Shure V15 Type 5 MR Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFi Guy, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found someone locally that has 2 sealed new in the box, priced at $400 each.

I'm thinking of getting away from Cartridges with non replaceable styli, as I've gotten heavily back into vinyl.

The table is a Pioneer PLX1000, Jelco HS-20 and George Merrill's GEM Dandy platter mat.

I'm thinking the price is actually fair. Opinions on the cartridge are welcome. What do y'all think?

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I would think that is a great buy and your other close quality option would be an Ortofon black at twice the money. Jico has replacment styli for later. It is an excellent cart with great tracking.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Go for it.

4. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Any V15 type 3 to 5 are worthy carts. With the Jico SAS replacement stylii they all sing beautifully!

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------I meant to say former.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Great cartridge, I love mine.

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

That is a fair price for NIB. Actually I don't think you are likely to find any cheaper than that. You can also get Soundsmith to retip your stylus, avoiding the problem of trying to find one several years from now.

8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

The V-15 Type V-MR is the only cartridge I wish I hadn't sold. $400 is not a bad price for a NOS one these days. The list price was $275 in 1984. The original V-MR had a nearly ruler flat frequency-response, very low harmonic distortion, and second-to-none tracking ability across the board: bass, midrange, and treble. And with the brush down you can use it on any tonearm provided you add another half gram to the VTF to compensate. It is sensitive to azimuth adjustments however. Nail the azimuth and the soundstage opens up wide.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

More details to my V15 use.

Been using them on my Empire 698 for near 40 years now after having issues with Empire stylus loosing the tips back in the mid 1970's.

Current V15 variants I have are, main cartridge used is a Shure Ultra 500, also V15VxMR, & VST V Ultra Group Black SE which I prefer over the xMR.

I prefer the Ultra 500 over all others, even ALL prior V5 variants for the decades before.

OcdMan likes this.
  10. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I LOVE my V15 TypeIV so much I bought another one. It should -knock on wood - be in OK shape and a friend looked at stylus through scope and said tip looks pretty good even though cantilever dirty. As simple as it should be I am struggling with mounting to a Technics headshell. I believe I now have right screws, spacers, a threaded mounting plate and another plastic cross piece which is some kind of stabilizer. Shot in dark - is there anybody near Cincinnati that can help?

11. HiFi Guy

Thanks to all for the input. I really appreciate it,

I decided to go for it. It turns out the gentleman that offered it for sale lives in Chicago, but advertised in cities where he has relatives to handle the transaction.

My big issue now is resisting immediately changing my Zu DL-103 for the Shure. The Zu sounds awesome but the hours are quickly racking up......

12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I use a V15V on my Garrard 301/SME309 - Stunning cartridge then, just as stunning now - can heartily recommend the SAS Jico stylus if/when replacements are needed too.
    Classic hi-fi product :)

13. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I've had mine
    The list price was $275, but the street price was $125 when I bought mine in 1987. There was a rave review of the V-MR and the Ultra 500 in The Absolute Sound around that time. The reviewer recommended super gluing the removable stylus assembly to the cartridge body for even more focus and definition or something or other, which I dutifully did. And there it remains to this day. Yep, I know some of you folks will have nightmares about this, but when I play my records, I'm playing them with a 28 year old stylus, that has seen a lot of use. I was always replacing styli on carts I owned before the Shure, including Grado, Sonus, Ortofon, ADC, Micro-Acoustics and others I'm forgetting. If and when I feel the need to replace the stylus on my V-MR, I will do so. So far, I don't feel that need.

14. HiFi Guy

Thanks for the input. It arrived last Friday. I couldn't resist mounting it. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have had several V15's over the years and loved them. I wish Shure would make them again. I would think they would be a good seller for them due to their legendary reputation.

GuildX700 likes this.
  16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

>>>>>>You haven't changed the stylus in 28 years? Hope youre not planning to sell any of your records......

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I would have it inspected, but if your hours are low and there is no damage none of us can know for sure. It is very possible with the right tracking force always applied and no damage to the stylus that it has damaged less vinyl that some $200 TT with a poorly installed stylus with a crazy high, un-monitored tracking force.

OcdMan and GuildX700 like this.
  18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    Absolutely they would, but the M97 with a Jico is no slouch and very affordable.

Wngnt90 and GuildX700 like this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

What would be cool would be an early model reissue, a special model reissue like the Ultra 500 and a new best ever V15.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'm not. They are in fine shape. Here's some recent clips from a forty plus year old record (US Reprise, not the superior UK Transatlantic) that's been played more times than I can count (even when I take my shoes off). No post recording futzing and fixing, obviously. I'm probably half deaf from a lifetime of loud rock and roll, so it's entirely possible you guys will hear glaring deficiencies that I don't. Let me know.
    John Renbourn - Transfusion
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uwregican04481/16 Transfusion clip.flac?dl=0
    John Renbourn - Forty-Eight
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/52azn67euazw6eg/17 Forty Eight clip.flac?dl=0
    John Renbourn - White Fishes
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yv5op1romwvdm73/18 White Fishes clip.flac?dl=0

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  21. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You would do better to have it looked at with a microscope and a trained eye.

22. peter

peter Senior Member

I am late to this thread, but CONGRATULATIONS. Though many have told me that Shures are not the last word on resolution, a Shure will track just about anything and sound so sweet doing it. Well done.

23. HiFi Guy

Thank you! I've been down the resolution road. It isn't for me. I'm about realistic, natural sound.

Some say the Shure is rolled off on top. I hear what they are saying. However, it sounds exactly like what I heard the last time I attended a symphony performance. That said, I'm a rock lover at heart. Is it correct? Who the hell knows...but I like it...a lot.

24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

If I knew someone with a microscope and a trained eye, I'd let them come by and take a look. Since I don't, I'll stick with my ears.

25. peter

peter Senior Member

You are so correct, on all points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.