Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

She had a South African accent. I'm no good on character names, but she was presumably waiting for the bad guy E&P captured to drag the guy who eventually necklaced him out the back door.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Really good episode last night. The scene with Kerri and the old woman was intense. And, finally, someone got through to Kerri in an emotional way. The stuff about "that's what evil people say to justify their actions..."

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A powerful episode tonight.

5. shokhead

Wow, they did it. That was good stuff.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Love this show!

Encuentro likes this.
  7. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Great drama. Excellent show.

8. kwadguy

Trying to guess where they might go now with the daughter plotline...Hard to figure out what direction that will take...

9. shokhead

Could go she talks to the FBI neighbor, tells her pastor, brother finds out or a few other ways. Pretty exciting to see where it goes.

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The way I see it going is that she gradually starts to ask questions, and from there, it will very gradually lead to her joining the cause. I don't see her ratting on her parents or telling Henry. By the way, Holly Taylor, the actress who plays Paige, is amazing! She really knocked it out of the park in that episode!

JimC and trem two like this.
  11. shokhead

Don't see her telling hennery either. Don't see her ratting on her parents either but I don't see her joining them.

12. kwadguy

It seems to me that having her join her parents is pretty unrealistic. She might love them, but she was born and raised in America and was never taught anything other than the American way of life. For her to now think "oh, I get it, let me help defeat the American Fascist pigs" does not follow. She has to deal with her whole life at home being a lie, but I don't believe the answer to that is to join the liars in their cause, even if she still loves them.

That said, I don't see her intentionally turning them in, either.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don't think it will happen all at once. It will be a long struggle, an emotional roller coaster ride over the course of a few seasons, but I believe she will end up, down the road, joining the cause. She is a very impressionable teenager looking for a cause.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Man, the eggshells they now have to walk on. . . their own daughter possibly turning them in. . .their Fed neighbor being chummier than ever . . .the Center wanting to initiate their daughter. . . their son caught up in the video game disease ;) . . . .

shokhead likes this.
  15. shokhead

She already has a cause and I don't see her as a impressionable teenager but a pretty smart girl.

16. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Somehow I see the "Center" getting very involved now that Paige knows, and I can see things getting pretty ugly as a result.

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Impressionable doesn't mean unintelligent. She is very smart. Many teenagers are impressionable in that they are open to new ideas. We'll see where it goes.

18. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

I can see them converting her as well. They could use the "Liberation Theology" angle to appeal to her religious views and work from there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_theology

Encuentro likes this.
  19. shokhead

I would be shocked if she converts but that's what makes this show good, we don't know and it can go many different ways.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Bummed they canceled The Bridge. I was into that show. Oh well, one less to take up DVR space I guess. And there's Fargo to look forward to returning.

shokhead likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I thought last week's show was absolutely fantastic, with Stan showing up at Martha's apartment; he, himself being questioned by his fellow agent; and the ongoing dance with unpredictable daughter Paige. When she was telling her dad about younger brother Henry being scared by thoughts of bears years ago and he mentioned he didn't know that, she responded "He made me promise not to tell" - which may have been my favorite line from a tv show this season. :)

Does it mean she can or cannot keep a secret - you can interpret that one how you like!

Btw, did folks in this thread note The Americans was awarded a coveted Peabody Award this week? And that was for LAST year's work - this season's been even better!

GMfan87', marcb and JimC like this.
  22. shokhead

If indeed she goes to Russia with her mom then I think when she comes back she won't be the same girl her dad said bye to. Just a thought.

marcb likes this.
  23. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

"Bear fear" was very popular in the 1980's.

JimC likes this.
  24. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Any chance the good pastor is from the Center?

I just caught up today and actually went back to last season to figure out the details of the other family of Illegals. I'd forgotten the son killed the family and had been approached by the Center without the parents' knowledge.

This third season, IMO, is the best yet. One of the top TV shows ever.

Encuentro and mrjinks like this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yeah, I see this too. She's an idealist and I can see her being convinced that the "egalitarian" cause is a just one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.