Songs with "ghost" musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nostaljack, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

He is credited on Shuffering And Shmiling,any others?

2. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Be clear, these are not my claims, I wasn't there, I just know what he has told me over the years. Does he exaggerate his importance to the music industry, maybe. As I have nothing to do with the world of LA recording, how can I know what does or does not go on? He's always been a straight forward guy and a good friend. If nothing else, you and your elite set of friends got a big laugh out of it. So, not so bad, eh?

No Bull likes this.
  3. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

I thought they were called "guest musicians" ;-)

If you know Ry Cooder's slide guitar sound from the late 80s, you can hear him a little deeper in the mix in the latter half of the Beach Boys' single "Kokomo".

Also, the Wallflowers have got the line "All drums played by Matt Chamberlain" in the credits to their albums "Bringing Down the Horse" and "Breach", whilst drummer Mario Calire is pictured with the rest of the band in the artwork - and credited as a band member.
    During the recording of "Bringing Down the Horse", the band was missing a few members, with just Jakob Dylan, bassist Greg Richling and keyboardist Rami Jaffee having been the band. Guitarist Michael Ward turned from hired studio guy to hired touring band member during the recording of the album, but many guitar parts were recorded by guests such as Jon Brion on "One Headlight" and Mike Campbell on "6th Avenue Heartache". Drummer Mario Calire was added to the band lineup when the album was already completed.

However, 4 years later on the "Breach" album, it was still Matt Chamberlain who recorded all the drum parts, and on the next album "Red Letter Days", there are many programmed rhythms courtesy of drum programmer Bill Appleby.
    This begs the question that if Jakob Dylan doesn't really like Mario Calire's drumming, why has he hired him in the first place?

4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Wikipedia says it was the late Carlos Vega.

Nostaljack likes this.
  5. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

If it's any consolation, I can get behind your friend's "Aerosmith" claim. Those records were extremely calculated, "Get A Grip" especially.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

Yep, that's him. I didn't think to check there.

Ed

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I think the guys in Winger did some stuff for Twisted Sister.

8. Nostaljack

If he's credited, how is he ghosting?

Ed

9. Nostaljack

I've never believed this one. All I hear is overdubbed Michael McDonald.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  10. DVEric

Well I will see him next week and I will let him know that krok2009 believes him. I'm sure he will be quite relieved.

Judge Judy likes this.
  11. Nostaljack

Another Chicago ghost:

Let's Take A Lifetime - Walt Parazaider's sax solo is played by Peter Wolf's synclavier.

Sax solo for "Get On This" is a combination of Walt (long aimless notes) and Kirk Whalum (actual solo).

Ed

12. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

According to Robin Scott David Bowie provides handclaps on M's Moonlight And Muzak, the follow up single to Pop Muzik. Just about feasible, they were acquaintances on the late 60s/early 70s acoustic singer-songwriter scene and I think the M album New York London Paris Munich was recorded at Mountain Studios in Montreaux where Bowie recorded too.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It also had Jim Keltner on drums and I believe Van Dyke Parks was involved in the arrangement.

14. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

You are right, but the single is credited to "The Beatles (with Billy Preston)"

That wouldn't qualify as a "ghost" musician, would it?

15. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

He probably didn't get the right groove for the song as intended by Waters.

Charlie Watts couln't get the right groove for "You can't always get what you want" and was replaced by Jimmy Miller. Its not always a matter of technical proficiency but rather of getting a particular "feel" for the song.

squittolo and kevywevy like this.
  16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Charlie Chan on Jazz at Mazzy Hall

spindly and WayOutWardell like this.
  17. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Yes. Watts admitted he couldn't get the right "groove" in an interview.

Actually, the drumming in the studio version is far more "funky" than the live versions recorded by Watts ever since.

18. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Nice to know. At the time I thought that the Rockwell tune sounded so much like someone aping Michael Jackson...

Lost In The Flood and Slokes like this.
  19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I'm confused. You aren't the one that claimed your friend played most of Kurt Cobain's parts on "In Utero" here?

Ah, trolling. I think I understand now.

krock2009 likes this.
  20. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Apparently the credits for the first Funkadelic album are completely wrong. Supposedly it was their then current touring band.

21. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Especially given the fact the Werman thought Too Fast for Love was a sloppy record before he produced the Crue's next three albums. On the other hand, I can't imagine a studio musician recorded the guitars on Shout at the Devil, especially not with that tone.

22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

As far as I know, Mick Mars played his own parts on the Crue albums. There have been rumours that a session player was brought in to play bass on Shout At The Devil.

Zoot Marimba and rodentdog like this.
  23. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Whenever I saw Carlos Guitarlos in credits I always assumed it was someone - maybe even Santana - doing sessions under an assumed name to get around record company restrictions, but apparently it's an actual guy.

24. thos

thos Forum Resident

Cool. I'm pretty sure he plays on the "No Agreement" album, I haven't seen a credit, but read about it and recognized his sound. I don't have the original versions of the Fela records. But it's possible he's credited somewhere.

25. DVEric

I'm not trolling, if someone disagrees with me and wants to laugh at me, I say more power to you. Laughter is hardly the worst thing that can come from a discussion. No one laughs harder at themself than I do. I stated at the very beginning: "no one will believe me." Some do, some don't. I'm not going to drag out an argument on the things that my friend told me over the years. Anyone who hears anacdotle information SHOULD be skeptical. By all means, I didn't mean to pass the buck. If there are spears to be thrown, please, aim them at me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.