Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You have to love hyperbole on the interwebs. The guy likes analogue, but CDs are quaint. Yeah, that's it.

nbakid2000 and billnunan like this.
  2. I've got hundreds (probably 1000 plus in truth) of CD's. Why would I dump them? Is there something better out there that I've missed?

Tim 2 likes this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Agreed. I still occasionally listen to analog but when I want to forger about everything else accept music, CD's are clearly the better choice.

SteveM likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I took some of my unwanted discs to the local not for profit thrift. They are always in need for decent stock, even if it is a copy of Blonde on Blonde.

Rock66 likes this.
  5. Try giving them a copy of Shadows In The Night and see if they take that or politely suggest you are making a mistake by offering it to them instead of keeping it in your prized collection. ;)

6. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Finally got an offer for my CD dump.... 750 CD for 25 bucks since I only have the booklet and the CD (no back cover or jewel case). I preferred to throw them away in the garbage this morning.

It's a useless medium with other technologies that have surpassed it. It's just a cylinder of plastic and aluminium, the fact that I have everything now in MP3 VBR0 and FLAC on not only 1 hard drive but a backup and another backup physically outside my house.

I now have instant access to everything everywhere I am around the earth via my Plex server and 4G. There is no way of losing any information unless 3 hard drive all give up at the same time, which statistically has less chance of happening then losing all my CD via a fire or theft.

I felt a little twist of my heart this morning as I dropped those bags outside, knowing I spent at least 15k$ on them (now worth 25$!), but in the end the reward of listening to that music is a thousand times more important than the physical aspect of it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    MrRom92 likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's CDs till the bitter end for me. They'll be dumped into my casket along with me.

8. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

The processing will remove some information. When a high bit rate is used the loss is minimal. Changing the format from WAV (CD) to mp3 will remove some information.

9. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

He was talking about lossless decoding, e.g. WAV or FLAC. In lossless decoding you lose absolutely nothing as far as audio information is concerned, as contrasted by the lossy MP3, in the case of which regardless of the bit rate some audio info will be lost.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Mp3 is not lossless though.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

But some opinions might be "better" than others. :)

scobb and SteveM like this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Someone has got themselves a bargain. Perfect for the car.

Rodz42 likes this.
  13. I'm glad personally that I don't "chase" newer technology. My 'old fashioned' CD's play in a traditional CDP and that is it. I don't need to store them on a remote device or phone or tablet for access. You're welcome to keep the future, I'll happily live in the past! :D

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Only if they were dumpster diving. He decided to throw them in the trash rather than sell for chump change.

Rodz42 likes this.
  15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I don't know what the law says in Canada but in most countries those FLAC and mp3 files you are playing need to be either legally bought or "fair use" copies of something you bought in another format. Now you have no means to prove that you bought anything.

Clonesteak likes this.
  16. Who would he need to prove anything to exactly? I doubt the police are going to raid his house any day soon demanding to know "Where d'ya get the FLAC, Jack?"

17. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Well maybe he racks up huge electricity bills, they think he's growing something funny in the basement and pay a visit...

I don't know... With a music industry on its deathbed it's hard to tell where they will try to get money from....

18. I've been reading constant reports of an industry on its deathbed but to my mind it's all a woefully exaggerated claim. Just look at the amount of times it's made us idiots re-purchase the same records over the years. It's quite adept at finding ways to get money!

19. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

This will never happen.......I'd be willing to bet my life on it

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's a matter of opinion.

Bemagnus likes this.
  21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I love my cd collection as much as my album collection, for me it's until death do us part. I don't trust back ups, external drives can die on you, computer hard drives die. This happenned to me one time, never again.

22. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Never! I love my cds, I love my vinyl records.If you master them properly, they are more than enough to provide an excellent sound.

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I hope you also arranged for an off-site copy of your digital files.

24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Well, I think I'm ready to dump a few rare CDs. Off to the forum marketplace! If you like discs recalled/pulled from the market, limited editions, studio reference discs, demos, and 35DPs, I will gladly add my dump to your collection. I'd dump them all if I could.

25. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Bad idea, sell in haste, repent at leisure

Nick Dunning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.