Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not... All I'm really getting at is if they would do an "unreleased tracks that didn't and probably won't see any future release" type of compilation, I'd want it in physical format: I don't do downloads, I prefer actual, in the hand/holdable, CDs :)

mikew likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That'd be great, but... I wouldn't look for it to happen. Maybe as a Rhino Handmade deal but even then...

3. Grand_Ennui

Maybe, maybe not... All I'm really getting at is if they would do an "unreleased tracks that didn't and probably won't see any future release" type of compilation, I'd want it in physical format: I don't do downloads, I prefer actual, in the hand/holdable, CDs :)

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I also think if they are doing multiple versions of these, then why not:[​IMG]

...maybe with a "rainbow room" background...

joy stinson and Grand_Ennui like this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Exactly my point. I think many of us here have said and argued with the hecklers that they're more than a "fake band" on the threads here. They fought to become a "real" band, be taken seriously and get a little respect with their music. I fail to see how these toys will bring any added positive buzz and attention to their image as mentioned. Will it hurt them? Of course not, but I'll pass.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The Monkees were marketed on toys back in the 60's. In fact that's one of the primary reasons the band was formed in the first place.

It's just a happy coincidence that we managed to get some really great music as part of the concept. :)

MarkTheShark, monkeetrade and D-rock like this.
  7. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I don't really mind the toys...they're not for me, but I think people will really like them. The more exposure/demand they have, the better chance we have for additional music releases.

With the 50th anniversary coming...I was really hoping that this Trio incarnation of the Monkees would have new recordings (perhaps with a new album or songs on a potential 50th anniversary box). After reading articles/posts from Micky and Peter though, I'm not super hopeful that they'll be future involvement like this. I will go on thinking never say never, as they have surprised us many times throughout their career.

D-rock likes this.
  8. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

We're coming up on the longest stretch without any new recordings by any formation of the Monkees...do you think we'll get anything new for the 50th anniversary?

9. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Never say never, but I kind of doubt it. Mike seems to be not be interested again. Having a Micky/Peter recording as the Monkees wouldn't generate much interest at this point, IMO.
    I think Rhino will concentrate on the Deluxe releases of MOTM, Headquarters and PACJ for 2016-2017. Perhaps a re-release of the TV shows (maybe with alt songtracks and outtakes), and the movie/TV specials.

Galley and D-rock like this.
  10. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I pondered starting a new Monkees thread (perish forbid!) to discuss the following hypothetical question: what would BB&M have sounded like had the Monkees continued to work with Chip Douglas and what would have been on it?

First, given some of the tracks he produced for The Turtles in 1968 and the unused backing track of "We Were Made For Each Other," he was comfortable working with country overtones. The latter could have been fantastic with Davy's completed vocal, clearly superior to the released take. Clearly, it would have been difficult to get them to work together as a band - but there were still "mixed mode" activities going on (e.g., Peter adding banjo to "Carlisle Wheeling And The Effervescent Popsicle").

I know Chip has mentioned wanting to record "P.O. Box 9847" and almost certainly another stab would have been made at "I'll Be Back Up On My Feet." Beyond that, it's fun to speculate which tracks he could have gotten them to work jointly on. Imagine "Ceiling in My Room" with Micky harmonizing. Or a group studio take of "Circle Sky" or "Nine Times Blue." While I certainly think that a lot of interesting music came from the directions they took individually in late 1967 and early 1968, it seems like an opportunity was missed by not continuing to work with Chip.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For sure , we would (at least) have I'm A Man with a Davy sing vocal.
    It would be interesting, but we would also miss a lot of neat stuff had it been only Chip producing.

D-rock likes this.
  12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Assuming the Monkees had continued the direction of Pisces, the only other BBM tracks I can imagine making the cut are Zor & Zam and Auntie's. I would think that a couple of Peter's songs (Tear the Top and Lady's Baby) would have been included, as they should have been in the first place.

Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

I agree that it's too bad they didn't do "mixed mode" for at least one more album with Chip... I agree that they did do some cool stuff individually in '67/'68, but one more group effort would have been nice...

14. Grand_Ennui

Does anyone know what Chip thought of Peter's material (if he heard any of it at all)? Peter says he thought "Pisces..." was "a Chip Douglas album": Did he feel that way because he felt like his ideas/material were being ignored and because of that he didn't want to work with Chip anymore?

15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Been working on a itunes playlist of just the songs used in the TV show. Was gonna add the songs that were used in the reruns but could only find the original air date songs. Anyone able to help out?

The ones I can think of are "Midnight Train", "Apples, Peaches, Bananas & Pears", "I Never Thought It Peculiar"...

Also I didn't see "For Pete's Sake" listed in the original air dates other than a ending excerpt. Is that true?

It was also fun to add the live songs from the concert episode but which concert(s) from the Live '67 shows were used? I have the Summer 67 box.

I've been using the Arista CDs, Then & Now (Hits), Summer 67 box and Missing Links 1-2 for the most part. Sound quality is so much warmer and easier on the ears.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

D-rock likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

That's how I remember it. I don't think it was added in the reruns (as that's how I originally watched the show).

Darryl

D-rock likes this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Here is For Pete's Sake (with the extended opening) from the TV Show(although it is too fast in this video).

D-rock likes this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I saw Oh My My on a Saturday morning repeat. It was a first season romp with a swing set.

20. Fixed.

D-rock likes this.
  21. Yeah, Nez seems to not even want to resume his solo tour. That said I'm hoping for some 50th ann shows. But I can tell it'll only be a handful of show if it happens at all. Not looking forward to trying to score those tickets. Then, I'm sure they will retire the act as a touring entity. Great run though.

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

"Pool It" is no classic by any stretch,but I'll take it anyday over DJB&H.I tried for too many years,to get both DJB&H albums,including the Concert In Japan,but just gave up.There is a reason those DJB&H records still don't sell for much money.

23. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

DJB&H Came along at the right time for me. I was 15-16 and desperate for Monkee music of ANY kind.

Poop It came along when I was in grad school. Had I been 15-16 when that album came out I'm sure it would've made a better impression. I still went to see them when they toured. I just had such high expectations for a new album that they would've been tough to meet. And that cover was such a terrible first impression.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've always heard 'Mary, Mary' in that spot.
    I've seen the YT video before, but as part of the episode.

Darryl

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Interesting. Another unreleased alternate take? Or is that just considered something that was remixed while editing the song sequence?