James Bond "You Only Live Twice" on Epix, looks amazing..*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Recorded at CTS, correct?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Are you writing a book on the John Barry scores? If so, watch out for Monty Norman... :sigh:

3. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

CTS in Bayswater for FRWL to Diamonds Are Forever.

The "James Bond Theme" from Dr No was also recorded at CTS, Bayswater. Same studio and same month (June 1962) as Frank Sinatra's Great Songs from Great Britain.

Wembley thereafter for the John Barry scores with exception of Moonraker, recorded in Paris.

The "book" isn't Bond-specific rather a general film music one. Still need to decide how best to proceed with it!

4. Steve Hoffman

This was recorded there as well (minus the trumpet lead).

Vidiot, davenav and GuildX700 like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So the track was recorded in Europe and Herb put the trumpet on here? No Wrecking Crew involved ?

6. Steve Hoffman

That is correct.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

A book about the Bond scores? Wow. Is there a release date?

8. Chris Malone

Jon Burlingame has inked an exemplary one on the Bond films, available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Music-James-Bond-Burlingame/dp/019986330X

Jon and I exchanged information for his book -- it really is a must-have survey of the songs and scores.

Mine focuses on the recording studios and engineering in a film music setting. Bond, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc are covered. In some respects, it's lengthy extensions of articles and anecdotes already available on my web site. It's a long, long, long way off though!

apileocole and PH416156 like this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thank you for your reply; much appreciated. Hopefully we'll see an Amazon link to your book too, one day :)

10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The instrumental version is also a favorite of mine.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if Nancy Sinatra ever performed YOLT live (*not* a lip sync version).

I looked for video on YT but could not locate a live performance by Nancy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  11. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The original United Artists logo for You Only Live Twice, from a 35mm dupe.

[​IMG]

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Back in '85, I had a Advent 6' front projection screen with a 1.33:1 ratio, thought it was great.

Then on to the 90's, I had a 40" Mitsubishi rear projection screen, same ratio.

Letterbox VHS was all the rage then, showing the movie "exactly as the director intended", only problem was, upon measuring the size of the image area, it turned out to be only 17" tall, but that's progress.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was always opposed to letterboxed VHS because I felt the 160-line resolution of VHS just couldn't hack it. (They measured it at 240 lines, but the truth is that it could only do 2MHz flat, which to me is interpreted as 160 lines.) If you're throwing 40% of the resolution away as blanking -- black borders -- then what's left is 96 lines for the program. Not enough. Laserdisc had roughly double the resolution of VHS, so I could tolerate letterbox there. But in truth, I think it only made sense for HD and Blu-ray, where you had far more resolution to start out with. An HD scope picture works out to 1920x800 (800 lines), which is fine.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, like ME, when they letterbox INSIDE A 4:3 SUB-FRAME!!!! In other words, you see a 16:9 letterbox crammed into a 4:3 letterbox so you get black bars on all sides. Geez, what morons do that?

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Haaaaaaarible! I hate when that happens. It's clear there are mindless robots at some of these channels who just grab the incoming files and puke them onto their servers, then play them on air without ever even looking at them. Totally ridiculous. As I often say, "this is a people problem, not a technology problem." You always have to have people with good sense and taste to make judgement on audio and video quality, with the power to reject a show or film or soundtrack if it's not up to snuff.

head_unit likes this.
  16. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I remember first seeing letterboxed VHS (OHMSS actually) as a kid and feeling like I either needed to be really close to the screen or have a magnifying glass to see everything. But I quickly realized that at the very least I was now seeing everything. Ironically, it took me years to realize that that letterboxed OHMSS tape was the only uncut release between LD and the remasters, since the first DVD was edited a bit.

Lawrence of Arabia becomes very difficult to see in this manner.

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Nancy did a great job on that theme.

jsayers likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to bring a thread back from the dead, I believe lyricist Leslie Bricusse has said that he and John Barry were very disappointed when they originally started rehearsals with Nancy Sinatra for the song. They felt that her singing wasn't nearly up to snuff. Reportedly, they had to work with her for several days to get her to the point where she could hit the notes, and they did many takes in order to complete the finished track. I think the results were good, and I actually prefer the soundtrack version to the hit single. I also think her voice is a lot more "polished" on this track than it was on the majority of her hits.

jsayers likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Got Epix "free" this wknd ,
    watched Shaun the Sheep ,
    recorded the Graham Chapman
    special .

(nothing to do with Bond , the other
    Epix threads are closed , i did see they
    are airing a few .)

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Watched the restored version on DVD today. Fantastic cinematography, great sets and costumes, superb music BUT, like with Goldfinger which I spun recently, it's such a silly cheezy film which hasn't aged well at all. I was laughing out loud it was so bad.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

someone here brought over a Nancy quote where she admitted she was terrible recording it and that she was very grateful that LB pieced together her vocal from multiple takes where she did pieces of the song correctly. It thought that was very gracious of her to say, she could have implied she nailed it quickly but she chose to be honest.
    And I also prefer the single tracked vocal

Vidiot and janschfan like this.
  22. Chris Malone

captainsolo and davenav like this.
  23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

If YOLT is cheesy, give me more cheese!

Erik Tracy likes this.
  24. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Your writeups for film scores are always a treat, but especially when you discuss the differences in Bond score releases. I've been collecting various issues for years now between CD and LP and hope that one day a proper hires remastering project happens.
    For the title songs I usually gravitate to either the 1992 cd set or the 1982 UK Greatest LP cut by Harry T. Moss. That said there is always something about listening to the original LP releases despite their limitations. And for the song's film mix I have my trusty laserdisc.

25. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Hi Vahan... I have the first release in 1983 on VHS (CBS/FOX) and the original logo (Spinning united artists) is there....

Absolutelty gorgeous... All newer copies of this movie are garbage on VHS.....

I love it s0 much!!

ONE OF THE BEST 007 MOVIES!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.