Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's exactly why a lot of folks want to hold on to their physical media, too. :)

Justin L. likes this.
  2. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Understood...I worked in the retail music business for a long time, and had amassed many thousands of compact discs by the time I started looking into ways to get around the limitations of physical music media.

I live in a very small apartment...if things were different, I might have considered keeping all that plastic for nostalgia's sake, but I got out of CD's when there were still a handful of local stores that specialized in used CDs, and would pay reasonable money for them.

No regrets on getting rid of them all as stated already...would feel kind of strange about parting with professional DAT decks I paid thousands for in exchange for pennies...or just putting them in the dumpster - although at this point I doubt that I'll ever fire the decks up ever again.

Let's not even discuss the few thousand DAT tapes I still have boxed up in a closet that I amassed when DAT blanks were 7-10 bucks a tape.

:rolleyes:

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I have three DAT tapes which I used for data storage many moons ago. Not much call/use for them anymore. They may go in the trash as I don't think I will ever be able to recycle them.

4. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

No, I'm not selling off or giving away my CDs (or vinyl records) anytime soon.

I sold a few CDs and, even worse, CD box sets about 10 years ago and regret doing that now. I've repurchased some of the box sets but not all of them. Many are now out of print, pricey and hard to find in good condition.

As some people have mentioned, it's very difficult to get fair value back in selling your used CDs, including collectible ones. Your best bet would be to sell them online on a site like Amazon, but even that's an iffy proposition.

And even if I did think I could get fair value back on my CDs, I'm not selling them because collecting them is my hobby! I realize that most of the public is fine with digital downloads. But I'm part of that small group (along with many people on this Web site) that prefers the sound CDs and vinyl records provide and also enjoys collecting physical media because you have something tangible to look at and hold. The artwork, liner notes and packaging -- that's all part of the appeal, too.

Can you really collect digital downloads? I guess ... but I don't think it would be as fun as collecting CDs or vinyl records.

Probably the only way I'd sell off my CD and vinyl collections would be to another music fan and collector, someone who would appreciate the music in the same way that I do. And I probably wouldn't do that until later in my life.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Absolutely. People may be moving away from physical media, but its got nothing to do with being less materialistic, its a matter of convenience.

6. serge

serge Forum Resident

I will not part with my 78s .... yes they take up three houses but there is nothing like them....

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Joe Bussard, is this you?

[​IMG]

Tangotusk, mooseman, Rodz42 and 4 others like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's always a good thing...

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

different strokes...

10. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Like I said earlier, I'm far from getting rid of my CDs and am in fact buying them more now than I have since I started collecting in the late 80's / early 90's. However this thread has got me thinking about what keeps me interested in CDs. I already have my entire collection archived to FLAC and very rarely (if ever) actually play the CDs anymore. I think what keeps me interested in the physical media is the artwork and liner notes. I honestly wish there was a resource for complete high quality digital artwork. I don't mean just the CD covers, I'm talking about everything (cover, complete booklet etc.) that was included with the original physical release. I would think if the record companies (or artists) offered the artwork bundled with high quality (lossless) digital music that more people would legitimately purchase it.

11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

It's simply an 'outstanding time' to be buying CDs.

A few months ago I picked up 4 minty Frank Zappa's at the GW (!) for $2 each. Unreal. I'm only wondering what else was dropped off that I missed.

At a garage sale I bought 300 for $125. Almost all great titles '68-'74 or so. Even 2 MFSL golds. Sell the golds and 298 CDs for free!! :) It's just crazy. In the mix: Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage, Japanese pressed 3 CD set! So cool.

I was at the Salvation Army and saw a small leather CD carry case, FULL of really great CDs. Including rare Greatful Deads and even some 'live concert' CDs. I was astonished. I asked the lady how much it was... She said $2.00.

:bdance:

I just hope, in the future, it's not hard to find quality CD Only players. You never know.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    mooseman, Justin L. and Rodz42 like this.
  12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I will feel bad for that guy if a earthquake hits and all those shelves give out, that will be one massive mess to clean.

I have about 1000 CD's to dump when I get a server to load them in.

13. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Plus, he might die. :shake:

ARK likes this.
  14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Those are vinyls....will survive... CD jewel cases....those are a pain..

15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I've stocked up on 'like new', empty, Double CD jewel cases, Just a good idea. Got many single cases too. Someday the doubles just won't be around anymore.

Get them while they are hot!

gregr likes this.
  16. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

He had no back J Cards for them anymore. That is why the offer was terrible. I get why he threw them away, although I would've probably had a yard sale and unloaded em that way. Maybe could've squeezed a bit more than 25 bucks and had some beers in my yard while doing so :cool:

Dave S likes this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Actually those are shellacs.

SoporJoe likes this.
  18. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    mooseman and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Until a couple years ago, I would have said there's no chance an earthquake will damage Joe Bussard's 78 collection. But we had a 5.8 earthquake in 2011 that did damage to some DC monuments, among other things.

20. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

This is somehow true. A lot of people that I frequent every day (Gen Y mostly) have gone past the typical consumerist society and try to live their live in a different way. It's still capitalist, but in a different form. The current "home" setup is slowly transforming, it is a thing that only existed since post-war anyway when you think about it... it's not a standard of civilisation. Some people have everything they want right at their hand just using a tablet. You do not need physical media for anything artistic anymore. Bluetooth speakers in each room, central media system, no bookshelves, no TV (they all watch their tablets), the sofa is almost used as much as the bed, and often used as a bed with much more depth then before. They don't have tables anymore since every social interaction is done outside the house or virtually and they eat on it anymore. Condos are the new way of life and you gotta cut somewhere : technology has answered their call of convenience. Tech companies answer to what they think will sell more. People asked to eliminate the physical medium and they did it.

21. DreadPikathulhu

I can think of worse ways to go out.

22. DreadPikathulhu

That picture convinces me that I need to buy more.

supersquonk, billnunan and Rodz42 like this.
  23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe things are different in Montreal, but here in the UK, people have decluttered their homes partly due to taste, and partly due to the fact that houses are incredibly small on average. Instead of clutter, people now spend their money a big wide screen TV that they can affix to the wall, or a jacuzzi in the bathroom. They also have more expensive cars (BMWs are relatively common). As for physical media: the internet and napster allowed people to eliminate or avoid it. Why pay when you can download it for free. Realizing that they couldn't exist on falling physical sales, the labels switched to streaming. Of course, your age will often determine how you see physical media. For those people born after 1990, then illegally downloading songs was often the only option. No need for the CD. No need to pay. People born earlier are more likely to own CDs. I'm not sure what they are doing instead of playing CDs, but they are dumping them. Maybe they have a music server. Perhaps they are simply streaming music. I think people born after 2000 are more likely to stream music rather than download. One thing is sure: there will be a steady supply of CDs for years to come.

Rodz42 likes this.
  24. crazysurf

crazysurf Forum Resident

Mine are staying with me...... at least until I go deaf!
    I spent too much time treasure hunting them along with my vinyl. I did back them up on my computer, but after losing two back ups to drive failures, I'm not in any hurry to dump the physical media. Plus, now I get to treasure hunt for all of the stuff that I couldn't afford before. Picked up a DCC and two MoFi's for $2 each at the last local library association sale and lots of older jazz that I hadn't heard before.

Front 242 Addict, mooseman and Dave S like this.
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I wonder how much longer CD players will be manufactured. 5 years? 10?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.