Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

A few posts back someone asked about CDJapan customer service. I purchased the SHM-CD Voodoo Lounge which was supposed to be the 2013 flat transfer. I never gave it a thought It sounded fine. After few months I discovered it was the 2011 version. I contacted CDJapan and asked if they would replace with the version I had ordered. The nice lady asked for pictures of the spine, CD, etc, and eventually told me that the version I wanted was not available. She offered me 5000 yen points ($5) as compensation. I accepted. But a week later her boss wrote me saying that this lady brought this to his attention and he was appalled at the measly (and he used that word) 5000 points. He gave me 17000 points (essentially a full credit) as well as insisting that I keep the CD. For what it is worth.

2. Their customer service is exemplary.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Sorry, when I did count them, I mistakenly counted some of them twice.
    Nevertheless, I've got your point and did the math... I should say:

Sadly, 635 thousand Japanese people understand that, but we still don't.

4. Ok. I have the Derek and the Dominos-Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs Platinum disc and it sounds really goood...except at 5:55 to 6:02 on "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" there is some weird digital sound/noise. I've never owned this album before so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Thanks!

5. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

I'll be interested too. Are these flat transfers?

6. Bumping my question.

7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have the SHM-CD (non-platinum), same exact mastering, I hear no digi noise whatsoever on "Have You Ever Loved A Woman".

danielbravo likes this.
  8. Awwwww maaan. Well that is depressing for me

9. I wonder if it's just my disc or has something to do with the platinum. I'll try it out on my other player and see if that helps.

10. jrice

jrice Senior Member

No noise at that spot on my P-SHM.

11. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

I just checked on CDJapan and these King Crimson Platinums seem to have had the release postponed, hopefully they will be released at a later date, I'm still praying for a Supertramp Crime Of The Century SHM Sacd and Platinum release.

12. toilet_doctor

New stuff is coming:

Captain Beefheart Doc at the Radar Station
    Captain Beefheart Ice Cream for Crow

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Captain Beefheart features Platinum SHM-CD format and HR cutting from 2015 DSD master, using the UK original analog master. Features an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese edition LP." May 27 release date.

I did not grow up enough to enjoy avant-garde of Cap Beefheart, preferring Cap Beyond instead, but pulling more titles from Virgin volt with release of all 3 versions looks very promising to me.

P.S.
    Tullman, it's for you:
    JETHRO TULL with THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA A Classic Case – Plays The Music Of Jethro Tull MINI LP CD 1 title + PROMO 8cm Single CD (Living In The Past). May 20th Release.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  13. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

14. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Flat Transfers but taken from what tapes?? I see these reissues have bonus tracks.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

See the Van Der Graaf thread for DR results. I won't spoil the surprise.

16. toilet_doctor

The Beave said:

Plan9, I have a question for you. I started collecting originally these SHM-SACD'S then switched when the Japanese market introduced the PLATINUM SHM-CD'S. I sold off the SACD's I had bought because, to my ears, the SACD's sounded, to my ears, consistent with what I hear from the Platinum version of the same cd.
    So, If the SACD'S SHMS were taken from the UK Analog Master Tapes,
    And the PLATINUM SHM-CD'S were also mastered off of the UK analog tapes, the only difference theoretically should be the higher resolution of the SACD'S correct??

"Hi the one and only Beave,
    That is correct, all the SHM-CDs we are talking about here are just converted from the DSD mastering of the SHM-SACDs. However depending on your system they can sound different. For example, I play them on different players; the SACDs sound smoother and have more "resolution", but that is expected." --
    Plan9

The Beave said:

Now one other question.
    On another thread about these 'boutique' Japanese format CD's, we still can't PIN DOWN what it is that a) causes some people to hear improvements on certain SHM/BLU SPEC/BS CD2/etc cd's over the same mastering on their 'regular' redbook version, yet when both are transferred to a PC environment, they end up sounding, played off of that platform, the same.
    Do you have any theory's/answers that would make sense to us scratching our heads??
    Have we been listening to 'superJitter' from regular cd's all these decades????

Thanks Man!
    the one and only
    beave

"I don't know what it is as everybody seems to have a different experience with these, but I think Endymion wasn't too far off base when talking about cognitive biases...
    Jitter can be one explanation, although the difference between "regular" CDs and the SHMs shouldn't produce significantly audible distortion. Maybe it is something else we don't know how to measure yet.
    However with what we know so far about sound reproduction from Compact Discs, there really shouldn't be a sound difference between standard CDs and SHMs, Blu-Specs or whatever.
    Personnally, I'm agnostic on the subject: I thought I sometimes heard a difference, but I haven't conducted ABX tests to confirm it is significant to my ears and brain." --
    Plan9

"It's dirty job, but somebody has to do it." -- expression

Why existed DSD file after been converted sounds different, depending on the carrier?

Endymion's "cognitive biases" are the answer. But, as "I'm agnostic on the subject: I thought sometimes" that those biases are not, as "I heard the difference, but I haven't conducted ABX tests to confirm..."

Come on, Plan9, you could do better than that.

Listen to me, Beave, because I will tell you naked truth without any political correctness and ironical over-smart terms (cognitive biases my a*s).

If mastering engineer cannot conduct the test, who will? Toilet_doctor?
    Yes, I will. I will compare SHM-SACD and Pt versions with the same transfer from UK Tape. (So far, I believe, we have only comparison SACD vs. Pt with different transfer from different Tapes, and Pt did win).

I think that your decision to switch from SHM-SACD to Pt was premature. If you remember, at the very beginning of "Platinum era", I conducted Pt vs. non-Pt test that left no doubts for me:

In Regular system there is no difference in sound between Pt and non-Pt.
    In the Hi-End system Pt sounds better, depending on the gear and system configuration.

The more refined system is, the more it will benefit from the Pt surface.
    Pt CDs are way more sensitive to the system configuration than non-Pt and SACD.
    In two Hi-End Systems with underpowered amplification Pt CD sounded harsh and edgy, while non-Pt and SACD easy overcame this issue.

Yes, Beave, Pt CD improves sound of 'red-book' CD in the terms of the instruments' separation, soundstage deepness and overall transparency of the sound.
    However, the fact is: from the people, who conducted the test, only one person reported really significant improvement in the sound, it's me. Let me repeat what I said: In my system difference in the sound Pt CD vs. non-Pt is huge.

Why? Because my system is exceptionally balanced. It took me 9 years to build and all these years I tried dozens Hi-End systems with different amplification. Finally, I came to conclusion:

To squeeze the best from your speakers, Min power of the amp must be twice as much, as is max power handling of the speakers.

Power handling of my B&W 802s is 500W, so I have two 1000W monoblocks, officially named KiloWatt Monoblock. (Such a powerful amp itself is another animal against 300-350W one, but it's another story for the equipment forum I will tell someday).

On a top of that I have Musical Fidelity Hybrid Nu-Vista CD player with 4 so-called Nu-Vistors tiny military grade metal tubes in the output stage, Limited Edition to 500 copies, came with 4 optional extra tubes (I bought just in case). That's how much tubes Antony Michaelson could obtain from the military sources. (It's not Emotiva, you was planning to buy, Beave.)
    Did I mention Single Crystal Silver Acoustic Zen Absolute cables throughout? No? Sorry about that.

All of these gave me possibility to get from the Pt CD the best sound. The investment I made in Hi-End system many years ago pays off, damn, now.

My point is:
    Would your system perform better with picky Pt CDs or with less sensitive their SHM-SACD counterparts, (if you will provide your system with SACD playback)?

Nobody can answer that question, but you. And the answer will guide you how to move on.

Pt CD in some system with good red-book player can outperform Hi-Rez disc, playing on the cheap player and the opposite.
    Even freaking 0101 file, which has no any material value at all, sounds better through good DAC.
    (In the matter of fact, has been played through the newest Berkeley Reference Alpha DAC, it outperformed any analog sources. And reviewer said: "it's a new digital standard" and "it's a bargain" for such a thing).
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/berkeley-audio-design-alpha-dac-reference-series/

"As always, everything depends on the system capability." -- Barry Diament

P.S.
    "Maybe it is something else we don't know how to measure yet." -- Plan9

The quantity of that we can measure so pitifully small against the fact that we cannot measure, it can simply be omitted.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just picked up the Platinum of Layla. Once again the guys at SHF know their schiit. Absolutely outstanding.

:edthumbs:

18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Thank You T.D. and Plan9, in all fairness to all who tried to answer my question on this matter.
    T.D., my system is a humble one, but the synergy it has way exceeds the cost of it. I wish we were neighbors! We could have so much fun wirh this. I Love Stereo Gear and music and find these things fascinating to explore! So again, thank you all for your thoughts on this. I justgot the 'blu spec cd 2 of jimi's 'Are You Experienced' and 'Axis' so I'll pop those into the Tascam tonight and see if there is any difference in sound quality between t1hat and the 2010 sony issue.
    The eave

Plan9 and toilet_doctor like this.
  19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I've been picking up some of the regular SHM (non-platinum) flat-transfers including:

Supertramp-Breakfast In America
    Camel-Moonmadness
    Wishbone Ash-Argus

So far, so good. I'm impressed.

Rockstar2112 and toilet_doctor like this.
  20. sherry lynn

sherry lynn New Member

Anyone know if this question was ever answered re: Beginnings 2014 Platinum SHM-CD??

21. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

It's confirmed to be the remix.

22. sherry lynn

sherry lynn New Member

Thanks, does that mean the reprise on the end is included?

23. toilet_doctor

New Uni release of Chamber Jazz band, coming on June 24:

Penguin Cafe Orchestra S/T
    Penguin Cafe Orchestra Broadcasting From Home

Each of 3 versions will be released in Promo slipcase box. (They didn't say yet which artwork will be used).

Dino likes this.
  24. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Sweeeet !
    Will try the S/T shm sacd

25. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I think I've read ever post in this 3 part thread ...

*Steps forward to accept award for diligence :)

...but I've not seen any feedback on The Band - The Band: Tom Waits - Rain Dogs and but one post on Roxy Music - Stranded.

I'm a late comer to the party and have just got pt Sticky Fingers and Exile and I'd love if the three listed were as big an upgrade as the Stones ones.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.