Headphone lovers, what do you love, what do you have, Head-Fi fans 2015 edition.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Yes they are detailed all right. As for you considering the 50's are you talking the older 50 or the newer 50X? The 40x I think you should look at as well if you are looking for a neutral balance.

2. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Looking at the 50x

Loving the 70x though, day two and they are just amazing and accurate.

Went to these from a pair of AKG 271s

3. Stereosound

The 50x are nice I just think they're slightly off in the treble they have a slight brightness to them tone wise. I don't find them harsh just more of a warm feeling kind of bright. They have a different soundstage than the 40x too. The 40X was also tuned for a flat frequency response and sound more natural to me tone wise. I suggested them if you were looking at phones good for mixing/mastering. Not that the 50x aren't a bad choice either just that the 40x was designed more towards that kind of use. Don't think I've listened to the AKG 271's before. Enjoy the 70x. I can take them in short stints but find them too fatiguing for me after too long.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I used to have a set of Sennheiser Momentum until this evening when someone stole them off my back seat (hidden under a towel, no less) while I ran into Starbucks for a cup of coffee. I couldn't have been gone six minutes. An empty parking lot at a little mall. Thieving bastards, I hate them. I saved for six months for those phones.

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Man that is terrible! For what it's worth, I see these come up for sale for a lot less from time to time. Here's a pair of the over the ear version for $140. They are ivory and back ordered, so you'd have to wait, but they won't break the bank (I hope):

http://slickdeals.net/f/7728285-sen...ar-headphones-ivory-139-97-fs-sonicelectronix

6. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Sorry, just a joke that fell flat. I meant in the sense of "careful what you wish for" - the headphones I fantasize about might sound dreadful in reality.

7. Stereosound

Thought you might of been being sarcastic. Just curious if you had a different reason.

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD 800 phones and a Woo Audio WA6 amp. A mighty sweet combo!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Stereosound

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Homeowners insurance might cover you on this...

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Most people's deductible would be higher than the cost of Momentums, not to mention the risk of being canceled for making a small claim. Home owner's insurance is really for catastrophic events.

12. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I bought the Audiotechnica limited edition blue M50x last year. My first pair of cans. Love them. High on bass as many described on this thread.

I travel a lot so would like to buy noise canceling headphones. Any thoughts on the Sennheiser PXC 450? The ATH M50x's passive noise canceling is not enough to block background noise on flights.

13. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think I just really am fortunate to have USAA. They'll cover nearly anything.

jhm likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't like active noise canceling headphones. They kill all that is potentially good about headphone sound. They remove all that is potentially good about good recordings. They remove the background airplane noise, but kill the music listening experience. I'd much much rather listen to closed full size headphones that I like and have the airplane noise leak in than listen to a noise canceling headphone during a flight. When I listen to full size closed headphones on an airplane I don't find the airplane noise that leaks in to be a problem. I hear it, and it is there. But I don't find it annoying or bothersome. I'd rather hear the music that way than with active noise canceling headphones.

If you want to block more of the airplane noise then a good IEM (in ear monitor) earphone that completely seals the ear canal like an ear plug would be the better way to go. A good IEM will block the airplane noise similar to wearing ear plugs.

Ivand likes this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My Etymotics block out more noise than those earplugs they give you on the plane.

razerx likes this.
  16. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

B&W P7 for me.

Beutifully detailed warm sound that never gets tirering with top-notch build quality. No amp needed! They are so easy to drive that my IPOD is sufficient for decent volume and punch. 22ohm if i'm not mistaken.

Top tip for everyone on the hunt for a pair of headphones. Never heard a pair better suited for me, although haven't tried the senn-800s

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That would be you then. I don't have the same experience - I love them.

18. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Benchmark DAC2 HGC -- Sennheiser HDVA600 -- HD800 with the Sennheiser balanced cable.

The only change I'm looking at now is a balanced interconnect instead of the Vdh First Ultimate I'm currently using.

Then that's it for the foreseeable...my wallet is fed up!

NB I've concentrated on a good headphone system because I'm an apartment dwelle.

19. sami

sami Mono still rules

I don't do a lot of headphone listening, but I've never felt a need to upgrade from my original Grado SR-225's, which are wonderful.

20. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I use Audeze LCD-2 and also Denon AH-D7000 headphones with a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp. Absolutely tremendous SQ from both headphones. The LCD-2 is more neutral and detailed but with a deep natural bass. The Denons are fun ...punchy and bassy yet smooth....

21. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I dipped my toe in Grado's pool with the 225e. They left me with an impression of the Grado sound but left me wanting for more. Now I have a pair of GS1000e on the way.

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

When sound leakage isn't an issue, my preferred setup is a Bottlehead Crack OTL amp into Sennheiser HD-650's. So easy on the ears, comfortable for longer sessions, nice liquid sound.

If I want something more aggressive or if I need a bit of isolation, I run a pair of Paradox Slants from the headphone amp on my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. This setup offers more slam/dynamics, and I prefer it for some types of music. The cans are more detailed for sure, with great bass.

For portable listening, travel, etc. I use Westone W4R inner ear monitors with an iBasso Dx90 DAP. It's a nice easy setup on a plane, with great isolation.

I like headphones in certain circumstances, but prefer speakers whenever possible.

23. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

I love my PSB M4U2s - really good built-in amp and the option for noise-cancelling. They are the bomb! :love:

jhm likes this.
  24. Staxman

Staxman Member

I find I smile quite a bit when I listen to my Stax 007 and Woo WES. Probably smile even more when I acquire the Stax 009...

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Which tips do you use with your Ety? I like the Christmas tree ones that came with it but then could not find same sized replacements so have now settled on the foams but they are not as isolating.