The Evils of Time-Compression (Sped-up Shows)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Evil, Unfair, Destruction of Work and We are paying them to do it

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

AND...I've seen - with increasing frequency - promos actually blocking the screen from a critical piece of information in a show - I'm foolishly actually attempting to watch and enjoy

Something about killing the Golden Goose...maybe dead already, I suspect...

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Or, they are just milking a slowly-dying format ("live" TV) until the day comes when everything is on-demand, and a la carte, for all it's worth.

4. Jose Jones

Unfortunately, the Seinfeld example in post #1 is no longer viewable. :(

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

And in a related development, has anyone noticed that a 5 lb bag of sugar is only 4 lbs now?

showtaper and Mister Charlie like this.
  6. Did you work on the 80's Chipmunk Adventure movie? Man I thought that was classic! Full of suspense and intrigue and stuff. (And animated in Korea, right?)

7. Generally credits on these shows get the biggest axe. Sped up like 100x while being split screen with a promo for whatever show is next. Haven't watched television in almost 20 years. Don't miss it one bit. (Well, maybe Cartoon Network when it first came out and was bat$h*t crazy.)

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No, I did not work on any of the Chipmunks movies, though many years later I worked on some of the later 1990s DIC animated shows, where the characters look completely different from the Ruby-Spears years or the original 1960s CBS show.

9. Jose Jones

Does anyone else see the irony of complaining about TV shows getting sped up to put more commercials in.....and people watching the Super Bowl for the commercials instead of the game? They should be happy that they get to see more loud, compressed commercials, and less Hee-Haw.

10. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

You've probably been experiencing it for years with sports programming, and not even realized it. I think the broadcasters have really suppressed talk about it. Ever wonder why the end of an inning, quarter, etc., etc. so often happen to coincide with the regular commercial break timing of other shows? Guess why. Golf is probably as bad at it as any sport, and why so many player's shots are not shown real time, and why most networks don't even bother commenting on the fact that the shot was played earlier. This year's Masters on the weekend network showing was awful (worse than it's ever been).

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

OT but relates to constant whacking of real content in broadcast\cable TV.
    DIY\Fix-It shows.
    I haven't watched them since This Old House went sideways 20+ years ago, but I did an experiment on an HGTV show.
    Timed the actual original, non-repeated content, minus ads in "30" minute show.
    13-14 minutes.
    Show start,preview, content, recap, ad, recap, content, recap, ad, recap, content, recap, ad, recap,content, recap, ad, review. Show's over.

The only one I watch is Wheeler Dealers, I can blast through an hour episode in 30 mins easy.

A question for those in the know, a ton of cable channel ads are exclusively for content on that channel not paying vendors.
    Do they derive their income solely from cable contracts?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I didn't think time-compression was still a thing. I knew of a Star Wars laserdisc in the '80s that was both pan-and-scan and time compressed!

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

In that case, which was the very first release on home video in 1982, it was done to fit a 121 minute film on a disc that could only hold two hours. It's been a while since I watched that particular disc, but I believe all they did was trim some of the scene transitions.

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I believe it was 119 minutes, so I assumed time-compression had been applied.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.