Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, 2020 for Volume 2.

And then 2027 for Volume 3---unless of course Yoko is still around. I'm not sure that Mark wants to go against her, even in print.

MoonPool likes this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would be happy to do it if I had the time. Unfortunately, and probably unbelievably to some, I do actually have some form of life away from the forum. :D:laugh:

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I bet you can finish it before V2 comes out.

theMess likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, your Tiffany fan club presidency. That takes up the rest of your time Ben, I mean..
    Mr President. :D

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Finish the proposed "audio book" or finish his "life away from the forum"? :confused:

;)

yardbuzzard and theMess like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, what's the real reason? ;)

theMess likes this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I said V2, not V3 :shh:

theMess likes this.
  8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The hard part will be if books vanish before V2 & 3 are done.

9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

He stated shortly after the release of vol. 1 that he's not even done with the RESEARCH for vol. 2, and after that it will take him years to write, edit, annotate, etc. I'd guess if we actually see it by 2020, we'll be lucky (remember, vol. 1 was initially announced for 2011 IIRC but was pushed back until 2013).

10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I have mixed feelings about having to wait so long for Vol. 2. On the one hand I desperately want to read it and am worried about how many people will still be alive for Lewisohn to interview by the time he gets to Vol. 3. On the other hand it's nice to know that for the next several years I'll still have something new about The Beatles to look forward to. Once Lewisohn is done then that'll be the end of it. It's a bit like waiting for the next Harry Potter book, or more recently, A Song of Ice and Fire. :p

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

As has been mentioned before, I just hope Mark is around to finish it all off. Or he has a succession plan for who will finish it (like what happened with the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan)

petem1966 and bewareofchairs like this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's a shame that Mark's U.S. publisher has refused to publish the expanded version in this country. I never bought the abridged version in hopes that they would realize that it was foolish to not release the complete book in arguably the Beatles' biggest market ... now, with five years (or more) before Vol. 2, I'm in no hurry. Maybe someday...

Clark V Kauffman and theMess like this.
  13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

In my view, the expanded version should have been the only version. I can't imagine that anyone buying a huge book on the Beatles that ends in 1962, would not have blinked if it were twice as long. This was not a book for the average music fan, this was a book for the serious Beatles fan.
    Price wise, the only reason the expanded version was big dough was because it was ''ltd''. In the real world of two volume type books, they're twice or a tad less than twice as expensive as a single volume. I'd have gladly paid twice as much for twice as much, with no problem.

Turmatic and AJK74 like this.
  14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The long one was a no-brainer for me as soon as both editions were announced. Kind of crazy that I had to send to England to get the full version, but, then again, that was the case, thanks to good old Capitol, with every Beatles album before Sgt. Pepper's. I was used to it. At least it was easier, with Amazon, then in the 60s, when I had to place $6.00 in an envelope and slap an air mail stamp on it.
    A man has to know his limitations! I didn't even consider getting the "short" one.

theMess likes this.
  15. let him run...

I couldn't afford the full version. I kept hoping for a cheaper US version.
    Regarding LPs, luckily by the mid-sixties, we had a local record store which sold UK imports. I still have HELP! Rubber Soul and Revolver.

16. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

I happily bought the standard U.S. version. Can't imagine really needing to get any more detailed than that. That said, I'd happily spend another $20 on an epub download of the extended version if they made that available to purchase here. If not, I'm sure it's "out there" somewhere for folks who want to find it. Really bugs me that provincial contracts and licenses do not allow publishers to sell digital files internationally. It's 2015. We live in a global marketplace. We should be able to purchase what we want from wherever it's for sale.

AJK74 likes this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just hope I'm around to read it.

DrBeatle and theMess like this.
  18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

What will finish first: Lewisohns Beatle books or George RR Martin's (no not the producer) Song of Ice and Fire series, aka: Game of Thrones? Place yer bets!

19. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Not having read it yet, was Mark able to interview Cynthia in his research for Vol. 1?

20. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

lewisohn.

joeislive likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree, but I think that if only the long version existed, it would've been off-putting even among serious fans.

I love to read about the Beatles but I wasn't eager to get V1 - I only did so because I heard so many good things about it. If only the long one was out there, I probably never would've bothered, as it sounded look all too much! :)

I also think that opinions of the book would be different if only the long version existed. It seems like people who read the shorter one have been more enthusiastic in general. Reviews of the long one seem to be "it's good but", whereas reviews of the short one are "it's frickin' great!!!"

elvissinatra likes this.
  22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

In the credits, she is not included as an interviewee, but as an "other provider of information or assistance."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Mooserfan and theMess like this.
  23. let him run...

Regarding reviews, I think I've read more reviews of the long version saying, ''I was afraid it'd be overkill...but it's great.'' And it's no surprise the reviews are great for the short version, but those reviews aren't coming from people who have read both (why would they?) and then concluded the shorter was better.
    I still think that at over 900 pages, it was already off-putting for most and those who weren't put off at 900+ pages, twice as long would be welcomed, as long as the pricing was right. Look at the White Album, people still argue it would be a stronger single LP and maybe so. But in the last 40+ years, I don't think that many passed on it because it was twice as long.
    But in the real world, my biggest concern is lasting long enough to read the third volume. Fingers crossed.

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I read the long one, and it's frickin' great!!! :agree:

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Absolutely. The long version was amazing.

ssmith3046, theMess and joeortonjr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.