Back to Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joao Paz, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joao Paz

Joao Paz New Member Thread Starter

Greetings!

I just joined the forum - been reading it for a couple of weeks already :)

My father had a record store in the 60s-70s - mostly jazz and classical, but also the current pop-rock stuff. My father and that store mak some of the very best memories of my life!

Always loved vinyl, but with the digital frenzy in the 90s I started loosing touch with it. Ended up listening to music like most of people these days(?) ... in my car, on the laptop, smarphone, etc. It's kind of strange not having THE place to listen to music.

I don't remember what triggered it but suddenly I had to go back to vinyl; bought a new turntable and some of the new jazz vinyl releases..... and suddenly there was this shadow "are these LPs the real thing?" ... the sound seemed suspicious at times.
    So I started looking around and that's how I ended up here. Every Google search on the issues of vinyl led me to this place.

Hope to chat with some of you guys :)

This weekend I ended up buying a pack of old LPs - 17 - with a great deal of old Blue Note, Riverside and other labels (USA and French editions) ... some Mono records among those too!
    I still cleaning the whole stuff, taking pictures, packing .... and listening to these wonders :)

There's no going back now!

Thanks for reading,
    Joao

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

welcome! and enjoy the never ending quest of vinyl perfection!

Joao Paz likes this.
  3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

A lack of storage space and poverty will quickly ensue. :righton:

Laibach, Sailfree, tin ears and 3 others like this.
  4. Joao Paz

5. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum! Tell us about some of these record store memories please!

Joao Paz likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Tá legal !!!!!! Essa é a direcao certa. Congrats !!:edthumbs:

Joao Paz likes this.
  7. Joao Paz

Thank you!
    Oh man...! Here's just a few "snapshots"! You'll get the picture :)

The store - the store is closed, all through the night listening LPs and doing some tapes - George Benson!
    Sound cabin - going in with a load of LPs, to listen all through the afternoon .. 1973 "Sladest" from Slade :)
    Gifts - Dad arrives home with a just-released "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, wow!
    First day of holidays - Dad arrives home with a bunch of tapes from the latest releases, to hear on the road
    At home - dad and I lying on the couches listening to the just released "The Koln Concert" by Keith Jarret, 1975

Mr Bass, IanL, Raylinds and 1 other person like this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

JorgeGvb and Joao Paz like this.
  9. Joao Paz

Thanks Ray!
    :D Already ordered 3 from them ... they're on the way.

...and of course I found about MM reading this forum ;)

10. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Beautiful, I like the last one most!

Joao Paz likes this.
  11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

If you find something you like that's available in 45rpm ... try it.

Joao Paz likes this.
  12. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Welcome , most important thing enjoy the music & your equipment is just a means of getting there.

Joao Paz and timztunz like this.
  13. Joao Paz

Will do for sure! I see Music Matters also released 45s :)

14. Joao Paz

I know what you mean, in the end it's always the music..

15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I assume you mean that the sonics on the reissues did not sound as you remembered the original vinyl to sound. Reissues are dependent on the source used for the remaster as well as the remastering engineer and the quality of the vinyl itself. This Forum is good for that kind of information. In many cases record labels are very secretive about the sources used and the nature of the editing/remastering done; what is called "provenance".

Currently analog tapes are often digitized before remastering either because of fragile tape or simply because digital files are easy to fiddle with. Sometimes they are digitized at CD rates; less often at high rez rates (96/24, DSD etc.) Always try to find out information about the reissue prior to purchasing it. You will save a lot of money that way. There is a thread here on pure analog remasters (AAA).

Joao Paz likes this.
  16. Joao Paz

Yes... in the frenzy of the first couple of weeks I ended up with 9 of those... half of them are really poor and the other half looks like various degrees of respectability :)

But I'm also emjoying some used ones I just got and doing some research on them - pretty funny!
    So far I identified a 1966 Riverside Mono reissue of a 1960 Mono first release - Wes Montgomery "Movin' Along"
    and a 1964 Riverside French edition of "Boss Guitar", also from Wes.

...and of course have loads of my old LP collection to catch up with! :)

Thanks for the insight, too!

17. Mr Bass

Well there is a distinction between vinyl era reissues and current (post 1995) reissues. For vinyl era reissues, as you mention here, you will often need to look at and understand the deadwax information or have a feel for the character of different countries' pressings. (There are fairly consistent sonic differences between UK, German, Japanese and US pressings.) For vinyl era reissues there is more the issue of what kind of tape they used rather than digitization, unless they came out in the 8os.

Joao Paz likes this.
  18. Joao Paz

Thanks again Mr Bass!

A bit off-topic, but if you were to buy used records, what you'd look for, what you'd pass?

19. Mr Bass

I can't give a simple answer. It depends on the specific record you are seeking. In general the original pressing will sound best for pop and jazz but you pay more and have to deal with variable defects related to use. Again I would search in this site and elsewhere for any specific record you are interested. There may well be good sounding reissues at a fraction of the originals cost.

Joao Paz likes this.
  20. Joao Paz

sound advice :) :) thank you!

21. Joao Paz

Here's one of the old LPs that's making me happy these days :)

L.P. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.