A reason for giving up on physical media...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by philly67, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

See that little half-moon crack on my prized Gregg Allman-One More Time Anthology...someway, somehow, i pulled this out of my car (didn't come into it like this) SOME one must have broken it or something and nicely put the falling apart case together enough so i wouldn't notice it til later. Arrgh, whatever!! But seriously, now i got to go and find & buy this thing AGAIN?!?!? Maybe ripping the rarer stuff wouldn't be such a bad idea, man, this sucks! (No one has a disc 1 they want to sell do they??!)(Didn't think so!)

rstamberg and Smiths22 like this.
  2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

If someone did the same thing to your car, would you give up driving? You can lose all your music in a hard drive disaster.

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, i suffer from the same, its called obsessive compulsive disorder.

I'm tired of physical media a little bit too because even when you buy a brand new cd, chances are, with the manufacturing quality crisis going on, that you are gonna end with a brand new scratched cd out of the package...

4. philly67

True, true...i'm more venting than anything else. The thought of ripping my collection makes me feel 10,000x worse than seeing that crack...

...i like the simplicity of just pulling a cd out and sitting down and listening to it rather than having thousands of songs at my fingertips and continually thinking of what i'm going to play next rather than listening to what's whirling now.

ugh...

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I understand, and I don't lend out my music.

rstamberg and vinyl diehard like this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Put the music on. Put away all your devices and listen. Simple.

Zeki likes this.
  7. philly67

It took me a longer than it should have to get there, but that pretty well sums it up!

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I think you need to move to a better neighborhood or find a different set of people to hang out with.

Holy Diver and Stallings like this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

I agree it CAN be overwhelming having thousands of songs at your fingertips constantly, and spend more time wondering what to play than actually listening to music. I treat it different. I think of it as a very convenient replacement for having to go get a physical disc. I determine the album I want to play, queue it up then leave it alone. Don t touch your iPhone, iPad or whatever controls your digital. Just sit there, just like the cd is physically there and enjoy. Assuming you have a transport you are happy with and you are using lossless encoding there should not really be any audible difference.

pscreed and Vidiot like this.
  10. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

C'est la vie. If it makes you feel any better, I elbowed my copy of After Bathing At Baster's last night, putting a huge crack across the front of the case. I'm still mad at myself.

Now think about how a digital media player might fair going through that fiasco...

Edit: Then maybe go listen to some Neil Young (& Crazy Horse).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I feel for you. I had something similar happen a few weeks ago and I have no idea how it happened.

Fortunately it was easy and cheap to replace. And on the flipside, in all my years of owning CDs, this is the first time it has ever happened. And I've been buying CDs since the mid eighties.

12. moops

moops Senior Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but it appears from your photo that you just need to look after your discs better ?
    You have the playing surface of disc 2 laying unprotected on the table, and I never play an original copy of anything in my car, that's what CD-Rs are for.
    Just sayin ..... :shrug:

Jonboy, RogerB, JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  13. Joey_Corleone

Back in the day when everybody carried CD's in the car I had many titles that were more or less permanently in the car that developed some weird "crystallization" on them. Hard to describe but like physical blemishes that rendered many of them impossible to accurately rip. I always assumed it may have been due to weather/moisture. Regardless, I have a bunch that were permanently damaged that way from when I was a teenager

Also, this was before I learned to be more careful with my music : )

14. philly67

Hah, i might take it the wrong way if i got the discs in superminty condition to begin with! (scored them 3-4 years ago from an Amazon seller) Made a small list of "suspects" to question in the coming days. And, yeah, i used to do the CDr route, but sometimes you just grab something to go, ya know?!?! I really want to know how that crack happened more than anything, this is the first time this has happened to any disc i've had. Some of the ol' bootlegs from the early 90's have gotten disc rot, but that's been about it as far as damage to any of my stuff.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never loan out your CDs, make a CDR copy for the car, enjoy your CD at home...rest the master until you need it.
    Works for me as it has for many years...

RogerB, vinyl diehard, zen and 6 others like this.
  16. moops

moops Senior Member

Cool, sorry I wasn't meaning to offend ...... have you rounded up a list of suspects yet, are you the only person who uses that disc ?

Steel Horse likes this.
  17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have tons of LPs and CDs and I rarely have problems with damage. I don't loan my music and I treat my CDs with the same careful handling that I do with my LPs.

Keep your CDs out of your car for starters Also, don't loan your CDs to friends who aren't picky and careful with their own disks (CD or LP).

Scott

18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I always burn backup disks and use them in the car. I never take the disk itself into the car.

19. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah, I carried CDs in the car for a couple of years until I got my first CD burner, back in '96. After that, it was always CD-Rs in the car. By about 2003 or 2004, I bought a new car stereo that had a USB connector, so I could plug in an iPod. Ever since, I've just had a "car iPod" on which I keep whatever I want to listen to for a couple of months. I swap out what's on the iPod at least three or four times a year, so there's fresh stuff on there most of the time.

While I'll never give up physical media, I almost never play CDs or LPs anymore. Much of what I listen to frequently has been ripped using a lossless encoder, and I can play it anywhere in the house with our Apple TVs connected via HDMI to receivers in a couple of rooms. There seems to be no downside to having everything digitized and easily accessible, except the occasional inability to decide what to listen to. That's what album shuffle is for.

JeffMo and drasil like this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Oh wow. So you mean that those sun visor CD holders wasn't such a great idea, huh? I mean those CDs really do a great job of blocking out the sun on bright sunny day if you position the visor just right. :laugh:

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

[​IMG]

21. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

You know it isn't one thing or the other, you can do both? How about ripping the CDs and still using them? Best of both worlds? :cool:

JeffMo and Starwanderer like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I do still own the physical discs, but I'd much rather play the digital files because it takes zero trouble. No sonic compromises at all providing it's a perfect lossless rip.

23. Joey_Corleone

Exactly.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

I still use physical media because I'm not at the point, yet, where I can trust myself to just listen; I like to feel as if I'm doing something… Also, the packaging can be nice…

That being said, I shouldn't be trusted with my own LPs; I was listening to my dad's copy of Blonde on Blonde… By way of MoFi… and dropped the first disc; my first thought was "My dad's going to kill me!" Thankfully, it played through fine… Which is more than I can say about the first disc of SWANS' The Seer when the same thing happened to that one.

25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I've always used CDR backups in cars. Other than a few CDs I picked up at garage sales for 50 cents.

If a CD starts skipping or stuttering there is a chance I might be able to spot the problem and correct it.
    If that happens on a hard drive.... its' toast.

Blue Cactus and ksmitty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.