You buy a used CD online and it arrives without the booklet. Do you care?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PaulKTF, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm legitimately interested now. When I say "a shrinkwrap machine" I'm describing a process, not a material. What is a machine that seals with cellophane called? A Cellophane machine? Is it a whole other machine, or are there machines that do both? I must find out in case I ever decide to open a "New" record store. :D

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd call that a shrink-wrap machine too, actually. :) I have no idea what the actual name of the machine(s) are or if there's a difference in their names. I was just saying that cellophane and shrink-wrap are pretty easy to tell apart.

3. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

I'm a (non-pro) seller on Amazon Marketplace UK - don't know if the rules/condition guidelines are different for US but you're meant to clearly list if anything is missing & booklets are supposed to be there & intact for any grade higher than acceptable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149161#music

Malina likes this.
  4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Another day, another ripoff. Nina Simone - The Colpix Years on Rhino listed as "Brand New". It was not factory sealed or sealed at all and a quick inspection of the underside of the discs reveals this is an obviously used cd. It looks like another freebee. :agree:

5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You gotta read more carefully. I don't believe I specified the number of returns at all. Very rarely do I do returns. I almost always get them for free.

I just checked. Nowhere did I say anything about returns. Maybe that is the problem here. Your understanding of the facts is incorrect. Here is what I wrote:

I'd say I have about 70 free cd's so far. I haven't done any returns in quite awhile, although that Little Feat MFSL is going back I assume, doubt they are going to give me that one.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. ISellCDs

ISellCDs Forum Resident

As a buyer I care very much. I agree with Malina that it's a simple case of reporting the attempted deception to the seller and then receiving a full refund but these issues shouldn't be so prevalent. The problem is the marketplaces don't police these sellers and buyers have come to accept this sort of behavior and found their ways of dealing with it. PaulKTF your response is incredibly fair, you should be requesting a full refund and an explanation. If the explanation isn't satisfactory then a 1 out of 5 would be totally justified.

As a seller I think there should be full disclosure. This isn't about tolerance for the missing booklet because you still have the disc and the music. Yes, the disc still has value to some, but that information should be stated clearly giving the buyer the option to choose. Missing booklets, scratches, factory seals, spine labels, hole punched tray cards, hole punched jewel cases, sliced spines, etc. all factor in at some point on some items to someone. Its not the seller's place to withhold that information from the buyer.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

It this was a bargain CD sold at a bargain price then I wouldn't care. If it was a collectable CD sold at a collectable price then I would absolutely care and would complain to the seller and request a return for full refund. If an average CD at an average price then I might ask for a partial refund.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon has descriptions of what each grade means. VG includes all original elements.

The seller did not deliver what was ordered.

Amazon will force them to make good.

If you don't want the hassle, you should leave 3* or lower feedback,as that will count as a negative.

4* in this case is totally undeserved and means it'll be easier for them to rip off the next guy.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Direct from Amazon:

Used - Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly.

And Amazon policy is that the seller's comments don't override the rules.

So there is no discussion: VG implies complete with book.

See

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161242

10. PaulKTF

Thanks for looking up Amazon's policies, guys. I appreciate it. :)

11. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Years ago I bought a factory-sealed LP opera set that had a handwritten letter to a sailor inside.

12. PaulKTF

Maybe she worked in the record factory!

13. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This just happened to me. I ordered the 2CD Liberation Black Uhuru anthology from goHastings through amazon marketplace. It was listed as "Very Good" (ie, complete according to amazon policy). But when it arrived, both the outer slipcover and the 24-page booklet were not included. In other words, it was INCOMPLETE!

I have exchanged two emails with goHastings now, and they want me to return the item for a refund but will not pay for return shipping. I keep appealing to the amazon policy, which says "Very Good" items must be complete, and they keep appealing to goHastings' separate policy, which states that "Used" items might be missing certain elements. Ugh! If I had ordered directly from goHastings I can see how this policy would apply, but I would think amazon's policy overrides it.

A couple considerations:
    • The set is in a fatboy case, so an uninformed person might easily conclude that is is "complete" since it has cover art. They would actually have to do research to find out about the missing booklet.
    • The set only cost $3.01 plus $3.99 shipping, so it's not a huge deal. But it's the principle of the matter, right?
    • In other cases when something like this has happened with a cheap CD, the seller usually refunds immediately and just says "keep the disc." But goHastings is making a huge deal over this $3.01 CD. Then again, so am I.
    What should I do now? They have told me twice that they won't pay for return shipping. Do I need to file an A-Z with amazon? I've never done that before. The bottom line is that regardless of goHasting's separate policy regarding used CDs, they listed the CD as "Very Good" and therefore complete on amazon, and they didn't follow through. Grrr.

14. PaulKTF

Definitely file an A-Z claim with Amazon You're right, GoHastings is wrong in that their policy does not supersede Amazon's policy.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Depends on what I paid for it. If I only paid a couple of buck for it, then I'm not bothered. If I paid real money for it, I'd be bothered. But I picked No because as a matter of principle it does not concern me.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've never had a problem with GoHastingsCustomerService paying for return shipping. What did you say to customer service? Just say it's defective. Don't confuse things by going into detail.

Don't file an A-Z complaint except as a last resort. You only get a limited number of those.

17. morgan1098

I've never had a problem with GoHastings either. I'm shocked by this! Either they have changed their policy or I just got unlucky with a snarky customer service rep.

On my original claim I simply checked the "item was incomplete" box and made a note that the booklet and slipcase were missing.

GoHastings has already conceded that the item is incomplete. But they keep referencing the return policy on the GoHastings web site, which I never visited, rather than the amazon return policy. It's bonkers.

Also, the packing slip says "shipping charges are not refundable." But it's a Gohastings receipt, not an amazon one. I sent one final email hoping for a better outcome before resorting to an A-Z claim. We shall see!

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

What if it was a Mofi release? :idea: Maybe it did not come with a booklet in the first place? :idea: I would start a thread here inquiring who did or did not get a booklet.:idea:

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Given this set only cost $7 - I'd personally put GoHastings on my poo list, and move on. You got a bad deal. If I had to list bad deals I've had I could probably work myself up - to no great effect.

I recently had a case where a vendor listed a CD for £1. I ordered it, only to get an email two days later saying it "failed our last inspection". Fair enough - except it was immediately relisted for £7. I wasn't happy - but I just let it go, what can you do?

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And that seller was Zoverstocks--or whatever they call themselves on your side of the pond. Because that's what they do when they make a mistake in a listing. Instead of being forthright about it, they claim the item failed their final inspection.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It sounds like your CSR is misreading their policy:

The underlined text is assuredly meant to cover promo inserts / leaflets in DVDs and stuff like that, not the actual book insert in a CD set.

The way around this is to claim the CD is defective, rather than incomplete. They will accept defects as returns AND they pay return shipping in that case.

22. morgan1098

Well, after three emails, they finally caved. They sent a return shipping label. Now I just need to keep tabs on it and make sure they actually refund my initial purchase once the disc is mailed back.

If this had been my first experience with goHastings, I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to buy from them again. They're going to lose money on this because I'm sure it will cost them more to ship this back than I paid for it originally ($3.01). Hopefully this was just a one-time screw up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.