The Honeymooners "Classic 39" On Blu-ray October 15th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got the entire Lucy series in that beautiful box for around $59 when Amazon had one of their one day sales early this year. They look so good that I think I will just live with the standard version.

Michael likes this.
  2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Not sure if this has been addressed here yet, but yes the scene seems to have been restored on the Blu Ray...looks as good as the rest of the episode....which makes the previous change even more curious.

One thing I want to note after watching the new set is that sometimes a camera was not quite as crisp as the others. There would be a cut to a shot that wasn't as sharp...but usually the change is so slight that it wouldn't have been noticed in a non-HD environment.

3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have been enjoying the heck out of the Bluray set but I have to say that my favorite show on the set is actually the 1966 musical remake of "The Adoption." Even with the musical numbers the show seems more in line with the 1950s shows, the timing is better and overall doesn't have the same awkward feeling like the color musical shows do. I am not sure if it is Audrey Meadows or just the excitement of playing the characters for the first time in years but it makes me wish she had stayed for the remakes from 1966-1970.

4. Who the heck in there right mind would want to see "Roseanne" in HD? SD hell is where that show should reside forever. LOL

Benno123 likes this.
  5. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Fantastically witty show about regular people, up there with the best comedy shows ever.

chilinvilin likes this.
  6. Don't get me wrong I love the show but....

Technocentral likes this.
  7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I love The Honeymooners (including the underrated Lost Episodes) but I was thinking I didn't really need to upgrade to Blu-ray -- until I saw this amazing-looking trailer! This Classic 39 Blu upgrade will now be mine!

Ohhhhh Babby!

8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

$41.96 at Amazon -- ORDERED!

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes I too think the DVDs look fantastic!

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Ordered mine too. A great price that clinched the deal!

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Same here....but I ordered it for all the extras! They don't have many left!

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I bit in July at $65 despite having the DVD set. You're getting a better deal of course, but no regrets here. I'm glad I have it.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Hmm, I might finally have to bite on this. That's roughly $1 per episode.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I also have the reg dvd set. It saddens me to see it so cheap, sometimes around $10 for such a great show!

15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I just got mine tonight after work. The first (& only) episode I watched was "Funny Money" which is one of my favorites. It looks great! After that I went from disc to disc to check out the bonus material. The bonus material was entertaining. I then decided to play "American Scene Magazine: The Adoption (1966)". It was so awesome!!! Worth the price of the set! It looked as if they never changed except getting older. This musical version won me over big time. Five minutes into this episode I was in awe! I am so glad to have this Blu-Ray set of "The Honeymooners Classic 39 Episodes. I highly recommend it & when you do get it, go to the last disc & watch the musical episode. You will be impressed as I was!

Benno123 likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I got mine today too from Amazon. I enjoyed the special features so much I didnt even get around to watching any episodes yet! I agree that the special features are alone worth the price of this wonderful set. I noticed Amazon doesn't have many left so amyone on the fence should probably grab one. I wouldnt be so sure that they would make more.

Benno123 likes this.
  17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The 1966 "The Adoption" show may actually be my favorite Honeymooners skit. But that is right now ... my opinion will change in 10 minutes!

18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ok, I caved in, it's been in my wish list for EXACTLY a year today. It was $75 when I added it back then.

$41.96 free shipping brand new blu ray set.

To save a few bucks and wait longer or to get it used does not seem worth it.

At some point it will go back up, I'm thinking this is the bottom price and even if it goes lower at this point $20 less does not make a huge difference to me. And honestly, I'm in the mood to watch all this start to finish.

I can't wait.

[​IMG]

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Oh, to get The Jackie Gleason Show in any way, shape or form...

Benno123, chilinvilin and Shawn like this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Got the blu rays spinning right now, this looks FANTASTIC! Well worth the $42 I paid.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday and ordered this set. Crazy thing is, I paid a little bit extra and had it delivered SAME DAY! We're living in the future!

22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Just read up on this a bit, I did not know the Flintstones 4 main characters were based on the 4 from this.

EdgardV likes this.
  23. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Makes a lot of sense. Easy to see now that you say it. Even the voices are very similar.

chilinvilin and GuildX700 like this.
  24. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Not only that but I believe one of Gleason's writers also wrote for the Flintstones (but I could be wrong on that).

EdgardV likes this.
  25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm more than halfway through this blu ray set.

Boy....It must have been hot as hell on that set, more often than not Art and Jackie are sweating like pigs, it is just rolling off their faces. Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.