Spica TC-60's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dmann201, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else running these speakers? I've been playing them for a few years now and they have a huge soundstage and great balance and clarity that is not typically found in their price range. They have always struck me as a more dynamic and clear version of Vandersteen 2C series. What do you guys think?

2. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

I have their predecessor, the TC-50s, and they're still my daily drivers (so to speak.)

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Had the 50's for years sold them a couple of years ago. They are a great monitor.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

They imaged better than any other speaker I've ever owned. Even better than the Thiels that ultimately replaced them (after an intervening pair).

5. Back in the day (ie, about 25 years ago) I had wanted to audition TC-50's but I couldn't find a dealer close to me. Then, suddenly, Spica went out of business and I lost my chance--or so I thought!

This thread caused me to investigate the TC-60's and now I am thrilled to know that Spica is back in business. Maybe I'll be able to audition some Spica's after all!

Whoops, just checked the date of the Stereophile article I was reading about the "revitalized Spica." Although it was "posted" in 2007, upon finer inspection, the article was written in 1994. I guess Spica is still out of business. Drats!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, out of business, and replacement drivers were impossible to find. I used Spica's TC-60s throughout the early 1990s in my office and I always really liked them.

7. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I've always been tempted to take a flyer on a pair; but somebody told me that if you stood up while listening, you'd get seared by the direct beam of the tweeters!

Is this, in fact, true?

Edit: this was in reference to TC-50's.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I kinda wish I had bought a pair of the Spica Angelus floorstanders when they were available. I auditioned a pair and they were tremendous.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No.

I hate bright speakers and I never found the TC50 bright.

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

There's a pair available near me, $300 with stands. I may go for 'em.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Do you have a link? The TC-50s came in two designs.

EDITED

bhazen likes this.
  12. bhazen

Its in the Seattle Craigslist. (Don't know how to copy links on this phone.) Small square hole around the tweeter.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wait!! I messed up that post; its been so long. here is the right info as I wrote it years back

After running through about nine pairs of speakers, my TC-50 settled in as my main speaker for a very long time. I love them to death. No, don't expect towering bass. A sub is a must. Set up isextremely critical. Download a copy of the owners manual from the web, it's around. Equilateral triangle set up, toed in just right and !POW! they come alive with 3D imaging. Took me three days to get mine perfect the first time, then ten minutes after that -- you learn the secret. Toe them in so you can just see a 2-3 inches of the inside panel of the speakers, a slice of the inside panel. They go SO much bigger than any LS3-5A. The TC-50 is a small speaker that can image huge! The best one's to have are the older TC-50s. They ran out of the original tweeters around the 7,000 serial number. You can tell by the cut out on the fabric baffle on front. If the cutout is a long cut out, those are the good, older ones. If it is a small square, those are the newer less desirable model. I know advance have been made, but with the right set up, these speakers do magic.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/anyone-ever-run-spica-tc-50s.298774/

Dino likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wait see above post!! I got it backwards in that earlier post I deleted. They shrank the hole on the later models to try and compensate for the peak with the newer models.

Dino and bhazen like this.
  15. bhazen

Ah. Thank you for that information Chadbang. You saved me $300 (perhaps!)

Maybe I'll wait for an earlier pair (or maybe the TC-60's; more bass with a bigger box?)

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've another who's always been interested in the Spica line.
    There are three pairs of the Angelus on ebay now. It's all a matter of taste but I always considered the Angelus one of the ugliest speakers made.

There is also a pair of the 50s listed on USaudiomart with stands. They are located in WA. I have a pair of identical looking stands as the ones in the listing. Not sure of the brand but when filled with sand, those stands are exceptionally stable, and easy to adjust.

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The Angelus had a unique shape, that's for sure. Sort of a bow-tie contour with the widening slope of the base down to the bottom where it stood on the floor. Back when I auditioned them they were the most stable speaker imaginable with that contour. That seemed like a big plus to me at the time because I had a toddler running around, and a rambunctious cat that had just knocked over one of my speakers (Dahlquist DQ-10s).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    timind likes this.
  18. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Just curious-any specific reason they went out of business? Does anybody know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.