The disappearance of DVD booklets/inserts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guppy270, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I was first buying DVDs, almost all of them came with a booklet in the jewel case---often with facts about the movie, cast list, etc, or at the least a listing of all the DVD chapters.

Now almost every DVD has just a one-page insert, which usually just duplicate the cover on one side, with the other being blank or an ad.

I can't recall.....about when did DVDs lose their inserts? Does anyone miss the chapter listings or were they superfluous anyway~?

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I would say they had almost completely dried up seven or eight years ago. With rare exceptions, the only inserts I have in post-2007 DVDs are download cards and ads for blu-ray.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I suppose they were kind of superfluous anyway - you can always hit the Menu button to look at the chapter listings - but I kinda miss that attention to packaging. Most music related DVD's and BD's still seem to come with booklets though.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

And the cases are flimsier. Race to the bottom sort of world.

Vidiot and SMcFarlane like this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I rarely looked at them, even the ones that Criterion still includes that have articles and other information on them. You're right though, even though I mostly buy Blu-ray now the packaging is extremely thin and non-existent. They might as well start selling them in paper sleeves.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Masters of Cinema produce the best booklets, IMO, followed by Criterion. In-depth essays and visual material that adds to the background and contextual knowledge of the films.

moops likes this.
  7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Hm, I wonder if they're priming us for the disappearance of physical media.

Vidiot and John B Good like this.
  8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I almost destroyed one just by opening it a couple of weeks ago. I never understood why DVD's were packaged in such large cases, always thought they shouldve just used standard jewel cases.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess originally to clearly distinguish them from cds, but I think there was a better way than that very tall format.

music4life likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Back in 1997 when DVDs first came on the market, they were released in three different cases; the black cases, the Warner Bros. "snap" cases, and jewel cases, which I think were used by Universal. If I remember correctly, the jewel cases didn't last long as they were had to merchandise mixed in with the other cases.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes! especially those cut out ones!
    horrible!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    93curr and John B Good like this.
  12. Michael

I'd say to differentiate from CDs...

13. Michael

years ago...now we get Ultraviolet insert numbers for downloads...although Criterion has artwork booklets in their
    releases.

14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Unlike many folks here, I've never really disliked digipaks for CDs, but I absolutely hated their DVD equivalent, the Warner snap cases. It's too bad that standard-width Amaray cases became the de facto standard for DVDs instead of slimline cases - you don't really appreciate how much less bulky slimline cases are until you start running out of available storage space for discs.

15. Michael

as long as those clear Scanvo clear DVD SLIM cases that deposit gooey, slimy residue onto your precious DVD collection...I've had tons of TV Show DVDs plagued by this crap!

16. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think it's kind of funny that they switched over to the recyclable cases. It's like they know our landfills will be full of DVDs in another decade.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

how sad...gotta love those studios!

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I couldn't care less about the chapter listings, but it was always nice to open a DVD and find a nice-looking booklet with photos, trivia, or other movie info.

Aside from Criterion, most companies are worthless these days as far as packaging is concerned.

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Has there ever been a relatively comprehensive list compiled of DVDs packaged in Scanavo cases that have displayed this problem? I've looked for such a list before but have only found multiple threads on various forums about this issue.

Michael likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

As I recall it was Vidmark who were the first to just print the chapter titles on the back cover and leave out the booklet. That was around 2000, maybe 2001? Then everybody else followed suit.

By the time HD-DVD and BD came out, the game was up. The packaging just got cheaper and cheaper.

If there's no booklet any more, why use the plastic cases at all??!! We need a mini-LP revolution for DVDs and BDs like they had for CDs in Japan. But, you know, a mini-LaserDisc packaging.

21. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever had that problem. Can you list some shows with that issue?

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

sounds like

23. Michael

I never found one unfortunately...
    I have an idea...start a thread and we all can add our affected DVDs!

24. Michael

more room for artwork in the beginning when they aimed to please with the "new" DVD...

25. moops

moops Senior Member

Masters Of Cinema, Criterion and Arrow Films still give you quality booklets.

stepeanut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.