The Who - Search for Lost Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oates, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Video for sure and most likely audio as well.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've almost given up on it. Even *if* it happens, someone will screw it up. We've yet to get the complete Leeds performance in proper sound quality. If only a complete version could sound as good as the HD tracks recent issue...or whatever it was.

Rather than a live compilation, how about a box set with complete shows?!

WhoTapes1 and Dondy like this.
  3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I'm totally in for that!

Rick A.

4. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

It may well be true that it undercut their creative momentum, but I think it was important to the band in that it ensured their financial well-being. By all accounts, that movie made the band a s******d of money. It's hard to blame them too much for actually wanting to have some security.

5. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Nothing would not have been embarrassing.

WhoTapes1 and DrBeatle like this.
  6. old school

old school Senior Member

Any live shows from 1967-70 should have a nice live box set. They were the best live band during those years there has to be some awesome shows I would think
    to make a nice box set.

7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

True, although then you wonder why they relentlessly toured in '75 and '76, ostensibly behind a new album (By Numbers) with basically a greatest hits/Tommy set list. I've read that those tours were done to ensure John and Keith could pay their bills since they spent the most and made the least from the Who (Pete was rich via his songwriting royalties and Roger was smarter with his money). By all accounts, including Tony Fletcher's definitive Moon bio, Moon was dead-ass broke and in debt for most of the 1970s.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yep, just like Led Zeppelin where Jimmy Page has been promising a live box set from all eras of their career since the 1980s...the closest we got (and probably ever will get) to it was the live DVD in 2003. But for the Who to not have some retrospective live release (unless you wanna count View From a Backstage Pass) is criminal. I'd take even ONE archive release (SF '71, FFS!) and shut up for my complaining all eternity if they're not gonna open the vaults up.

I mean, you listen to something like this (at maximum volume, of course) and are blown away and then wonder why they don't release it...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Manalishi, mw1917 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  9. Anthony Genzale

Anthony Genzale Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. At first, I was puzzled as to why Universal would choose to release a show from '82 instead of SF '71 or another Moon-era show, until I saw that it will be on blu-ray and dvd. I suppose the label thinks they can market an archival video release better than a mere audio release. I don't have a problem with this release, except that shouldn't be a high priority when multi-track recordings remain in the can from the Moon era, as well as the 1979 US tour with Kenny Jones.

WhoTapes1, Jet Age Eric and DrBeatle like this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I think the '79 US shows multitacks are incomplete........if the Chicago DVD is anything to go by.
    but they could probably make a full show/2CD's from the various recordings.

dee and WhoTapes1 like this.
  11. old school

old school Senior Member

Hell didn't The Who do well over 200 shows in North America alone in 1967? They had to record some of them?

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

There's at least the two 1968 Fillmore shows. The 1968 Austrailian shows are supposedly lost. And there are several two track shows from 1969 tour. Tanglewood 1970.

Fullbug and old school like this.
  13. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

What Fillmore East material was rejected?

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

April 5th and 6th. The 6th being heavily bootlegged. Great sound.

There was a picture somewhere showing these recordings in The Who's vaults.

15. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

there is a recent bootleg that claims to be from the master tape.
    would anyone know if the track listing is the same as [most of] the other earlier versions?
    can anyone post a sample of it?

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Substitute and Pictures of Lilly which opened the shows are missing from the April 6th boots I've seen. The 5th show includes everything plus C'mon Everybody from Eddie Cochran. I believe the bootlegs are from the master tapes.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure? It always seemed like they were from an acetate.

18. pool_of_tears

I'm tired of the Tommy era stuff. We need the 1971 San Francisco set.

19. pool_of_tears

Chicago and both nights in Philly were multitracked. But those 79 and 80 shows had those horns. I'd rather have a 1981 soundboard, preferably near the end of the tour.

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I can't say I'm 100% sure but, had read somewhere the boots were made from the master recordings. So I could be wrong.

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Any Moon era other than 1969-70 would be nice.

22. peachyg72

peachyg72 Forum Resident

Massive Who fan but i can't see the point of releasing a show from 1982 from the 'greatest live rock n roll band in the world' when apparently there is a hoard of live material from their prime period, i won't be buying it.

23. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I might nominate this for the first show I would like released.Maybe we can hope for a series of concerts on vinyl,like the one for The Rolling Stones.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

Recording a band like the Who's live performances in those days was a decidedly expensive (and cumbersome) undertaking (e.g., hauling around multitrack tape machines/mixers, paying an engineer, etc.). And since Decca wasn't even sending promo copies of Who singles to the major US trade magazines, it's doubtful they had it together enough to professionally record any of their concerts.

25. old school

old school Senior Member

I thought The Who had The Pye Mobile recording studio?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.