The Wachowski's "Jupiter Ascending"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

As many reviews mention, for many viewers one of the least satisfying aspects of JP was lack of character development & the confusing story (both of which I agree with), not to mention cramming multiple-but-interesting secondary stories in there. I've already mentioned the choppy editing style probably being some of the cause of this & hoping for a director's cut to restore those possibly-missing portions, and someone participating in another discussion says this about that:
    Wow, almost an hour?! I've never read that anywhere before - if that's true, maybe we *will* get a director's cut and in turn an improved JP. :thumbsup:

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

At least during the Disco Era.

3. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Minor correction: when I wrote "JP" above I meant "JA" (Jupiter Ascending). Must be my allergy medication......:cool:

4. Oh yes they were. Horrible films. Worse that the Star Wars prequels

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, I accept it but, do not agree with it...

6. Ghostworld

I really would like to see "Jupiter" but the reviews are so damn awful! This one's funny.

"Jupiter Ascending vibrates like an episode of Star Wars retold by a teenager on Red Bull".

Vidiot and Mazzy like this.
  7. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Go ahead and see it and make up your own mind. I saw "Jupiter Ascending" (and liked it a lot). I believe the reviewers were in some other dimension...where all mental activity and comprehension was forbidden to them.

Tree of Life and Michael like this.
  8. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I bet if this movie only cost say $80M many people wouldn't have such snarky opinions. I truly think this is not a bad movie, just a tad confusing and it's certainly not boring. Remember though it's definitely not your standard-issue "mass market" sci-fi movie i.e. no cute aliens with glowing fingers etc so that may be another factor as far as the number of negative reviews.

9. These guys made two great movies now they are hacks Too bad.

10. Ghostworld

To me mass market sci-fi is evil galactic empires lorded over by decadent British aliens threatening the earth, which this one sort of looks like from the trailer.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

13. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

This was better than I expected. Nothing great, but enjoyable. Like most current films, the action scenes drag on too long, but it kept me engaged.

14. Ghostworld

I saw it today (finally) at the $3 theater. It wasn't painfully bad, it was just so very mediocre that it was a waste of money and talent. I kept thinking of all the "Star Wars" clones of the 70s and 80s that tried to recreate the magic and failed -- that's exactly what this was: a bad attempt at creating a Star Wars movie. While it wasn't horrible (although a few bits of dialog were incomprehensible), it was hokey and the ending was laughable bad. I mean, I laughed out loud it was so stupid. I'm referring to the "You better look out your window" bit. WHA?!?!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Vidiot likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

perfectly put...

darkmass likes this.
  16. Sorry...nothing is as bad as the Star Wars prequels. The second Matrix flick was horrible. The third was just an empty blockbuster.

17. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

I saw this the other night at the $2.00 movie theater...and still felt like it was a rip off. I had read the reviews that panned it but couldn't believe it was that bad. Wrong! It was so much worse than I was expecting; horribly miscast lead actress, silly story, too frequent and overly long fight scenes and incredibly lame ending, just to name a few. It was a very long way from Matrix.

18. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

On April 1st it's at the $3 theater. On April 9 it's at the $2 theater. By the end of the month it should be the freebie in a box of Cracker Jacks.

Hawklord likes this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Just watched the Blu Ray and loved it.

alexpop and bluemooze like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Latest 3D BD purchase. Enjoyed this.
    Not as good as Cloud Atlas, but much better than anticipated.

Larry Mc likes this.
  21. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Finally bought the Blu-ray, watched JA again and actually enjoyed it more than the first time in the theater (I liked it btw that time).

I think that occurred because there was no longer any pressure to "critically" review it while watching i.e. that first time there were the bad reviews in the back of my mind, the $170M budget to consider etc. This time it was to simply watch a movie. Yes the same slightly confusing story was present and sometimes-questionable dialog, but overall, a good/never boring show & totally worth my time and money. And of course, the awesome visuals. Btw I hope if that internet story that Warner Bros. had nearly 45 minutes cut is true (supposedly to quicken the story's pace), a director's cut is eventually released.

Lastly: I highly doubt this will happen, but a sequel featuring Caine and his buddy Stinger being involved in another adventure sounds interesting to me.

alexpop likes this.
  22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm a real curmudgeon about recent action/sci-fi movies, especially ones that are based upon (or seem like) comics. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this one when I rented the blu-ray. Sure, it was escapist and a bit silly, but it was so creative and well-realized that it was great fun. I even watched it a second time with my wife.

How did such high-grade actors, like Gugu et al, agree to do small roles in a movie like this? Is it because the Wachowskis have a good reputation?

23. alexpop

Ditto. Re; directors cut, in 3D.

24. alexpop

In development, but 'Cobalt Neural 9' looks interesting.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Finally got around to seeing Jupiter Ascending last night..... gawd, what a train wreck! Just another CGI crap-fest. Absolutely horrible, terrible, awful film. Hard to believe the same directors who gave us the excellent Bound and The Matrix have sunk to this level.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
    agentalbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.