Lost Fellini film discovered...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R. Cat Conrad, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous Thread Starter

[​IMG]

International Press (IP) - Recently discovered in the estate of renowned director Federico Fellini were several unused scripts and reels of undeveloped footage thought to be from the auteur's most widely praised work 8 1/2 (1963). Believed to be alternate takes composed for international markets, the undeveloped film stock languished in a vault for decades. Labeled 8 3/4 on canisters, the unassembled footage turned out to be sequences shot for an intended sequel in development in 1964.

8 1/2 focused on the trials and tribulations of a director, a very personal and introspective film for Fellini. From the existing footage, 8 3/4 appears to focus on the struggles of actors and the realities of life on a working stage set. There is no way of knowing where the director intended to take this delightful story, but an ongoing search of other scripts in the late director's estate may turn up clues.

Although the undeveloped film remains a mystery at least the stored B&W footage has survived the ravages of time. Filmed with unidentified actors, existing sequences have the unmistakeable flair of the maestro's nuanced story-telling, but with little evidence as to why the film wasn't finished. Was the director pulled into another project? Did the funding evaporate? No complete script of 8 3/4 was found with the footage so it's doubtful that any reconstruction will be attempted.

IP reporting: 4/1/15

Jimi Bat likes this.
  2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was always hoping they'd turn up the rare work print, 4 1/4.

izgoblin and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  4. R. Cat Conrad

That'll probably be found next year. ;)

:cheers:
    Cat

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is everyone that worked on the film dead?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Often film shot and then not developed becomes unuseable after such a long period of time.

There is no mention of the development processing of the reels which is very odd.

Is this an April Fools joke

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It also presumes that h e could work on a sequel without anyone in the press or any actor mentioning it in over 50 years.

Plus his estate would have catalogued everything in his collection decades ago.

8. R. Cat Conrad

Not to my knowledge, certainly the actors in the staircase scene aren't.

Cat

If you figure out who the actors are in the scene above it should provide clues. :righton:

Cat

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I wish there really were a lost Fellini film, but with Mina Mazzini and Toto'.

10. R. Cat Conrad

Well, it probably wouldn't be AVATAR! Then again, who knows? ;)

Cat

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm game for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.