Most underrated singers (not just singers you like)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nostaljack, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Roger Hodgson

Matthew Tate and Lucidae like this.
  2. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

He's certainly not the coolest person on this list, but I agree with you. Even in his teenage years you could hear his voice was exceptional. He was only about 14-15 when he had his big hits like Puppy Love and The Twelfth Of Never, but his vocals were really smooth and natural.

Nostaljack and Tyler Mills like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Paul Stanley
    Dennis DeYoung
    Ray White (Zappa)
    Lady Bianca (Zappa)
    Bobby Martin (Zappa)

^FZ had some fantastic vocalists over the years

squittolo and erikdavid5000 like this.
  5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Jess Roden
    Frankie Miller

Ignatius likes this.
  6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

When I was a teenager I loved the first three Journey albums. Progressive rock. Then Steve Perry joined the band, and I thought Journey was ruined. All these years later, I am a hard core jazz fan of all eras, and have grown up listening to great singers song the great American song book. A couple years ago I hear a Journey ballad on the radio, and am hearing Steve Perry with a lot of years listening, learning and living in my wake, and damn, SP is a great singer!

7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Lady Gaga. Do not like her music. Loved the Special with Tony Bennet. The Lady can sing.

8. I've always thought that Ace Frehley and Adrian Belew are the best "singers with a non-singer voice" (if you catch my drift).

Victor/Victrola and Ivand like this.
  9. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Senior Member

I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw a YouTube video of her solo on the piano - not what I expected at all after seeing some of the craziness in her mainstream videos. That girl has a set of pipes! I like her stuff with Tony Bennett; will have to look for the Stevie Wonder tribute show. Thanks for the tip.

-Pat

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Good call.

11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Nick Garvey of The Motors

October Man and wwaldmanfan like this.
  12. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

The Motors were a killer pub rock band. Recommend this album:

[​IMG]

October Man likes this.
  13. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

June Tabor. One of the most beautiful voices from the British folk scene through the years. Sometimes cheeky and sexy, sometimes dark and whistful, but always personal. In the business from the mid sixties and on without public breakthrough. Well worth to be discovered by a larger audience. It's about time...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Henryflowr likes this.
  14. Totally! I would add to this Zappa list Bob Harris "#2" (in the 1980 band). Talk about a powerful, musical boy soprano!

MONOLOVER and warewolf95 like this.
  15. Dweezil Zappa wanted to work, or have worked, with him in the past. A remake of the "Staying Alive" song IIRC.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Some people can't stand Derek Shulman, from Gentle Giant. I love him! In the early albums he wasn't always tight on pitch (and he IS annoying here and there on the first one!). In later days he bloomed wonderfully though, especially in some of the quieter songs, like "Memory of Old Days" for instance!

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Annie Haslam. Maybe not underrated, but certainly overlooked. Dare I say, the best female voice in prog rock?

18. Beverly D’Angelo! Yes, the actress. She is over looked as a singer because of the other talent. If you like “Big Band” music, locate the soundtrack for the 1987 movie “In The Mood”. The original compact disc liner notes credit Beverly with vocals on two tracks “Dream” and “Baby Blue”. FYI, Some of the information regarding the album on the net appears to contradict the liner notes on my CD.

Moshe likes this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mickey Jupp

20. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Alice Russell

21. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Danny Elfman. "O.B.' were some of the best concerts I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot), and have to credit a lot of it to his amazingly strong vocals. Of course the band was pretty good too, lol.

22. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You don't hear too many accolades for Bobby Womack outside of the cognoscenti I don't think, but he is the man.

23. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Minnie Riperton

Tyler Mills likes this.
  24. Paul Di'Anno.

Sure Bruce Dickinson was/is better, but Paul did what he did and did it very well as a charismatic, solid, rock vocalist. I never hear praise for the guy, probably because he'll forever be in Bruce's shadow; still, i think if he were never canned we'd be none the wiser, today.

Maestro63 and squittolo like this.
  25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

He can still do it! He goes a little flat on some of the really high notes and he clips a few but he nails the rest of it. Not bad for an old man. At the height of his powers, they rarely came better. His issue is that he used that voice at the service of "We Built This City". It destroyed all of his credibility and he'll never get it back.

Ed

zebop and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.