What the heck happened to Axl Rose? Anyone else have a fall from grace this bad??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He sounds decently similar to how he used to. Can't get up as high as before and doesn't really have the same energy and sounds kind of methodical rather than unrestrained, though. To be expected--he's not 25 anymore.

He sure looks weird, though, what little I can see of his face behind the sunglasses and hat. Bad plastic surgery?

2. OK, not plastic surgery. Just too many calories and too little exercise.

[​IMG]

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I'm referring to, I believe, a November 2011 taping which had Eddie Trunk and one of the original GnR members and possibly others on the panel. Axl had a ton of jewelry on (big rings) and they were all talking and watching a screen of some recent live GnR performances. I did not mean they were actually watching a live GnR show. This was a long time ago so I can't remember all the details. It was more interesting listening to Axl speak than to hear their music.

4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I think his voice sounds pretty damn good. It's a lot better than Geddy Lee's. (In relation to their earlier voices)

5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Iggy Pop took a pretty huge nosedive and drugs turned him into one of the greatest wastebuckets in rock and roll. Fortunately he revitalized himself with a comeback five years later, with two solo albums that many consider to be the highlight of his career.

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Maybe Bolan would have had a comeback, maybe he would have been a nostalgia/oldies act. The last album wasn't really a return to form.

7. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Ah, Stevie. Always sounded like a bleating goat, now a gravel-voiced goat.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He's where he belongs. To me, his voice is like fingers on a blackboard.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He lost his bandanna? :)

10. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

That bandanna holds his wig in place.

11. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Speaking of Mickey Mouse, I remember seeing an AC/DC video, Thunderstruck I think, and thinking that Johnson’s voice sounded like Donald Duck. I was thinking – his voice is done, that’s it. That was what? 25 years ago. Nostradamus I’m not.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. fateicon

fateicon Forum Resident

Axl's voice sounded all rough and hoarse with the original band unless he was singing low and clean. As a hard rock singer myself, I can say that a lot of these GNR songs are what I call stamina eaters. Try something like Perfect Crime. Your voice will go hoarse pretty quick. Now factor in not so perfect monitor situations, lack of sleep, repeated shows on a tour, alcohol, etc, etc and that's how you end up with Axl sounding rough all the time. High bpm songs of this nature are a lot more draining than say Double Talkin Jive or So Fine. Axl is actually able to do more live since coming back in 2000. He seems to focus on using more orthodox singing technique instead of trying to shout or be abrasive. The Chi Dem stuff usually sounds pretty close to the studio. Has anyone ever heard Axl duplicate the Appetite studio performances at a live show?

You guys should read the thread on the gnrtruth board about Brain Mantia on the Chris Jericho podcast. He was saying something about Buckethead going MIA and GNR lawyers having to track him down. I just wish Axl would get some more albums out. We end up waiting forever for Chi Dem and looks like it will be almost another 8 years from 2008 for the followup. Like a lot of classic bands, GNR isn't releasing much material and is instead just touring over and over. That seems to be the business model nowadays because the average person only cares about nostalgia. At least Chi Dem had a dynamic mastering with diverse, high quality material that wasn't too far removed from the spirit of UYI. I would bet the unreleased new songs are of similar quality. Let's hope no one talks Axl into nuking them into oblivion when they do get released.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think next year we will get some new GNR material

14. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

If Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street are how a fall from grace sounds then i'd wish everybody (and their mother) would fall from grace ASAP ;)

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

16. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

He can't be that hard to find. (Who are you looking for? A guy with a white mask and a KFC bucket on his head.)

Lost In The Flood and botley like this.
  17. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Yes, he literally seemed to disappear off the face of the planet.

bob60 and FastForward like this.
  18. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Steve Whiteman from Kix. That guy is still on top of his game! He's in his mid 50s I believe...

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

You are still confused. They do not show "live" performances (other than the guitarists/drummers thing playing riffs) on TMS because they cannot afford to do so. If they play more than 9 seconds of ANY released song, then the cash register rings. So they don't. They had to pay over $3000 for the one episode where a mariachi band played & sang "Happy Birthday" in Spanish to Zakk Wylde. So while it was a long time ago (as you say "2011") and you cannot remember all the details, yet you clearly remember how bad Axls voice was on the exact song they showed? You seem to think that Axl and another original GNR member has appeared on TMS together. This did not happen.

I wish more people could have seen the Axl that appeared on Jimmy Kimmel a few years ago. It shows him in a different light and dispels many of the rumors and myths about him as simply garbage.

20. Is that Kid Rock's dad?

I think he sounds pretty good. It's not like he was ever a velvet-voiced crooner ...

21. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Axl is bipolar, drugs make you gainweight leave him alone!!

Paulwalrus likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

He is on some meds from what I've heard

23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Macca

24. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

My dogs sound better than Geddy Lee.

Classicolin likes this.
  25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I am a big GN'R fan, though I must be honest in that I haven't paid much attention the last year or two. It's just not an interesting band right now, what with the lack of new material and more important the lack of drive to write and get new music released.

I've seen Axl's band maybe five times and while it's definitely not the real GN'R, they put on a great show. They usually play for over 2 hours and say what you want about him, but Axl doesn't hold anything back. I got so spoiled seeing these long sets that when I went to see Van Halen a few years back and they barely played 1.5 hours, well I could hardly believe it. And sorry but DLR is like a cartoon on stage. I like VH but they were never a favorite of mine so perhaps I am biased.

I wouldn't hesitate seeing GN'R. The band is always on point, although some of them are better than others. They were more interesting with Finck and Buckethead. Axl is hit and miss. He may sing well, or not. He needs to train - get physically in shape. If he did he'd be fine but he clearly doesn't before each tour.

Here he is to start the 2009/10 tour. He sounds great here and looks pretty fit. He was also in good shape for the 2006 tour.

And here he is in his prime. The best he has ever looked/sounded in my opinion. Again, say what you want about him, but he was/is a great frontman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11GyQ7iJVHM

Paulwalrus and enro99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.