Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Proud early adopter of this now-unfashionable music format. I have yet to hear better music playback.

2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

I'd bet your life on it, too. I wouldn't bet my life on anything :)

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Right. I must have misread his post.

jsayers likes this.
  4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I understand everything you said in the latter 3 paragraphs about moving on from the physical medium and it certainly seems like you planned it out well and are safe with the amount of backups you provided yourself. The only thing that you executed poorly if I may be so bold, is the dumping of the CDs themselves. Someone would have given them a home even in the state they were in, but now they're just going to be sitting out in a landfill somewhere. That's the only issue I had with your post. I certainly wouldn't have done it, I love my CDs but I understand and respect it. I just wouldn't have dumped them in the trash.

anthontherun and Yost like this.
  5. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I had an offer of a used store for 25$, that's 2-3 cents per disc. No way I'll accept this. I also thought about keeping them as a gift of music to somebody else, but anyway that person would probably want to listen to them in any method *but* via a CD player. Who uses a CD player anymore except a small % of people? Look around you, CD players are an outdated technology. Car manufacturers are dumping them, computers ship without them, do you even see somebody walking with a portable CD player anymore?, and CD/DVD player are even sometimes difficult to find in electronic stores...those same electronic stores that are going out of business!

Rodz42 likes this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I guess it depends on where you do your dumping. I got between $0.75 to $0.95 per disc at Half Price Books when I dumped a bunch of CDs last year. All told, I ended up with about $650 to spend on vinyl.

That was over a year ago, and regret hasn't sunken in yet.

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm buying which I never thought I would be to the degree I have. Prices are just to good to pass up.
    garage and estate sales are silly cheap with often really good stuff.
    The music store by me is still asking 5 to 8 bucks for them.
    they never seem to move.
    The sales I pay 50 cents to 2 bucks.

Rodz42 and rswitzer like this.
  8. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Was that with the booklets, rear insert and cd case?

9. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

You'll regret it when the FLAC-police show up at your door to verify where your CD rips came from.

Mark my words.

MrRom92 likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They didn't have the rear inserts (do HPB take CDs without barcodes?).

11. Schoolmaster Bones

They won't take anything that isn't complete, or in less than very good condition.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

But your music collection can be re-authorized by subscribing to our new download/streaming service for only [insert monthly fee here]!

People think this is a paranoid fantasy, but BMI/ASCAP goes around shaking down bars, restaurants and Mom & Pop stores for playing music over their speakers. You still think your cloud devices won't likewise someday get served by autobot?

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They would be a tough sell, but lots of people still have ability to rip CDs. As for the future: they still make VCRs because enough people have large collections. There are even more CDs than video cassettes, so I think finding a device to play/rip them is probably going to be fairly straightforward.

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I wouldn't rely on a cloud based service. You have no control.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's what I thought. I bought some CDs once that came from someone who stored them away in those binders. Fortunately, they still had the rear inserts, which were folded. They were fairly rare pressings; wouldn't have touch them otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  16. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

BMI/ASCAP... such good people :righton:

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Anyone who can't sell CDs because they're in bad shape should go to Bookman's in Frederick MD. I visited there a couple of years ago and found 5 or 6 interesting CDs, but they were all trashed! I started to wonder if they only accepted CDs that'd been beaten to hell! :shake:

When I say they'll take anything, that might really be true - they even had a homemade CD-R of "James Taylor's Greatest Hits" on the shelf! :laugh:

Rodz42 and Dave S like this.
  18. Benefactor

+1

Never have trusted "the cloud" with sensitive data including my music library.

Multiple redundant backups including at least one offsite is the only way to go.

19. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Hey with your logic I'm gonna throw all my CDs away & maybe my vinyl as well!!!!

20. Schoolmaster Bones

I can't even remember the last time I used my CD player.

It sort of reminds me of my main system's last cassette player, back in the '90s. It probably sat on that shelf unused for a couple of years before I removed it. Forgotten, but not gone.

21. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

That's nostalgia indeed. We are going towards a non-material culture, why would I keep things that just collect dust? I have the music, it's there, I listen to it. I do not need a aluminium and plastic cylinder to do so anymore.

I actually felt relieved when I threw the garbage away. I would look at the archive box and I always felt guilty for having 15k$ worth of... stuff that I don't use anymore. Then I understood that the container is irrelevant ; only the music is important. The container made me able to discover it, only that.

Benefactor likes this.
  22. Benefactor

I use my universal player once in a blue moon to spin a DVD-A or SACD.

I think the last time I fired it up was to check out the recent MOFI Grateful Dead SACDs.

Aside from those times, the optical disc transport is fairly lonely...sitting next to the racks of DAT equipment I paid thousands of dollars for a long time ago, and haven't used for many, many years.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, right.

People are just as materialistic today as before, only it's different stuff.

Rodz42, Thievius and jsayers like this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Ever thought of selling the equipment. I have some stuff that I don't use. If it doesn't sell, then it's off to the charity shop. They didn't get much for some books that I donated, but at least they were reused.

jsayers likes this.
  25. Benefactor

There really isn't a market I know of for DAT transports with thousands of hours on them...the stuff on ebay is pretty much being given away.

For the amount of money, time, and effort I invested in DAT when it was a relevant/viable format, I'll hold onto my DAT decks for nostalgia's sake if for no other reason at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.