Alabama Shakes Announce New Album "Sound & Color" (April 21, 2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Any opinions about the soundquality, apart from the poor DR-values?

So, the LP comes only with MP3-downloadcode I suppose?

No 24bit-files either?

2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Oh lordie!

I've listened to the album on NPR and wasn't particularly thrilled with it. Maybe it's a grower? But these DR values are not impressive at all. At one time purchasing this album was a no brainer for me but now I'm not so sure.

3. PanaPlasma

It depends. The latest Angus & Julia Stone-album had also DR3 and DR4 values (Rick Rubin) and sounded OK to my ears. I've heard DR8-albums that were more fatiguing to me...

Seems like the blame is not with Rick Rubin, because the latest Damien Rice-album produced by him was "quite dynamic".

In the mean time the first DR1-records have showed up. The loudness wars ain't over :(

4. Exile On My Street

Oh, I agree..and if my first listen had left a better impression I would most likely still purchase it despite the DR values. I think I'm going to wait for others to weigh in first before I pull the trigger.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been listening to some of the tracks for the past week, very optimistically, but it's not really sinking in. I'd love it to be the soul epic that we really need these days, but not sure it's delivering that. Well see.

I'm not expecting sonic greatness. I have the first album on vinyl, and it's a little over done, kinda like a couple of the recent Black Keys (whose production is also similar).

6. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

Really enjoyed this up until The Greatest -
    that track and the next really threw off an album with wonderful cohesion.
    Then i was in the foul mood for the rest.
    I'd like to campaign for a re-issue with some tracks taken off. i'd take off 8, 9 & 10. not sure what they are doing there.
    don't really love 11 either, and lukewarm about the closer.
    Never had an album take such a curve before.

Dear young bands, it's okay to release a 45 minute album!!! i swear!

7. Exile On My Street

So true..I plan on giving the stream another listen in a few minutes but yes, right after the first half I had trouble staying engaged for the rest of the album.

8. Exile On My Street

So far 3 full listens and outside of the singles..I'm just not feeling it. In fact, I think it's pretty bad. The last 7 songs really drag, IMO.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Parts of the lp actually distorted with farting bass sounds on my system. Whether this was a tracking issue or because of a brickwalled level, I can't say for sure, but it's certainly nothing I've experienced on other records.

Oh yeah, and my download card didn't work, either.

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Actual release date isn't until Tuesday, I'm sure the download will work then. I assumed that when I tried to use my download code today and it didn't work, saying there were no files available in the folder.

seed_drill likes this.
  11. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

So has anyone picked up the clear or black vinyl editions of this today and have anything to add regarding the sound quality?

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Mine with the distortion was the clear version, FWIW.

13. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Damien Rice doesn't wait 7 or 8 years between albums to let the producer screw it up.

14. BenM22

BenM22 New Member

I'd love to have some more feedback on that clear vinyl sound quality, thats all they have in store around where i am, and i'm hesitating on whether i should wait for the black one or not.

15. PanaPlasma

Same here.

So I can skip the cd, and buy the clear vinyl + buy 24bit download.

16. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

The DR is bad but the album is very good. Musically they have grown a lot and songs like Future People show it's hard to pinpoint what genre they are. This band continues to impress me and I still haven't had a chance to see them play.

The new Scott Weiland sounds terrible.

17. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Like the studio tracks, LOVE the live performances. Brittany Howard is a force on stage, to be sure

Ash76 and Khamakhazee like this.
  18. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I just bought the clear vinyl on the way home. On my first listen now - just on side 2. So far there is no distortion and it sounds fantastic to my ears. Don't know about DR levels but it sounds dynamic to me with a lot going on and Brittany's voice sounds amazing

fourfeathers likes this.
  19. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Grabbed the clear vinyl edition on the way home today, and she sounds great! No distortion on my end. In fact the highlight of the whole LP for me might be when that intentionally-distorted bass (or keys?) on "Future People" kicks in. Packs an awesome punch, and what an awesome track. In the running for "top tune of the year" in my books, actually.

Really nice low-end all over the record. The album has a somewhat compressed sound in places, but there's some still some really nice dynamics going on here. "Gimme All Your Love" really showcases this well. The softer numbers like "This Feeling" really shine on the vinyl. Don't know who played the bongos, or whatever hand drums are on this track (the whole band is listed as percussion) but they sound fantastic.

I had only heard streams before so this is a serious improvement and like listening to a whole new album. Only $20 too. No complaints here!

In terms of content, really love how diverse this album is. They're slipping into MMJ-territory, in which they are pretty much unclassifiable. There's no better compliment you can give a band.

matt79rome89 and Ash76 like this.
  20. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Only $20.00!?! Shows how much we get ripped off in Australia - I pail a lot more than that!

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have been to four record stores this week and i have not seen this anywhere

22. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

What a fantastic record! I wasn't blown over by their first, but this one is excellent! I must have listened to it 8 times today.
    Your opinion has been rendered irrelevant by your dismissal of Miss You. For those seeking Otis Redding's ghost, his stamp is all over this one!
    Yeah, that extra 2 minutes and 26 seconds really kills the whole record...

fmfxray373 likes this.
  23. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

As others have noted, I think the distortion you hear is intended. Of course I can't say for sure in your case--and it would not surprise me seeing as these were pressed at United-- but there are several tracks with distorted bass. Drums are very deep and boomy as well. It's a different sound for sure, but I like it.

24. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

They did this on their first album as well. I have the cd and it's distorted and crackles in certain areas, I think it's intentional. At least I hope so, lol.

25. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

This has always wound me up too. Its not just the young bands. The latest Bowie record would have been so much better if he had cut at least four or five songs from the tracklist. 45 minutes is, I believe, the optimum length for an album. In fact there should probably be a thread on albums that can be made better by reducing them down to the 45 minute mark!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Rockinrob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.