advice for attending record shows?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jojo209, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojo209

jojo209 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you've never been to a record show, love records and shows are scarce by you, I'd say yes! I can't wait for the next one by me.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The last one I went to had lots of 'new' vinyl and all the prices were exactly the same as retail. That meant at least 5 stall holders were completely wasting their time and serious dealers missed out on a stall.

3. jojo209

jojo209 Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I'm chiming in as a dealer. It doesn't hurt to haggle. As a dealer, the more a customer spends the more likely I am to negotiate a price. Same goes for past customers. I price my records to 'move' at shows, but on some I won't budge on the price, as they are already priced pretty damn competitively, but don't insult the dealer. Last year I had a Them ST promo, vg+/vg+ (mono) priced at 25 bucks. A buyer offered me $8.00, arguing that it was a common record and I had it priced to high. Needless to say, he did not end up with the album and I wouldn't budge on any thing else he had in his stack.
    Most of us don't mind flippers. I have too much stock to worry about whether an lp I have for sale at $10 can be flipped on Ebay for $20, but don't insult us by trying to rip us off. (Yes I've had Richard heads put records in the $1.00 bin and try to sneak it by me, too.)
    If you are a true record hound, pay in advance for a table so you get early entry. I know several cats who 'buy' a table and don't even set up.
    If you see a record you are wanting, buy it then and there. Don't 'come back' hoping it will still be there as it most likely will not!
    Finally, yes I believe in record Karma. You treat people fairly and it will come back to you. Treat them like feces and the smell ends up on you!

jojo209 and Mr. LP Collector like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.