Your favorite version of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

So much for not making it personal. I tried to "attack the hypothesis" not the person in this thread, oh well

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Where did I say that? I am saying the Mastersound is compressed. If you want to discuss those DCCs in another thread, I'd be glad to. But please don't put words in mouth, OK?

And, FWIW, IMO, nothing is above reproach.

Dave likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

4. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For what it's worth, I prefer the 2-track Japanese CD, it has a warm and rich tonality. I seem to remember the Mastersound being too bright for my liking.

6. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ Japan 2-track release of WYWH features CD-pre-emphasis, IIRC.

7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

The two track is very nice but I also like the Mastersound and the SACD. But if I had to choose...I'd go with the two track. There's just something more natural to the sound and it is for lack of a better term crank-able. The Mastersound still does sound great however, and wouldn't part with it.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It does in fact have pre-emphasis.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Most cd players handle pre-emphasis just fine. Although it's always good to know which cd's have it, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I don't either. Someone resurrected a 2011 thread for some reason.

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

CD drives in computers do not. So if someone would like to rip his 2-track and stream it to his DAC, then the ripped files need to be de-emphasised. Otherwise the music will sound trebly and harsh.

12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

That waveform screenshot comparison does not demonstrate that Sax used compression.

grandegi likes this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

That's an interesting point. I think you can de-emphasize using files if you create a cue sheet.
    If the PF flag is not in the cue sheet - you can add it using a text editor. Of course then the DAC has to be able to recognize the flag.

Also, I believe the XLD ripper takes care of de-emphasizing if needed. That's what I've been using and the files, so far, sound great.

14. Yost

As far as I know XLD doesn't de-emphasise. I'm using sox to do this after I've ripped a CD with XLD.

15. HiFi Guy 008

According to this
    http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html
    it does - as of the 2009 11/8 version.

Have you done a listening comparison?

iTunes also does de-emphasis, but it may not detect PE if the flag is not in the TOC.
    XLD does detect PE if the flag is not in the TOC. Such as on New Order's original Japan/UK Low-life.

16. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Man, that pre emphasis stuff really confuses the heck out of me!

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  17. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

iTunes is supposed to remove pre-emphasis. Rip into a CUE sheet with EAC, mount the CUE sheet and then rip to AIFF with iTunes. No more pre-emphasis. Then convert it to FLAC or whatever with foobar2000.

18. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

The redbook layer of the Analogue Productions SACD, which for what I know is the same mastering as the 2011 Discovery set.

The 2-track is lacking in detail in comparison, analogue as it may sound, while the MasterSound is shrill in comparison.

19. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Yes XLD detects the flag and you can see it if you save the cue sheet and then open with a text editor, but my tests with the latest version confirm that it does not automatically apply de-emphasis - I still had to use another program (xACT) to apply de-emphasis after ripping.

20. Yost

Yes, that's what I do too. Use XLD to rip, look into the cue sheet and apply de-emphasis (I use sox) if the PRE flag is present.

21. Yost

Maybe when you use a cue sheet. When ripping my EW&F Raise! CD ( 35DP-15, with pre-emphasis) iTunes won't detect it.

22. S. P. Honeybunch

Some forum members have found a difference between the SACD redbook layer and the standard 2011 CD in that they prefer the SACD redbook.

23. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Pretty certain they are the same mastering but one may have different loudness

24. S. P. Honeybunch

25. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.