You buy a used CD online and it arrives without the booklet. Do you care?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PaulKTF, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

If an online sales offer says there is no booklet, it is usually a deal-breaker for me. Usually.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Absolutely I care. If the seller had said up front that it didn't include the booklet, I wouldn't have bought it.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I'm asking too much for a "New" cd that I paid a premium for to actually be new? That's crazy talk. As for cutouts, I just paid $42.68 for a Dixie Chicken MFSL. It came with nasty spine cut. I should just say "OK, no problem?" You are far more easygoing than me. I want what I paid for, that is reasonable. Do you want to buy my Dixie Chicken? :winkgrin: It's going back and I already bought another one. There are now no more new copies on Amazon and if they're are any on Ebay they're higher price than I paid. In fact, I chose Goodwill over the other seller in Germany and after I bought from Goodwill the German guy jacked up his price as he was the last guy with a new copy, so I had to pay more for mine. That's what you get for trying to help Goodwill. :laugh:

4. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I know it's not a lot of money, but I'd want the seller to make it right. I bought a used double CD off of Amazon recently that came without a case and I emailed the seller that this should have been noted. They agreed and sent me a case that didn't fit the inserts, oh well at least they tried.

5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Depends on the information value of the booklet and how much I paid. If it wasn't so described in the listing, and I paid more than ten bucks, I'd be a tad miffed, but life is too short to lose much sleep over it.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I think you're asking too much. Seriously. Not that it matters, it's your business. The Amazon listings aren't governed or managed. You rely on the general public for the most part. A CD could be "new" - as in never previously owned by an individual - but be battered by three years of sitting in a store. It happens. If the case is special in some way, I think wanting a case that works is a must - but if it's a standard jewel case, I just replace it. That you've had so many issues points to it being more about you. I'd suggest you don't buy from Amazon, and get everything from a store so you can inspect it.

Sadly, I have no idea who Dixie Chicken are, so I'm not in the market for it. ;)

7. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Yes, I would.

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

What on earth are you talking about? I'm talking about buying US made cd's listed as "New". That means they are factory sealed. I will address you point by point as you seem to be on some sort of mind altering substance. Amazon third party listings are governed by the rules of Amazon and they are managed by Amazon. I buy and sell on Amazon.

Battered by 3 years of sitting in a store? What does that even mean? It's factory sealed or it's not. I don't complain if there are tears in the shrinkwrap. If the item is listed as "New" then it should be new and sealed (US pressings). End of story. If it's a cutout then it has to be listed as such.

Now please tell me how it is about me when I buy a new cd and it is actually a used cd that has been resealed? It's not new. What does that have to do with me? The reason I've had so many issues is because I've bought so many cd's and they are all out of print. Please explain to me how this can possibly be about me?

What I buy cannot be found in stores new, that is why I buy on the internet. OUT OF PRINT. Do you understand? Dixie Chicken is an album by Little Feat, the greatest rock and roll band ever.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

IMHO you are not asking too much - if you want it in new condition without a spine cut or cutout hole, that's what you should have.

However, when buying OOP and NOS CDs from third-party sellers, if the item and/or the price are such that I want a pristine copy, I always email/contact them first to ask if it's a cut-out or otherwise has any cuts or holes. If they say it does, I don't buy. If they say they have so many items they can't check, I don't buy. And if they don't reply, I don't buy.

If you look for stuff listed as "new" condition, and you don't ask them ahead of time about cut-out issues, then you are asking for trouble. If you feel that something listed as "new" shouldn't have cut-out issues, you have every right to your opinion - but knowing that not all sellers will take the same view, you're just setting yourself up for conflict and aggravation if you don't check ahead of time.

Malina likes this.
  10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I agree! I do have my standard email that asks about record clubs, cutouts and confirmation on "factory sealed" and that has cut down on problems, but sometimes I don't sent it and sometimes I have to snag it before someone else does and hope for the best.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046ZQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One guy was listed at $9.44 and the next seller was Cowkittymedia at $31.99. I figured I could get beat, but I wanted it and if it was a reseal I'd probably get it for free anyway. Luckily it was new and I got a killer deal. That's something you have to grab fast and hope for the best. As for Cowkittymedia? I got Marvin Gaye - Love Starved Heart from that seller on August 12, 2o12 and it was a used reseal, full refund. I don't buy from him anymore.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Only if it came advertised and priced as having the booklet.

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

If the booklet is missing then the CD is not complete & should say this in the listing.

Darryl

Muzyck and tmtomh like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sadly, I'm not on mind-altering substances. What we have here is a difference of opinion, that's all. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen stores shrink-wrapping music right there behind the counter. A shrink wrap is no gaurantee of anything, it's a cheap machine they use, and takes seconds to accomplish.

I also think - given the number of problems you've encountered - that you are on the wrong path. You can't expect to keep doing the same things and expect a different result. It is what it is. As it stands you are, apparently, constantly disappointed. I reckon it's better you accept that your high standard is too high for Amazon Marketplace. As to those standards, yes Amazon have "standards", but the thing is - they do nothing to police it, they rely on sellers. Sellers are in the business of selling, not worrying about quality control.

That's all I'm saying. When I buy new I expect new, of course. But I don't fool myself into believing everything I've purchased as new is indeed new. It's part and parcel of Internet shopping, where you throw money into data packets and a CD arrives (sometimes smashed to hell) by the mail service. It's not a method designed to keep Mint in actual Mint condition, imo.

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Shrink wrapping behind the counter.

:biglaugh:

15. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Depends on how rare it is. If it is a rare CD that has a common insert than it isn't the biggest deal for me.

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I gotta say, you are a strange character. Shrinkwrap and cellophane are not the same thing, fyi. "On the wrong path." :laugh: As for constantly disappointed - thanks for the analysis, Dr. Vaughn. I guess you're a quitter in life, but that's you, not me, so don't project whatever issues you have into my head. And once again, you are wrong. Amazon may not police their sellers, but they do a great job at taking care of buyers who have issues.

If you buy something that is supposed to be new, but it's used, your response is "Oh well. I'm a sap. I think I'll just get ripped off. Please walk all over me because I'm a doormat." I, on the other hand, send an email and get my cd for free almost every time. If I want a new copy, then I am free to buy another one. That is how I handle it and that is why I love the land of the free. If you want to let people take advantage of you, that is your decision. Obviously you have chosen to be a punching bag in life and if that's what you want to be then so be it. Enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

FYE does that, but I haven't purchased a cd in a brick an mortar since 2002 when my local chain Compact Disc World went out of business. They also used to reseal stuff. I remember I got the 2 cd Rascals Anthology on Rhino and when I got home I saw there was no booklet in there and I was confused because the discs looked new. I went back to the store, opened another copy, took out the booklet and walked out of the store. :laugh: An old record store trick is to remove the cellophane while keeping the top seal intact, then flip up the bottom hinge, use the cd as a store play copy, then reseal and sell as new. This is of course criminal fraud and is illegal.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Can't live without the inserts. I do have a few lps without covers cuz they were dirt-cheap

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, this will be my final post on this particular topic. You're trying to project some Dr. vibe on me - while getting ever more hysterical about shrink wrap. Erm....... I think you need to look at yourself because getting hyper-sensitive about all and sundry isn't a good position to be in. :)

You continue doing what you're doing, and having returns at the rate you're having. It clearly makes you both happy and unhappy. But if the number of returns you gave is accurate, then it's clear that the real world and your expectations of it are clearly at odds. At the end of the day they're just CD's. So enjoy the music, and leave it at that.

anthontherun likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

While it's closed now - HMV in Oxford St. London had them. You'll see them in Video Game stores all the time, too. The way I can usually tell if a CD has been opened before is the booklet, which has tell tale signs.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I can tell the difference between shrink wrap and cellophane very easily by sight and touch. :shrug:

Malina likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I was describing a machine, not the material they used to actually do the wrapping - which I never got to examine. Some of you are so literal. :D

23. PaulKTF

Us? Here? Literal? No way!

(Well okay, maybe). :)

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If I'd known this matter was going to be so contentious I'd of gotten pictures, samples, and sworn affidavits from the store staff and manager. But I was naive back in the day. :D

25. PaulKTF

Pfft, piker! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.