Unique two channel/twin track stereo mix of the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyH, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I find it much beefier, at least as far as it sounds on the stereo single from the OZ box...

Dale

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the 1963 mix with the vocals to the side, is it not?

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Ah, right. It's morning here -- not enough coffee yet.

Dale

4. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Australia released all three stereo mixes - the 1965 mix on "Greatest Hits v1", the 1966 mix on "Collection of Beatles Oldies" and the 1963 mix on "The Number Ones" as well as the single from 1976 (the version on "The Number Ones" suffers from some startup wow due to a mastering engineer error, not a tape fault as many believe).

From 1968 through to digital standardisation, one could also get both the 1965 and 1966 stereo mixes of "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" at the same time, depending on the album purchased.

5. Jae

Jae Senior Member

For those looking for the Aussie stereo single, the matrices to look for are 7XCE 17559 / 7XCE 17560.

If the matrix information includes a 7AXPA number, it's pre-1976 and thus mono. Avoid.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Re: I Want to Hold Your Hand
    In 'The Beatles Story' (BBC radio 1972) Paul mentions that he and George 'doubled up' that part on bass and guitar as one of the first Beatles overdubs.
    In a BBC radio special on the Beatles singles in 1989, McCartney says; "we all loved John's pumping Rickenbacker on that one"
    Just a note to confirm the lead vocals were not overdubbed, that's John and Paul in unison singing AND playing at the same time. The Anthology DVD has a short clip of an out-take and they sing on that.
    The only vocal overdubs are:
    On "Hand" on the chorus where John and Paul double their 'falsetto' (only John sings falsetto - Paul is straight-voiced, although high)
    On the second 'middle eight' where both John and Paul sing the 'Paul harmony'.
    Fabulous record. Until steve gives the world a 'proper' stereo mix, the ONLY mix is the Parlophone single. (Though I get a kick out of the Anthology DVD which has a nice enough mix that splits the overdubbed vocals into stereo)

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

8. Maidenpriest

I always thought this was one of the first Stereo Beatles records, and if we get a new re-mixed Stereo mix I doubt it will be a Steve that does it, are you refering to our Host? A new mix will probally be made by Giles Martin or Alan Rouse's team, I am afraid Steve our Host AFAIK is not involved with any Beatles projects!

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Oh yes, I know Our Host WON'T be remixing it, I was just opining that I'd LIKE him to remix it.
    Sorry if I sounded like I thought "some guy called Steve" was doing a Beatles remix program!
    I Want to Hold Your hand was the first song The Beatles recorded on four-track but the intention wasn't to get 'stereo' but to mix and add bits more easily than with twin track.

10. Maidenpriest

:righton: I personally couldn't care who would do it, as long as they don't mess it up!!

11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Alas that's not guaranteed!

12. Maidenpriest

:shake:

Although I would be quite happy for the present EMI team to do it, I think they got the balance between a modern sound and the authentic 1960's sound just right, maybe if our Host did it - it would not fit in with the current Remasters sound be it better or for worse and because of that would not fit in with the current catalog?

13. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Actually, 5.1 channel extractions reveal that on this second middle eight (probably during the same take he overdubbed the falsetto "haaaaaand") John doubles his original harmony part, and not the 'Paul harmony'.

Also, on the second "I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hiiiiiiide", during the long 'hide' there's a "wooooo" that's very hard to hear, but it's there.

nikh33 likes this.
  14. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

A stereo remix was already done for the Anthology DVD, it just isn't available on an EMI CD yet.

Derek

15. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Out of curiosity is this the Australian orange label you were referring to. I got this off of http://www.beatlesaustralia.com/SINGLES_index.html
    [​IMG]

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I finally found a copy of the 1976 Australian release of IWTHYH. The later orange label pressing uses the same metal parts. It took a long time to find this one. I can't imagine it's that rare, but it eluded me for years.

[​IMG]

Jae and Mal like this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Doesn't work for me.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

20. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Link didn't work for me either, Sid.

Cannot connect to the rep database because: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111

:shake:

21. Schoolmaster Bones

Yikes. I'll look for that drop if anyone's interested. The original mono mix is canon, but I do have a fondness for GM's first faux-twintrack 1963 stereo mix (along with the twin track-styled stereo "This Boy"). I think it was a missed opportunity that Capitol opted not to use these mixes for the US stereo Meet The Beatles. That would have been tremendous.

kelhard likes this.
  22. Jae

Jae Senior Member

23. Schoolmaster Bones

24. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Thanks for the link Jae. The rip sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.