Chet Atkins - My Brother Sings - RSD 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DavidFell, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Bullmoose has them for sale online.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This thread is also the reason I picked it up. I don't know any Chet Atkins, but I've heard about him for years. This will be an interesting into to his work. First, I'll need to get a record player...

DavidFell likes this.
  3. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Going to play it tomorrow!

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Nicely pressed. A little bit of surface noise (I don't have a record vac). Very flat and pressed on center. I was surprised at how good a voice Jim had.

5. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Binaural? How are the instruments mixed? Evenly spread, or heavy on one side?

6. Thanks for tip guys! Just pulled the trigger at the Sundazed site. This will be on heavy rotation at my booth at T.H.E Show.

7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Not something I'd probably ever buy but after seeing all the feedback I tried it. (My local store had three left, my guess is they hadn't sold any). Sound quality is really great. I must admit the singing style isn't exactly my cup of tea, sounds as dated as it is. The instrumental parts are well worth the price. Luckily, there's a lot of pure instrumental work and it sounds almost live. This is probably the only Chet Atkins I'll ever buy but I'm happy to have it. Definitely of demo disc quality IMO.

8. aoxomoxoa

Love this LP but mine was dished (slightly warped). Way to go Sundazed! Where did you get these pressed? United?

9. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Sundazed has excellent customer service. I'm sure they will replace it.

10. aoxomoxoa

Yeah, but it's a hassle to mail it back and wait. It plays fine. I will probably just keep it.

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've been on a major Chet Atkins kick lately, corresponding not coincidentally with my falling in love all over again with my '62 Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean guitar. I just went ahead and ordered this LP on Amazon. My local store does have it in stock, but I was able to get for $10 cheaper online, so there ya go...

Those vintage stereo Chet LPs from the '60s have remarkably rich sound, so I'm excited to hear what Kevin Gray was able to coax from those tapes.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Just saw this left in the RSD leftover bins for 50% off and grabbed it for the hell of it. Never listened to him before. Excellent!

Slightly warped but doesn't seem to have impacted the sound.

Can anyone recommend a couple of his albums I should check out?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    dasacco likes this.
  13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I just spun this again, nice Sunday morning listening, and it is one really fine sounding record.

As I listened, I was noticing the left and right channel guitar interplay and how seamless it was. Then I saw the insert that was in the jacket that I hadn't noticed was there and it talked about how Chet's guitar was wired for stereo - lower strings to the left, higher strings to the right - so it's ol' Chet playing one guitar, not two separate tracks. Boy he was good!

Anyway, highly recommended to get this one before it goes back up to $8,100!

Bidders line up for LP featuring Chet Atkins and his brother

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.