Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks

2. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

He's great. Hello fellow Cramps fan! I thought I was the only one on this forum who loves The Cramps. :edthumbs:

spartanmanor likes this.
  3. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I got one. It sounds fantastic!!!!

Alan G likes this.
  4. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

They were $34 here in Minneapolis. Whatever store that was, is screwing people.

The set is superb by the way. Packaging and vinyl.

Crazyhorse11 and Daniel Thomas like this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I can't stand that store on a good day. Having to wait in line in Hollywood sounds like having a great day in hell.

ptijerm and Bob Dobalina like this.
  6. Two people were in line for the first two and had been waiting for it to go on the shelf (store staggered putting things out). Third one was just bad strategy ... I expected it to be put on the rack in alphabetical order like the first two were and the guy just dumped it (and the other restocks) in one place.

Pizza likes this.
  7. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Is there anything notable about The Basement Tape, beside that it's signed by Garth Hudson? I'm surprised there's a new release of the same material so soon after Dylan's Bootleg Series did such a comprehensive one.

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I don't know about the comprehensive one, but the one I bought today is superb.

9. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Took me 90 minutes to pay for my stuff.

[​IMG]

ShawnX likes this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I was there also, in town for my son's high school lacrosse game. Picked up:

U2: Songs...
    Gov't Mule: Stone vol 2
    Garcia: Compliments

Weird process. You can pick one and only one LP, pay for it and get back in line for the RSD stuff. I was like 50th when the place opened and grabbed the only copy of U2 they had. Guess the young college types don't go for U2. Rolled the dice that Gov't Mule would be there for my second trip. Stopped back later on the way home around 4 PM to see if they had anything left and picked up a Garcia. Missed out on the Nassau box, but hoping to score that one later.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. John Brookbank

John Brookbank BLK Vinyl Slinger

[​IMG]
    Only one actual RSD score but the used bins did me well #feelingroovy

Summerisle likes this.
  12. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Sounds better then? I just don't see the point in having it except for completists.

13. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

There were several copies here in Eastern Canada

14. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

Wow, The Baseball Project / Minus 5 12" was covered with a ton of grit. You could hear it coming out of the sleeve and it came off on my finger if I touched the surface of the record. Maybe they sprinkled the record with a little of the infield from Petco Park? Luckily it cleaned up well.

15. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Straight here... https://www.realgroovy.co.nz/

(I'm sure they'll still have stock on Monday)

Miche likes this.
  16. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

What I got.
    RSD Stuff:
    Sun Records Vol 2
    Doors-Strange Days
    The Charlie Parker Story
    The Kinks - Kinksize Hits
    The Kinks - Kinksize Session
    The Kinks - You Really Got Me b/w Milk Cow Blues
    non-RSD:
    Father John Misty- I Love You, Honeybear
    John Coltrane- Live at the Village Vanguard (First pressing for a dollar!)
    Nick Cave - Tender Prey
    Nina Simone - At the Village Gate

17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Round 2! I should know better than to go back to a record store lol! Since my town has five locations participating in RSD, I went back this evening to see what the other store had and this is what I came back with. I need therapy but oh well.

I found a really low numbered Doors - No. 532 - so of course I couldn't resist. The funnest thing I got today was the green vinyl Lord Sitar lp - fantastic. Love the flipback Parlophone sleeve too! The rare McCartney was snapped up at 8:10 this morning and couldn't find the Brian Wilson 1964 Sessions but everything else seemed plentiful here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I had never heard of him. I might have to pick this up.

19. AnalogJ

I'm curious how the Willie Nelson is sonically.

20. AnalogJ

I went to McDonald's for the limited edition burgers only to flip them.

21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

My haul was less than year's past. There was stuff I left that I might have grabbed previously like the Ministry set, Sugarhill Gang, or the Bowie pic disc. There were a few soundtracks I couldn't find like Darjeeling Limited and Whiplash - hopefully repressed or easier to find later. My one regret was leaving My Name Is Nobody. Love that Spaghetti Western! Don't think it will be hard to find later.

So I was 40th in line and got

the Doors Strange Days LP
    Johnny Cash in Prague LP (that was an afterthought. I think it's in the huge CD set I have never completely gone through.)

Sinatra 10"
    Larry Young 10"
    Getz Gilberto 76 10" - this one I panicked on. Didn't know what the cover looked like. Found it next to last and that serendipitously led to finding . . .

. . . Johnny Marr 7" that someone had inexplicably left next to it as presumably an unwanted purchase. I had been going up and down the 7" aisle looking for it! Should have worn my glasses.
    Better Call Saul 7" easy grab.
    Dionne Wawick and the Stranglers side by side 7" was another one hard to spot. It was in PVC, YIKES! so no cover.

Oh and I may have gotten Get Behind Me Satan early . . . No comment ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  22. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Picked up The Zombies and Blue Mountain Eagle around 2p. Ordered Strange Days off eBay for $1 cheaper ($24.99) than the list price was at the store it sold out at.

23. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Yea, but the line moved and the staff/people are great. Some great vinyl in their new used bin/table.

We also went to Found Sounds in Ferndale and UHF in Royal Oak. Both great stores.

PostalBlowfish75 likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

Is that just one disc??

25. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

It's a replica of the original demo disc (selection, sequencing, mono reduction) that made the rounds in '67 to drum up interest in cover versions of the material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.