What's so great about the Steve Miller band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hail Vinyl!, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hail Vinyl!

Hail Vinyl! Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you in advance for reading.

Just curious about this. Not that I hate Steve Miller's music, but it has never clicked with me. The only song I can tell I like is "Jungle Love", and a big part of my affinity toward that song lies in the fact that the initial sound effect was used for many years by one of the most important AM radio stations in my country during soccer matches broadcasts, as a prelude before the narrator announced the match's elapsed time. I also like the "biting" guitar tone on the intro for "Fly Like An Eagle".

I have the "Greatest Hits" compilation and it's OK with me, but not something that I'd pick to be played in my car. So, I'd like to hear about what others consider great about this band. Thank you again!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Keith V and Guy E like this.
  2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Children Of The Future , Sailor ( my favorite ),Brave New World and Your Saving Grace are the Steve Miller Band albums to have ,IMO.
    I have little to no use for his later far more popular commercial hit material.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great songs, great band, and probably the definition of 70's classic rock on the radio.

keyXVII, Malina, danielbravo and 13 others like this.
  4. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Two things are really great with Steve Miller Band - "Brave New World" and "Your Saving Grace".

Rick B., bhazen, weirdo12 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Senior Member

Used to listen to them back in the day, but haven't in a long time now. Guess it's time to visit Amazon and cause my cc more pain...

-Pat

6. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

His cool, velvety voice. The great songs. Lonnie Turner! The fact that Les Paul taught him some licks. The Sixties psych stuff. The early 70s songs. And all those HITS that still sound fresh.

rollo5, keyXVII, sjaca and 6 others like this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Great bands. There've been like three major different lineups, no?

robertawillisjr likes this.
  8. drasil

drasil Former Resident

one of my dad's frequently-repeated mantras, usually while flipping the radio station away from yet another airing of 'fly like an eagle': you know, Steve Miller used to be one of the best white blues guitarists around, but then instead of heroin or coke, he got into money.

2trackmind, Beet, GodShifter and 22 others like this.
  9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

They put on a great live show. My first concert as a teenager. Those were the Reagan years.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Tell me this ain't a great song.....

zphage, Davmoco, keyXVII and 11 others like this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Steve Miller invented stadium rock.

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but it's certainly a thing.

Dumb loud fun. Although I've always thought "Fly Like An Eagle" transcended the genre into a prog-ish space of its own, making it one of the great hits of the '70s.

Remy, Moonbeam Skies and CARPEYOLO like this.
  12. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

I think what helped him a lot was the sound---he miked the strings to get that guitar sound and it would come out clean.

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

He made 5 great albums in the 60's, and several great albums in the 70's, both eras very different.
    And he didn't invent stadium rock!

keyXVII, Coricama, ek1psu and 5 others like this.
  14. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

He didn't invent stadium rock ~ just went out twice a year and played them. The music is not dumb. And just because there's a synth in Fly Like An Eagle doesn't make it prog.

Coricama and cwitt1980 like this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I didn't say "Fly Like An Eagle" was prog. It is however a bit prog-ish, which is what I did say.

If Miller didn't invent stadium rock, who did? Zep and the Stones were playing arenas because they had to in order to fit all their fans, but Miller is the first act I can think of who actually created his music with a consistent eye toward making it sound best in a giant stadium.

ginchopolis likes this.
  16. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Some called him Maurice(wrrrant wraaaahhh) because he skope of the pomotuse of love......

supermd, Beet, jeffd7030 and 7 others like this.
  17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

He created arguably the greatest moment at Knebworth 1976 and he wasn't even there that year.

250,000 people trying to clap along to his Take The Money and Run track being played over the pa. Probably 249,000 got the claps on the wrong beats, every time!

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

I only have this and I love it.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

He's slicker than Penguin excrement.

2trackmind and steveharris like this.
  20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I've never thought they were "great," just a really fun band to listen to, like KC and the Sunshine Band. And I'm talking about the music on the comp pictured above; I'm not familiar with their earlier work.

Hutch likes this.
  21. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Why do I do this? Because I must:

ssmith3046, Beet, ARK and 7 others like this.
  22. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I've never heard or read anywhere of anyone claiming he was great, or not great for that matter.

23. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

The early stuff is my favorite, but do still have some love for the later stuff as well.

24. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Having seen him live once in NYC and having a fan of his 70s output, I really think he is great. Love the hits, especially the Joker, hi Ailish!!!

25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

When Boz Scaggs was in the band (first two albums) they were awesome. After, that, not so much.
    This is the one to get:

[​IMG]

fuse999, Umbari, bhazen and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.