Where to Upgrade Analog Front End?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JJerm80, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After a long time of lurking, this is my first post here. Thanks for having me!

I'm starting to look at upgrading my analog setup, and I wanted to get some ideas as to where to start. First off, here is what I'm running:

Turntable: Micro Seiki DD-20, with original tonearm and technics headshell
    Cartridge: Shure m97xe
    Phono Preamp: TCC TC-750
    Amp: Marantz 2245
    Speakers: Polk Audio RtiA3

The phono input on the Marantz is a bit noisy, so I am running the preamp into the Aux input. The Marantz itself sounds amazing and is probably my favorite piece of equipment. But I am starting to wonder about the turntable and the preamp. Would it be worth it to change the preamp? Or I am better off going for a new table? My budget would be in the 500-600 range, all in, so where would you spend it?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Jeremy

2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

rxcory and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

In fact, I happen to have an original headshell for that table sitting around.....looks like this:
    [​IMG]

You can have it.

4. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Rebuild the phono on the Marantz. This the TCC. JICO on the M97 or another cart, altogether.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I find the phono stage and the cartridge to be the biggest areas for improvement in most system. Upgrading a table without being where you want to be in these areas offers a diminished return.

6. JJerm80

Thank you to everyone. I had been looking at the Schiit but had yet to hear one in the wild. Reviews are good and I like that you can use it with both MM and MC cartridges. As for the stylus upgrade, again, I've read good things, but it's nice to hear it here. I do love the table so I hate to walk away from it.

7. JJerm80

Awesome! Thank you so much! I don't think I have the ability yet to PM you, but I would love to make this happen and will totally kick in for the shipping or whatever. Just let me know what you need.

8. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

yeah, I think you are limited until you hit the 50 post mark or something......send me an email it's my username followed by [email protected]

While I have not heard the Mani - I have heard that TCC - I would advise you to sit down before you fall down. Schiit makes very nice stuff and you will feel it right away.

9. Given this info I'd also suggest getting the Marantz looked at and repaired before you do anything else.

10. JJerm80

I've had it looked at before. All the pots and switches have been cleaned, and the caps look pretty good. When it comes to the phono stage, i think the issue is more that it is such a high gain stage. There is some noise in it once you get the volume a little past halfway. That noise is there on other inputs but not until you get the volume to almost max. Using an external preamp into the aux eliminates that issue, as I never push the turntable to a max level.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.