So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

So that means we have 2 years and 3 months approximately remaining if you keep up the pace. July 2017 has been cleared on my calendar!

Juggsnelson and Fullbug like this.
  2. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

When do we get to "I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender"?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Isn't there an REM song on Automatic For the People (last song on side 2) that sounds exactly like this song?

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

You should be asking "when do we get Rio and that song about those Wild Boys"!

Surly, Fullbug and greelywinger like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Nice!! A few burgers, a cold beer or two and some ZZ Top.....it's a date!

Mr Bass likes this.
  6. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Thanks. Dakar must have switched distributorship to Brunswick sometimes in the 70's. Brunswick was a part of U.S. Decca, even the labels resemble Decca's.

That still does not explain the Roulette labeled copy of "Can I Change My Mind" (unless it was a Canadian or other foreign pressing).

I found the connection to Brunswick here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakar_Records

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I found the connection to Roulette: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Tarnopol

I still don't understand how Roulette would have been involved at the time of Tyrone Davis' late 60's records (Tarnopol's connection to Roulette was for one year back in '59).

8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have about 7000 45s and would say that A thru D is 25% or a little more.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The Wiki story has the timeline off by a few years. Brunswick didn't become completely independent until the 70s. Before that, Decca just gave Tarnopol autonomy. Under that agreement, Tarnopol gave Carl Davis artistic control, and was the one who brought in the Chicago artists.

The info about Carl Davis' Dakar label can be found here. The clues about how Roulette distributed Dakar product can be found here:

So, during a time in the 80s, when the label did nothing but license master tapes, Tarnopol must have given Roulette permission to reissue the Dakar material. At this time, Roulette had its hand in the rap world with Sugarhill Records owned by Sylvia and Joe Robinson, who, after the success of "Rappers Delight", bought out Morris Levy's interest in the label. But, anyway...the thing of it is, Atlantic usually retains the ownership of the music it distributes. So, I can't say what happened.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

In response to 7" vinyl storage, I recently started using these plastic boxes from reallyusefulboxes.com. Staples sells the brand, but not this size. I had to order from the manufacturer. I have a very modest collection of only about 400 singles, but these boxes are ideal. They claim to only hold 100 each, but I have my entire collection in three boxes - so it comes out to about 135 per box, and I can easily flip through them like albums in a record store. They stack up perfectly and don't get so heavy - they are easily moved. They may be inconvenient for someone with thousands of 7"ers, but for a smaller collection, I would recommend these boxes in a heartbeat.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b09_0litreXL.php

They also make a size to hold 12" albums, but I have way too many albums for these boxes to be practical. Instead, I bought a wire rack unit from a warehouse club (rhymes with Jams) and it works wonderfully. It cost less than $100 and it is the best. The plastic liners for the shelves prevent the records from slipping through the wires and the little lip at the back of the shelf prevent you from pushing the album off the back (which is a problem I have with the shelving units I bought from Ikea). The only modification I had to do was to have pieces of plexiglass cut for the sides of the racks so the albums have a wall to lean against and don't tumble out of the sides. So, my total cost of storage for my entire collection of albums (well over 2000) was less than $200.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I'm definitely looking forward to see what you have from Duran Duran in your collection.

I'm up to the letter "S" in my iTunes listening project and am in the middle of listening to a bunch of Sloan right now!

Victor/Victrola and Juggsnelson like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I used to have that 45! Was it ever released on CD?

13. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-Blasphemous Rumours/Told You So (live)/Somebody (remix)/Everything Counts (live) UK ISSUE
    A double A-Sided single. "Blasphemous Rumours" tells the story of two girls: one a failed suicide survivor and the other a victim in a car crash. The irony in the song is that one girl tried to kill herself and failed and the other had recently found faith and died in an accident.
    "Somebody" is the first single released with a Martin Gore lead vocal.
    All 4 tracks on this single are excellent.
    [​IMG]

Surly and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-Never Let Me Down Again(single edit)/Pleasure, Little Treasure(Single edit/UK version)
    Lots of menacing synth effects busy at work in this one. Love those gothic sounding choir effects repeated during the coda. This one always goes down well live. Checkout the different 12" mixes if you are a fan of the song...great stuff there!
    "Pleasure, Little Treasure" is more upbeat than the A-Side. Some sounds used in this recording remind of "Personal Jesus" a few years later.
    [​IMG]

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thank you for the wonderful pics.
    Unless these are Sire pressings, would you post some photos of the record labels?

It wasn't just the music, but the labels of 45's that became my obsession with records at a disturbingly early age.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-Behind the Wheel(remix)/Route 66 UK ISSUE
    What's the significance of the umlaut over the "T"? A song about handing over control for one night. S&M and dominance themes certainly pop up in Gore's writing quite often! Insanely catchy beat...one of their finest singles.
    "Route 66" opens up with some rock guitar which Gore would come to use a bit more often as the years went on. This also samples parts of "Behind the Wheel" as well.
    [​IMG]

Poison_Flour and Surly like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Sure! Here are a few of the more colorful Depeche Mode labels...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HiFi Guy 008 and Surly like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

And some more....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surly and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Fantastic. The Meaning Of Love, Master And Servant, and Behind The Wheel are great designs. Never saw that Master And Servant label before. I have the Whip Mix 12" which has a fun design, but you're 7" looks is new to me. Thank you. More, please.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-Policy of Truth/Kaleid UK ISSUE
    Following the huge success of the killer singles "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence", this track is also a masterpiece. These guys were in the zone. The music is just fantastic. Around this time I was heavily into 80's rock music and I couldn't believe how much I loved these records made by guys who didn't favor organic instruments for the most part. A #15 hit in the USA. Some fantastic lyrics here regarding the wisdom of not always being 100% truthful. "It's just time to pay the price/For not listening to advice/And deciding in your youth/On the policy of truth."
    "Kaleid" is a moody instrumental piece. A quality B-Side.
    [​IMG]

Surly likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Here is a favorite label of mine from a Damned record I played in this thread recently. I'll make sure to include a pic of cool custom labels as they come up in this thread going forward!
    [​IMG].

HiFi Guy 008 and Surly like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-I Feel You/One Caress UK ISSUE
    The 4 symbols on the sleeve represent the 4 members of the band (notice the birth dates at the bottom of each symbol).
    The first single from the Songs of Faith and Devotion LP. Real drums, real guitar...I love it! Gahan was certainly living the rock star to excess lifestyle. I seem to remember some long time fans feeling a bit cool towards this album initially but the heavier sound really hit home for me. Great remixes from this period as well....sometimes far better than the album versions.(especially "In Your Room Zephyr Mix).
    "One Caress" is sung by Martin Gone and it features a nice string score on it.
    [​IMG]

dAlost, Poison_Flour and Surly like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Depeche Mode-Barrel of a Gun(remix)/Painkiller(original mix)
    The first single from the Ultra LP, this is a noisy, industrial monster! Alan Wilder's leaving definitely hurt the band quite a bit but the rest of the guys really delivered the goods here. Great vocal by Gahan who by this point had really matured into one of music's best vocalists. This track just feels slippery and dirty and leads the listener into an uncomfortable comfort. I don't know how else to describe it....it makes your skin crawl in a good way!
    "Painkiller" is an instrumental with a bit of a techno feel to it.
    [​IMG]

Poison_Flour and Surly like this.
  24. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I adore Songs of Faith and Devotion - it's probably my favorite DM album. Yes, I am admitting that I love it more than Violator or Black Celebration.

HiFi Guy 008 and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Yes on the label pix. I'm a big fan of label art both stock and custom.

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.