Beatles CD Box 1 - 077779130221 - The Bread Box - CD Issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Analogman, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

How many times, after the initial issue in 1988, was this box produced; THE CD VERSION, please?

I am trying to identify one

Sticker on the bottom stating design copyright Figment Houseware, England and a sticker on the back of the box "Made in Holland"

All of the discs are identified as "Holland" with the exception of a couple on which the label simply state made in the E.U.

The shipping box shows and EAN#; just place an extra "zero" in front of the one in my thread title

Also it shows "MediaMotion Manufacturing B.V."
    (I do know that B.V. is Dutch for essentially "limited liability", so that makes sense))

AO 4531457-11

I have seen several dates on various on-line sales (typical Amazon type cross pollinated from who knows where search engine gibberish) Only thing they all agree on is that it is the Beatles CD Box Set

Any help would be well received pinning this one down
    Thank you

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Analogman

An afterthought:
    None of the jewel cases in my "bread box" are wrapped or sealed in anyway (no bin/seal stickers on top either)
    I purchased this box new, from a record store, in person (Tower) so I know that is how mine came, clean and unwrapped

I've seen on-line sellers presenting this box both ways and claiming their sets as new, so that raises another question; which way is correct or did it occur both ways?

But, I have also seen a lot of sellers claiming their sets as "new" or "like new" and the Sergeant Pepper slip case and book are missing, so I know theys be jivin'

I have the little plastic envelope, still stapled with the bit of rubber foam and instructions on where to affix it on the bottom, about as "like new" as it can get

No brown "CEMA" shipping carton though, just the white box the bread box is contained in labeled "CD BOX 1" with the plastered label with all the bar codes and such, so I have no idea from which warehouse it originated

Thanks again

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

4. Analogman

5. Analogman

6. Analogman

Anyone know if this box was ever "re-issued" or distributed after 1988?
    Anyone?

7. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I remember being rather surprised after seeing the box on its own available for sale at a JB Hi-Fi store in Melbourne not that many years ago.

I bought it as a stand alone item back in the early 90's after I had already bought most of the CDs individually. JB Hi-Fi had lots of them at the time. So my box contains discs made in Holland, West Germany, Australia, U.K. and a number pressed by P+O with no country of origin.

I just pulled the box out to look at and mine has no ribbon for pulling the book out and of course the slats have pretty much fallen off the backing tape. On The Beatles, the white fatboy case is looking decidedly yellow, including the disc trays. I will say one thing about the box though, it has kept the discs looking in fairly mint condition including the jewel cases given they do not rub against each other.

8. Analogman

Thank you for your comments
    Still being in stores early '90s would make sense; it had only been out for a few years by then and I imagine there was plenty of product still in the pipeline
    I was wondering if it was re-issued much later, as in around 2000 or so (a date I keep seeing in descriptions at places like Amazon)
    As for your mixed bag-o-discs that might be the result of someone assembling the collection; as I understand it, the boxes were available for purchase sans CeeDees

9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The breadbox was available until the original 1987 CDs went out of print. Capitol stopped distributing them at some point (along with the Singles and EP CD boxed sets) and thereafter the discs were almost always import copies. Usually from Holland, UK or Italy.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. Analogman

As in empty boxes?
    As I wrote, mine is clearly marked made in England (for the box proper) and also bears a sticker "Holland" (and as also noted, all my discs are Dutch; EMI did have a plant there during this time frame)

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Whether or not they were ever available empty, I'm not certain of, but I don't think so. I had never seen a "new" empty box for sale anywhere. Any empty boxes I saw for sale were usually after the record store got tired of sitting on the unsold expensive boxed set and finally sold the discs individually.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  12. Analogman

You could buy the box empty; the Tower near me had a few
    Also, see the thread that Gary provided the link to
    You could also buy the empty Lp and Cassette versions as well

13. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I remember the music store opposite where I worked in Sydney had oodles of empty boxes for sale. This would have been 1990/91. Can't remember the name of the store, but I don't think it was a major.

14. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I think I bought mine around 1993/4. The JB Hi-Fi that I bought it from (the original first store in East Keilor [north-west of Melbourne] had a lot of them for sale at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd emptied the discs from the boxes and sold the boxes separately as the set was not cheap in Oz. A friend of mine (she hadn't bought any of the CDs at that stage) bought the complete box set around the same time. I was with her when she bought it and I first met her in 1993 so they were still available then.

When I mentioned that I'd seen one not that many years ago I meant less than 10 years ago and it could even be less than five. I remember being very surprised when I saw it for sale.

Some of the stores here had a lot of empty ones as well.

15. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I always coveted the breadbox. In the unlikely event that I ever come across one, does anyone know if the complete 2009 remasters (in digipaks) would fit into this?

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's hard to fit the 1987 Sgt Pepper's in the breadbox let alone the new CDs

17. Analogman

Odd
    Fits nicely on mine
    I have the correct "issue" with the stock slip and book, cut-out sheet etc (the big gp like the one for "The Beatles" album

18. Analogman

Ah! A clue Watson!
    (this is what I'm talking about and it would "line up" with that date I keep seeing about)
    I would really love to figure this out definitively
    Just wonder if a large stock-pile of old inventory turned up somewhere during the JVC Disc America to Cinram expansion and sell-off hubbub of 2008-2014?
    That still would explain my box markings and packaging though?
    Unless the Kennesaw, Georgia fulfillment center had a little bit of everything (which IS often the case)

I've had my box, purchased new and in the box, for a long time now but definitely NOT since 1988

19. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

The 2009 digipak Sgt Pepper is smaller because it doesn't have the large slip-cover and the outsize booklet.

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How come this thread isn't in the music section?

jeffsab likes this.
  21. Analogman

Because I requested that it be left here (with Gary's approval)
    Also:
    Audio Hardware
    Discussions about all types of audio hardware, from vintage gear to the latest in hi-rez. Discussions regarding CD recorders, media, software, and tweaks are also to be found here.

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It started in AH, I moved it to MC but AM wanted it moved back. But if there was a lack of response, we could always move it to MC. :)

:shrug:

23. milo

milo Forum Resident

Yes, it was re-issued in the mid 90's during the anthology's popularity. The original issue was made completely out of wood with felt strips on the bottom, the re-issue had plastic inserts glued into the box to hold the cd's, it also had the small rubber feet to adhere to the bottom. I had a few of these sets, the one you have is a late issue, probably late 90's or early 2000's. The ones that Capitol put together had all of the cd's shrink wrapped with no Sgt. Pepper slipcase. The cd's in the EMI international sets were not shrink wrapped and had the Sgt. Pepper slipcase.

24. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Bought mine new in the late 2000s. No shrink wrap, Sgt Pepper with all the bits.

25. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Never saw an empty box on sale in the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.