Simple Minds -Sparkle In The Rain: 5 disc deluxe edition (March 2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godslonelyman, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

All three sectors flaws and all are still excellent packages, even with the lackluster 5.1 mixes, then again each were a lot cheaper than this boxset.

2. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I saw on Amazon where a reviewer had posted a message from Steven Wilson where he said he had already gone out on tour by the time a test disc was made so he never heard it and never would have given his blessing. He said the problem will get fixed but it might take some time as he may have to work on it when he gets some free time while on tour. I don't have time to do the leg work on this at the moment but may be able to track it down later. Maybe he has a website where he posts stuff like this?

3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Yes indeed, Wall Of Love seems to have been constructed with that in mind.

Street Fighting Years is a brilliant album, the last truly great Simple Minds album IMO. Soul Crying Out is one of the most beautiful melodies anyone has written.

dino77 likes this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

That exact same message was posted right here a few pages back as well.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

So it is, well cut off my arms and call me a clothespin.

6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

So many components mixed in courtesy of the production talents of the Horn and Lipson dynamic duo. It would make for a great re-issue with remixes that illustrate all those tracks. It is a very busy and exciting record.

dino77, Stuart S and onionmaster like this.
  7. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Street Fighting Years would be listenable if they had done an album like in the 60s without songs used for singles being replicated on album. Cut Mandela Day, Belfast Child and the Biko cover and perhaps you are left with an ok album.

8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Okay? I think it's brilliant. It's epic, raw and honest. Certainly not radio-friendly.

Surly and Havoc like this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You're right: the album 'proper' does finish with 'Let It All Come Down' and in fact I rarely listen beyond that track. But I also agree with Dino77 that what you get in the album up to that point is quite a bit better than okay.

onionmaster and dino77 like this.
  10. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I love Street Fighting Years. It's probably my second favorite SM album after NGD. The Horn/Lipson production is great, and unlike Sparkle where you have a Lou Reed cover, on SFY you actually get a performance by Mr. Reed himself!

Surly, dino77 and Stuart S like this.
  11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

My only issue with SFY has always been the weak lyrics and subject matter of Mandela Day. Politics aside, he could have sung something as cheesy about Churchill or Reagan and I'd feel the same way. Something like this doesn't belong on an album. The music is great, too bad it was wasted. As for the rest, I listened to the album whilst soaking in my draught limited tub last night and those same adjectives sprung to mind, epic, raw and brilliant seem to fit and I think it was unbelievable luck that they snagged Trevor Horn and Stephen Lipson. Even though Mel dropped out (I still don't completely understand that dynamic), the finished product is on a plain with Disintegration with respect to its impact on the musical landscape. I was lucky enough to have spent some time in Europe in 89 and witnessed that scene which was so surreal given that in the US it hardly registered.

12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Mandela Day and Biko could have stayed on the Ballad of The Streets EP. The other 'political' songs on the album are more subtle. As for the Mel, it's fun to guess which songs he plays on...

13. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

...and although I like it, Belfast Child as well. I just tend to think of SFY minus the previously-released EP, which really should've been left off. Easy enough to do when listening, I suppose, since they're the last 3 tracks and it's a 40-minute album without them.

14. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Ha I remember that year, Distintegration and SFY. Belfast Child and Lullaby came out about the same time, I was blown away!! Loved SFY (hello Wembley!) but it took me a few more years for me to 'get' Disintegration. Now, I tend to play it a lot more than SFY...

15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

SFY is an excellent album, in sonics, lyrics and musicianship.
    What makes it even better? - Stewart Copeland is on it! Even if its just one song.

jamesc likes this.
  16. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Is he providing just hi-hat à la "Red Rain?"

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I've no problem with Belfast Child and while Biko feels a little out of place, I do like the sonics of it. Mandela Day has always struck me as a kind of creepy song that school kids might sing under the threat that if they didn't they may never see their parents again. It's just so simplistic that compared to the majestic themes elsewhere in the album it does a bit of a disservice.

18. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Biko I could easily live without. Mandela Day I like for its simplicity.

19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Ballad of The Streets ep wasn't released in the US and as by that time the band were chasing US success its only natural that all three tracks ended up on the album.

Personally I think all three tracks are average to weak, Belfast Child (new lyrics over an old Irish folk tune), a cover (SM have never been good at covers IMO) and Mandela Day, whilst the sentiments are laudable it was, by their own admission, written in a rush for the Mandela concert at Wembley and is pretty weak.

I always thought that Belfast Child was a rip off of Ultravox's We All fall Down anyway.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  20. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Re Mandela Day, as some would know there's a rough/demo version floating around, apparently taped off a radio show prior to the Mandela event. Different enough to be a early take, and imo superior to the album cut.
    Remember Kerr described the ambition of SFY as 'reinventing the pop genre' (or something).
    The title track is a stone cold classic and fits the bill.

dino77 likes this.
  21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Maybe they should have done an American edition of the album, leaving out the overtly Euro-political songs (including Mandela Day and Biko - Apartheid was a bigger newsitem in Europe I guess).

22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

you guess wrong, but politics cannot be discussed on the forum.

Artists Against Apartheid was started in the US however.....

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

OK that was only a guess :). Though 'Sun City' was a bigger success in Europe, Canada and Australia as many US radio stations refused to play it.

Suffice to say that Belfast Child probably didn't appeal to US radio programmers.

24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Belfast Child was never released as a single in the US, This Is Your Land was the US single, that's why Belfast Child was never played.

25. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

"Here comes the son
    The American son
    In here the son shines so bright
    Eyes blind
    What do you know about this world anyway?"

dino77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.