LFD LE V Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aereoplain, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chirhonix

chirhonix Forum Resident

please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would like to have a volume usable between 10 and 2 pm. I think in that range the channel balance of the volume pot should be at its best and I would have enough reserve for low volume listening.

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Low volume listening, this LFD works great at that, as good as I heard with any amp. Right now quiet music at very low volume and its working well for me.
    I find it odd that anyone should judge any component by either tech spec or "usable volume", my sole judge of any component is via the listening with other components in the chain and if possible in the room it will be used in. Then and only then should any one make the preferred choice.

I certainly understand someone wanting something different especially with different components in the chain, that's why we have so many different manufacturers, just a shame many of them concentrate on marketing and hiked prices rather than producing a working piece of class product at a very competitive price. Though we are lucky we have a few great manufactures who produce quality components for us to debate :)

raferx and MartinR like this.
  3. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

That’s great that the LFD is working for you - I’ve heard many great things about LFD integrateds over the years...

I think the thing that causes people to comment on the volume control, is the fact that how a product operates is also important. When an amp has a limited usable volume, that often means a voltage mismatch between the source and the amp. It’s a common problem, and to many users, annoying to use, as it makes it difficult to dial in a desired volume level.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Even better named Audio company than Schitt.

Low
    *****ng
    Distortion

Love 'em.

5. Gordon Johnson

Given that perfection [whatever that REALLY is] is seemingly beyond my pocket I have to say that now the LFD has settled in this past week or so and is now performing close to what it probably will do for the next 25 years I know I made a very wise choice with this amp'.

I'd happily put any other amp up against this on my set up and I'm certain that it would match or most likely out perform anything else in it's relative price range and I already know it out performs amp's at twice the price [and more if the truth be told].

Yes, it does "punch above it's weight".

Anyway, gotta fly Joni Mitchell just called round :)

raferx likes this.
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Any comparisons of LFD to the Luxman integrated amps (in particular 505u 100W)?

bhazen likes this.
  7. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I'm considering an LFD for my system. Are you still enjoying yours? Have you gotten accustomed to the volume control?

8. Gordon Johnson

I swapped the location set up of my set up, something I wanted to try as I had shorter [much older, 20 years older] LFD spiroflex speaker cable.
    The amp' sounds even better to my ears even if the actual set up location of the speakers is less than ideal now.

In short, yes. The amp' performs very, very well. And volume is not an issue. I recently had the volume control dialled to 1:00 and it is just too loud!!
    Try and get one home for a test, I'm sure you'll love it.

Only last night was I looking at the LFD Ribbon speaker cable, might well be worth my next investment but it is not cheap for 5m length at £690!!

9. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I just received a Mark V today to audition. I'm very excited. Although I don't like that flimsy-looking on/off switch. Have you ever had problems with it?

Sounds like we have similar speaker setups, as I'll also be needing some 5m wires if I do go all in for LFD.

Thank you for your swift reply!

10. Gordon Johnson

the on / off switch works just fine. I love the silence when using this :)
    i was using 5m chord cable but have always liked the spiroflex. What cable are you using now? The set up of Harbeth and LFD worked very well with the chord cable but i now know it can be improved on.
    As i want to return the set up at some point to the better placement I will need new and longer cable so will go for LFD connectors and speaker cable, as soon as I have the spare cash, lol.

11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I'm using very bargain basement speaker cable -- Belden 10 gauge from Blue Jeans Cables. On first listen last night I was not blown away like I thought I would be. But it was late and I couldn't crank it up much. In fact, it sounded eerily similar to my current CJ/Outlaw setup.

art likes this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

I was lucky in that the amp I demo'd had plenty of hours on it.
    I know from experience that this amp needs a good few hours on it to really start to show what it can do. When I got my new amp I was so disappointed in how it sounded! It took a few sessions for things to begin to settle, in fact it was xmas day when I started to hear the reason I bought the amp, something like three weeks of use!

13. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I've read that -- something like a 200 hr break in period. So did you also demo the NCSE? If so, did you notice much difference?

14. Gordon Johnson

'Fraid not.

15. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Day 2: WOW. I've never heard a unit change so much this quickly. If it gets even better with more break in, I'm in audio nirvana.

16. Gordon Johnson

ha ha, works ever so well with the Harb's does it not.
    I was listening to Martin Carthy this evening, low vol. Breathtaking vocal reproduction.
    As it settles the bass really kicks in on this amp

17. Gordon Johnson

A week or so later .......................................... ?

18. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Hey Gordon!

I actually just had the dealer drop off a new NCSE MKII on Friday along with a pair of LFD speaker cables. It's VERY good, although I know that once again I'm hearing an unbroken in unit. The immediate difference is enough to make me think I'm going to go with NCSE. Although I just read that Dr. Bews is now going to make a MKII.1 so maybe I will wait for one of these. Either way, I think I've decided to ditch my separates (and tubes) for LFD.

19. Gordon Johnson

Big move, big change! But I know where your coming from after time spent with LFD and Harbeths.

If the NCSE sounds good now then just wait for it to really sing with 60- 120 hours on it.

Keep us informed :)

20. Gordon Johnson

Rolo, what speaker cable did you borrow?

I also hear the silver reference IC are very good too. I'm looking at checking these out some time this year.

21. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Just the basic Spirolex -- 5M. I'm really blown away how much I'm enjoying just listening again!

22. Gordon Johnson

Nothing basic about that spiroflex imo, works well outside of the LFD / Harbeth combo really well too/
    It's the ribbon cable I really want to get hold of as it gets formidable comments when hooked to LFD / Harb's.

Anything really standing out from your record collection with this set up? I've not got to my Jazz records yet as I'm really stuck on British Folk at the moment when listening for pleasure :)

23. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

That's so funny because John Martyn's Grace And Danger is amazing with this combo! As for jazz, Kenny Dorham's Trompeta Toccatta just explodes out of the speakers.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Bumpish ... some Q's ...

Does LFD make an 'entry-level' integrated at the moment; failing that, what might a Mistral go for in the used market? I have some speakers now that might match up well with an LFD amp ...

25. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Just picked up an LE V+ from my dealer Gene Rubin. It is lovely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.