Does Ringo Starr Belong in the R-N-R Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J_D__, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That is your big mistake. Ringo is not in there the second time for being a drummer. He is in there for being a band leader and recording artist.
    The fact is he is the front man in the All Star Band.

And dig this, he IS in there. It is a done deal.

2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

He is in pretty good company. A lot of artists who were from the rock era at that time were struggling to get label interest. The music industry was trying to shift away from rock music into things like grunge and new wave and metal and the 80s pop stuff, but rock artists lingered on.
    Labels weren't signing bands that were of a style that radio wasn't likely to play.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Ah, here it is another day -- and sour grapes are STILL crying about Ringo's induction (LOL! :D ).
    Eat all yer hearts out!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Joan Jett has had more hits than just those two (just saying). Not that any of this matters in this case... Jett is the embodiment of Rock And Roll... she lives sand breathes it, no compromises. You can't have a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and not have Joan Jett in there.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

To make the point, it wasn't necessary to include "Bad Reputation" in the discussion.

It was the backup plan for The Runaways nomination getting stalled. A man of the same stature in rock history, from the same era, would be considered a minor figure in the grand scheme. For point of comparison, maybe somebody like Billy Squier? Somebody who scored a few big hits, had a big album - Squier actually had a lengthier run - then seemed to disappear from the scene.

If you want to pick a woman as a point of reference instead, then why hasn't Pat Benatar even been nominated? She actually has musical talent with the voice. Although hits don't come into play for induction criteria, she had a string of singles and albums that probably rival Blondie. Then she was a cultural force. High school girls dressed and wore their hair like her before Madonna took over!

Bryan Harris likes this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Or "I Hate Myself For Loving You", or her cover of "Do You Wanna Touch Me"...
    but the thing is, it's not always all about the amount of "hits", is it? No. And if it IS, then I'd better FINALLY see the Monkees in there next year... they have been robbed. (They're long overdue - and now Davy Jones is dead).

I don't see Billy Squier as an apt comparison. Jett hasn't gone anywhere, by the way... it's not like she had one or two albums in the early '80s and then just 'disappeared'.

But I'd like to pause here a moment to reiterate that there are no solid sets of "rules" here when it comes to the RNRHOF.
    Other than having to have had your first record at least 25 years ago. We can all sit here forever saying "(blank) deserves to be included, but not (blank)."

Good point, and I also personally like Pat Benatar. It is quite odd that she has not yet been nominated (though I would bet she'll get her turn too..). Back to Joan Jett for a minute -- she also influenced a lot of girls, and also to pick up instruments and play guitar, too. I think that even though Benatar has a "better" voice, I still think Joan's voice is pure guttural ROCK; with Pat, it's more like a hot woman trying to "appear tough and rockin' ". I think on that level, Joan Jett is more the real deal.

Another thought is -- how about Suzi Quatro? We might well also wonder why she hasn't gotten in above Jett OR Benatar?Though I am a big Joan Jett fan, I have to admit that Jett took her cue from Quatro. Suzi was an idol of Joan's, who Jett sought to emulate.

Zeki likes this.
  7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

No, not as a solo artist. But hey, I didn't think that Jeff Beck should have been inducted solo. Nor do I think Jimmy Page should be in solo. Robert Plant perhaps.

JimC likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

jeff beck not in as a solo artist lmfao? please explain why. he had a huge impact on future guitar players as a solo artist

notesfrom likes this.
  9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

10. nicole21290

nicole21290 Forum Resident

Yoko: After the initial embarrassment, that how Paul is being very nice to me, he’s nice and a very, str- on the level, straight, sense, like wherever there’s something like happening at the Apple, he explains to me, as if I should know. And also whenever there’s something like they need a light man, or something like that he asks me if I know of anybody, things like that. And like I can see that he’s just now suddenly changing his attitude, like his being, he’s treating me with respect, not because it’s me, but because I belong to John. I hope that’s what it is because that would be nice. And I feel like he’s my younger brother or something like that. I’m sure that if he had been a woman or something, he would have been a great threat, because there’s something definitely very strong with me, John, and Paul. And. . .

theMess likes this.
  11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Embodiment of 80s pop, perhaps. More after rock pop music.

12. Matthew Tate

Yup thats why members of the ramones and sex pistols have played with joan. They were always chasing pop sounds

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

But Jeff just didn't have an effect on me. I bought Blow by Blow, and listened3 or 4 times, and that was it.

14. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

the rock & roll hall of fame is officially a joke

15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The promotion for this was ghastly too. Here you have Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Withers and Lou Reed getting in and the biggest deal is Ringo Starr--a person who is already in. All of this "It's Ringo" jazz is really tiresome. Of course it's Ringo, who else is it, Broderick Crawford?

I'm very sorry those other acts were overshadowed for these shenanigans.

Zep Fan likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Well luckily you don't vote for the hof inductees. To deny ge had any influence after his stint in the yard birds is silly

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not disappeared as in vanished but disappeared as in became out of style. It happened very fast with Joan. Was she even discussed by the mid 80's? Not a chance. At any point during the 90's? Then the likes of Rolling Stone will pretend that she was around the whole time and there was this pent-up demand for a comeback.

Let me share something with you. Every year, at the US Grand Prix in Austin, they organized a music festival as part of the event. That's what they do in Austin. It was wedged between Austin City Limits and the Fun Fun Fun Festival, which both attracted bigger names. Joan was the most recognizable name on the bill over the weekend. So, even with "The Runaways" movie and the RnRHOF nomination, this is how she ranks as a live performer.

Well, the early 80's were actually my high school years and there weren't any girls picking up guitars then. Small point of reference but doubt that there was much difference elsewhere. By the time this actually was happening

18. Matthew Tate

late 80's joan jett had a top 20 album that went platinum. joan also scored a top 10 hit song and a top 20 hit song. so sure was still being discussed in the early 90's since she had just come off of a hit album. jett was also a huge influence on the female punk scene from the 90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_grrrl

19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This question would be a lot easier to answer if he'd draft Green Day to be a part of his next All-Star tour and live album.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Joan Jett: not a good singer, not a good guitar player, not a good song writer.
    Unlike Ringo she didn't even get a writing credit on her hits.

By my reckoning her top contributions were reminding people to check out Tommy James and having a hit with a song that would later be used for a hot Britney video.

21. Matthew Tate

Jett has a writing credit on 7 of the 15 songs on her hits collection I have. She also has a writing credit on an alice cooper hit. Try again

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

15 hits, really? Only Crimson and R&R entered my consciousness, and I even sat through her live show once (as the price to pay for seeing Huey Lewis, Loverboy, the Kinks and Foreigner).

23. Matthew Tate

Bad reputation, cherry bomb, I hate myself for loving you, little liar, light of day, do you wanna touch me, everyday people, fake friends, dirty deeds were all top 40 hits or well known songs

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

OK, I know Do You Wanna Touch Me too, but that's cover number 3

25. Matthew Tate

I hate myself for loving you is actually her 3rd biggest hit and is cowritten by her. How many songs did elvis write?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.