Preamp for Manley 250 Neoclassic monoblocks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you guys think is a good match for Manley 250's? I know that Manley 300B is a popular choice but it has no phonostage and at this moment after all the renovation in the new house I would like to save a few rubles by not having to buy a separate phonostage amp. So the preamp I'm looking for has to have a phonostage. This is my new listening room with Manley 250 and Electrovoice speakers btw.

[​IMG]

2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Do you have Rogue there?

If so, take a look at their options. The new RP5 is extremely nice, as are the Perseus and the 99.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How about a Manley Steelhead?

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Yeah, either the Steelhead or Jumbo Shrimp, or if you can find one a Shrimp.

5. antonkk

Steelhead is just a phonostage with volume controls. I can't play CDs through it, right?

6. chacha

No you actually can. It has a line stage as well. I have one but only play vinyl through it. It's terrific.

7. antonkk

That's pretty weird - I remember reading a glowing review on Steelhead which stated that you can even use it as a preamp if you play LPs. Did you try the line stage?

8. chacha

No I haven't played CDs through it. I only play LPs at home. I bought my Steelhead used on Audiogon about 10 years ago and love it. If you play a lot of vinyl it might be a great solution for you.

9. antonkk

Well, I plan to play vinyl mostly, but I still have thousands of CDs.

10. chacha

Great - then you can check it out and see how it sounds on cd. The phonostage is fantastic. I especially like how a MC sounds on the MM input. The amount of flexibility is extraordinary with loading, capacitance., gain etc.

11. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

I had a heck of a good time with a Coffman Labs preamp a while back. It had exactly the right combination of tone and jump to match with my Manleys and some Tannoys and JBLs. The phono stage is excellent -- the center of the design instead of an afterthought. If I were looking for a preamp with phono stage that could do justice to the 250s, I'd probably start looking there.

Disclaimer: I'm friendly enough with Damon Coffman in that I've been to his factory and shared a couple of beers with him. Mostly, though, I just dig his products.

12. Sheldon Sandler

Sheldon Sandler Active Member

Also might wasn't to consider a Audible Illusion Modulus 3a with the John Curl Gold phono card.

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Steelhead does a line level input, so if you just have a single other source to connect, then you certainly can use it as your preamp.

FYI, it also sounds pretty nice as preamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.