The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

so cool, I have it by my copy have the center label "raised" you copy "flat". I discover that in almost the 80% of the church singles, maybe are pressed at the same thing in different plants? or some first and later others, mmm :shh: is one of the big questions of I have like a Church collector.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I know that their first two singles, Unguarded Moment and She Never Said, both came on either raised or flat centers, too.
    It'd be cool to know what the pressing differences are between them.

3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes I found not just that two, many more... later I can show you the full list of what I know but yes I still don't know why, I feel that the "raised" are the very first prints, but is just a assumption.

4. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Hard to imagine that it was organized that way, particularly since the raised vs. flat variations spanned at least a few years.
    Different pressing plants would make a little more sense.
    I'd be interested in your list of which singles have the variations.
    I've got all those early singles, but only recently became aware of the center variations, so I'm not sure which I have of either center type.

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

sure! let me to organize my info etc... and I post everything that I know about it ;)

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

While I like that "Almost With You" sleeve, it doesn't look Kilbey-esque at all. Had to be a record company decision, don't you think?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean, but I'd almost swear that at some point I read that it was deliberately selected by Kilbey. Only now I'm not sure where I read that.
    If I find the source, I'll share it.

It's interesting that part of the same artwork was used a couple years later on Talk Talk's "It's My Life" cover:

[​IMG]

AlienRendel, BadJack and JeffMo like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Wow! Love TT almost as much as The Church, but that is soooo weird....

9. beatlebum

beatlebum Forum Resident

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I hate when that happens. The hardcore fan has the album by now, and the hardcore fan is the one who will want the bonus tracks, so will have to re-purchase this album.

AlienRendel likes this.
  11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

12. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

the bonus tracks are really good….I especially like "The Girl is Bouyant"……and yes, i DID buy the double vinyl, which is nicely packaged and a LOT more photos than the cd, obviously, because there's way more space on the sleeves!!!! And pick up Steve's book, "Something Quite Peculiar…" as well……as a huge fan, i think i went thru in like 2 days after Xmas of last year…..a great read!!!!!

13. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The new album actually is really good...but then again I think that about every new Church record, and then over time I lose interest and stick to the pre-Powles records. But this one *really* does sound good, so this time it will be different!

The album inspired me to read Kilbey's "Something Quite Peculiar" autobiography which was great except that it stops in mid-air right around 1995, more or less saying "and we lived happily ever after". What the heck...maybe there will be a pt. 2 sometime down the road. Or maybe he agrees with me that all the interesting stuff kind of ended then.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Where did you find Kilbeys book? It seemed out of print when I searched before, and sadly wasn't at merch table at the recent gig.

They will likely be on an iTunes EP or digital single.

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I got Kilbey's book in the mail yesterday from an Australian used book dealer. Did they underestimate the demand? It looks like the official sites have it on back order and not having at the shows was a huge missed opportunity, I think.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

So very-darned magnificent.
    [​IMG]

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The complete S x SW performance is up on The Church Band FB site. Can't post the link, sorry!

Em. likes this.
  18. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Yes!

soundfanz, Volt-and-Volume and JeffMo like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for the assist - I'm on my phone!

Em. likes this.
  20. Listening to a prerelease copy. I'm enjoying it just as much as I enjoyed You Are Everything, if not more.

21. I can honestly say that Inside We Are The Same is their greatest album so far. I'm in love with it.

JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  22. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I received a preorder email from Bandcamp...very excited!!

Volt-and-Volume and AlienRendel like this.
  23. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Runt/Plain Recordings/4 MWB will be reissuing "Starfish" on colored vinyl LP this year: "https://www.facebook.com/Runtshop/posts/802751933136119:0" They say in the comments that it is being remastered from (probably) 24/96 digital files. So, it should be better than the Music on Vinyl reissue from last year, but the Arista original will be hard to beat.

25. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Has anyone seen anything about another US run in the late summer? A show was announced in Cape Cod, MA, with the Psychedelic Furs but I'd assume that isn't a one-off.

1970 likes this.