Back To The Future appreciation and critique

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Trebor, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Saw the first one when it came out at the Whitman Theatre in Huntington Station, NY, and loved it from the first minute.

Well, to be honest, I loved it from about the fifth minute, as I was stuck in the lobby playing the best game of this that I had ever played:

Cut me some slack! I was 11 years old! :D

But yeah...the first movie is truly a classic. The 2nd and 3rd films are great but they can't even come close to number 1.

profholt82 likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Zookeeper is such an under-rated game! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    Chip TRG likes this.
  3. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Yep. That generation had big dreams and really pushed the envelope during their time on this earth going to the moon etc. No flying cars now and the near future and we really have slowed down somewhat as a species I think on some stuff.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, we went backwards...

5. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The writing is top-notch. Very well-scripted, imho.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i just love George McFly's laugh :p

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

A little piece of trivia from IMDb that had never really occurred to me before:

At the school dance, Biff is shown 'spiking' the punch with alcohol. In Back to the Future (1985) George is shown drinking the punch before confronting Biff in the parking lot. It may be that George's uncharacteristic courage in the original scene is attributable to drinking Biff's spiked punch.

:)

eric777 and sgtmono like this.
  8. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Now that is the definition of irony.

9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Over the course of the past week, I watched all 3 films, watched all the extra stuff on the DVDs, listened to the commentaries for all 3 films, and even listened to some Huey Lewis CDs in the car. I think I'm all BTF'd out for a while. :p

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Just came across a creepily inappropriate scene which, thankfully, was dropped:

Billy Infinity and GuildX700 like this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

What's creepy and/or inappropriate about it?

(That scene is included on the DVD extras, by the way). :)

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Well, it's 2015 and I'm spinning Back To The Future, I saw for a moment a Klystron control on the big guitar amp? Forbidden planet reference?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just drove by the Burger King on Victory Blvd. in Burbank the other day -- the actual place where Marty McFly skateboards by on his way to school -- and damned if "The Power of Love" didn't pop up on the iPod. I was sorely tempted to rev up to 88MPH just to see what happens... :eek:

[​IMG]

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Haha! That's awesome. :)

One day last year I was driving on the highway, and I saw a DeLorean in one of the other lanes, just a few cars ahead of me! I had never seen an actual DeLorean in real life before that, so it was a pretty mind-blowing moment. The owner was obviously a big Back to the Future fan, because he even had customized plates on it that said "TIMECAR". I was really tempted to try and snap a few photos with my phone (or maybe even follow the him and get some pics wherever he stopped), but I couldn't get close enough, and after a minute or two I lost track of the DeLorean completely. :p

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  16. mbrennem

mbrennem Active Member

Perhaps it got up to 88 and went whenever it was going. Did you see tracks of fire on the road? :D

Sammy Banderas and Deesky like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no matter how many times I watch the trilogy it never gets old...

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Just watched Parts 2 and 3 with my wife, who had never seen them. I hadn't seen them in years. A couple of questions:
    • Was the film's version of 2015 supposed to be serious? Obviously now that we're actually in 2015 it seems outlandish, but even at the time the movie came out it seems like this vision of the future would be a little over the top. Maybe intentionally goofy. Intentional or not?
    • How did Doc Brown make a new time machine in the old west without nuclear material? I'm referring to the train we see at the very end.

19. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I decided I would go to the "We're Going Back" fan event in California in October and in one of their FAQs, this made me laugh:
    Events that take place over the lunch or dinner hours will have food available. Eg. on the locations tour day, we will most definitely be eating at THE Burger King!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Doc says it himself, it runs on STEAM!

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I took that to mean that the steam propelled the locomotive itself, but not the time circuits. Earlier in the film they made a big deal about the Delorean needing gasoline to propel the car itself, but the time travel mechanism was powered by nuclear fuel.

22. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

He got the parts from the other DeLorean, which was still in the abandoned mine. He used those parts to build a time machine out of a train, then went to the future to acquire replacement parts for the same DeLorean, then went back to 1885 and rebuilt the DeLorean so that it would still be there when Marty needed it in 1955.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    GuildX700 and Vidiot like this.
  23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Makes total, logical sense. :sigh:

Aaaaaa, it's close enough for government work. At some point, I say, "shut up! These are great movies!"

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That's pretty convoluted, but I guess it does logically work. Is that the official explanation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.