Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

After all the shopping my friend and I went to get a drink and some food. There was a table next to us with a group of Dads and their daughters all of whom had been out for RSD. The kids were going through their purchases and were pretty excited about it all. It was pretty cool to see that.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My haul. Missed the Goldfrapp, dammit. Still happy with what I got, though!

[​IMG]

Revolver and Troyh like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Some of the stores in town have crazier crowds for sure but I always try and help out if I can. Today there was a dad with his son talking about trying to find the Lego Movie lp. I had seen it at another store and let them know. I was heading back to that store as well and arrived well before they did. Not sure what took them so long! Anyway, I grabbed a copy of the lp for them. When they got there, I passed it over. It was the last one and the Dad was quite appreciative. His son was really happy as they hadn't been able to find a copy.

Although, when I first grabbed the lp the guy next to me ribbed me about it, jokingly. I protested and said "It's for this guys little kid!" We had a good laugh about it.

4. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

They sure have fun with RSD though with lots of cold Stoney's and hot dogs available. I bought 14 CDs there then headed to The Attic where I found lots of RSD things that Eide's and Sound Cat didn't have earlier in the day.

Got The 2Lp Husker Du, Social Distortion, Happy Mondays, Doors, Marr single, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and the only copy of Ivy's Guestroom that I saw in Pittsburgh. Nice heavy record with nice packaging, but the very tight card sleeve scuffed the heck out of a patch on side two. Very bummed about that, as it was one item I wanted the most. My Japan CD will remain my go-to for that I guess.

Terry

markshan likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I hope you get a copy for a decent price. Up here in Canada it was selling for $50-57 Canadian (USD 38-44). I saw the wholesale price and it was $40 (USD 31). I didn't think it was that limited as I saw copies in each place I went to but I guess they are based on some of the posts in this thread. I thought about buying an extra one and offering it on here but due to postage costs I thought it would've been too expensive so decided against it. I wish I had now.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

My local store was selling it for $60 CAD, said cost was $45 for him.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Just wondering...did anyone in Toronto see the Neko Case lp?

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Sorry, I didn't know about your new found love of vinyl. Just a word of warning though, some people drop CDs for vinyl, but they always come back to CDs. For those who haven't yet, you will. You will.

Get the joke?

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The other LP I bought at Goodwill in Duluth is T.G. Sheppard's Smooth Sailin'

panasoffkee likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm doubly happy. Got 2 copies of the 45 I wanted. Best recorded song in the last ten years. My audiophile delight.

[​IMG]

11. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Johnny Marr - I feel you (Available on iTunes now) thanks God not all is exclusively released on vinyl.... Bad Roxy music bad.

JeffMo likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Johnny Marr 7 inch vinyl was apparently $15

[​IMG]

SecondHandNews and LeeS like this.
  13. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Yep - haven't tried to play it though... The guy behind me in line and I were joking around about it when I grabbed it.... He said it definitely looked cool, but I could most certainly find a 7" of it in the bins for maybe $2. I pointed out that I already had one and probably didn't even have $2 tied up in it! I still had to buy the stupid thing though.
    Funny thing - we got home and put this on and my wife and I were both pleasantly surprised how great it sounded to us (although I thought "Leaves That Are Green" sounded much nicer than "Homeward Bound"). We mentioned that if S&G sounded this nice on vinyl, we'd have to look into it, having only the CDs. Found the insert a couple hours later. They very well might get my money.

14. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

In a way I was, that reissue Wee Small Hours LP was wretched. It turned me off from the Capitol Vaults series.
    I haven't seen any new digital remasters of SFYL/SE and was wondering if Capitol dusted off the EOTC remaster for the 10".

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

For those of you who want the Polaris lp and didn't get it today, it'll be available online next week sometime.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wanted this too last year but missed out. Bought Otis Blue today and listening now. Sounds great

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Amazed me how many people i saw out with smart phones in corners & on phones calling people back home with computers checking items ................ I don't really care if people are selling but it was almost Pure comedy watching them ....
    Then i saw people going in & then going back to their cars , going in , going back to their cars ...checking stuff online a few at a time , i swear a few people had setups in the car with spreadsheets going :laugh::doh:

SecondHandNews likes this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I saw this one , now what was it a 2-lp set both Mono/stereo on one & then a 45 rpm blue lp of the Mono ? sure looked cool but was $50 & i was not sure what it was .

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Thank you, that was the only thing I really kinda wanted. When I got to the store today around 4:00 they were out. Didn't realize it would be so popular.

I did end up getting one RSD exclusive, though: "11:11" by Maria Taylor. It's from 2005 but first time on vinyl. RSD version is colored.

Also was pleasantly surprised to find a single copy of the new Bjork vinyl (finally!) and snagged it.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That makes his comment about "not recommending we buy it at gouging prices from eBay" make more sense.

Smiths22 likes this.
  21. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

rick ross's release was four songs at 19.99 at my store....

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Had to shake my head at the Dylan 7" when I saw it. Asking price at my local store was $11. That's for two songs on the frickin' album!

And all the $25 Springsteen reissues. Yeah, those are just so hard to find for cheap.

Looked like there was a glut of the Flaming Lips 10" records that no one wanted, too.

Not trying to be all negative here, but some of this stuff just seems so unnecessary.

23. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

[​IMG]

Playing this as I post.

"Mesmerise Live"
    by Temples, a RSD 12 inch release.

TRACKLIST:

"Mesmerise (extended version live)"/"Move With The Season (The Horrors remix)"

Rick A.

StephMess78 likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's a two LP set. Mono mix and stereo. Plus a blue 45 of I've been loving you too little long. Mine was $45 and was reluctant to spend but glad I did cause it sounds so much better than my original which is trashed. I'm lovin it

DrJ and Davidmk5 like this.
  25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I spent too much but got a bunch of great stuff - Monk, Curtis Fuller, Animals EP and LP, Replacements, Otis Redding, the crazy rare Chet Atkins record with his bro, and many others - and had a blast. The crowds were not too bad at my local places and more importantly everyone was cool - one flipping through boxes while another held the stuff already viewed and everyone courteously allowing people standing by to grab stuff they wanted before continuing to flip. My conclusion is rekkid buyers are cool. :laugh: And I think RSD is fun - brings back my younger days and there were a bunch of young people there who seemed to genuinely know their stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.