Dylan The Basement Tape - RSD 15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviathan, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll be absolutely fascinated to hear this, particularly since - as I related early in the lengthy basement tapes thread - that this was the originally intended presentation of these recordings. In turn, this was also, I believe, the primary reason for Garth's original "twin-track" strategy of capturing the recordings to tape - to provide flexibility for the intended mixdown to mono. And I'm surprised if not blown away that the original mono compilation tape even still exists and is usable at this late point in time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    slane and DeeThomaz like this.
  2. Jacktherabbit

Jacktherabbit Forum Resident

Do you still have this offer? I'm from barcelona,spain, and I'm a Bob Dylan collector. Thanks for your reply.

3. Jacktherabbit

Hi leviathan, I'm interested in your offer, my mail is [email protected], please write me if your copy is still available, thanks

4. Jacktherabbit

Do you still have this offer? i'm really interested...Please write me at [email protected]..thanks

5. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, it's not for sale

6. Spikes

Spikes Forum Resident

I picked up the pink 200g version yesterday. I was very impressed by the sound of it; so much even I forgot the price of the album. It comes highly recommended, but will probably rocket in price anytime soon.

7. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Haven't seen that info posted anywhere. Send a link if you have it. I'm guessing it's just the tracks from the official release converted to mono. It does sound good.

kinkling likes this.
  8. justplainatom

justplainatom Well-Known Member

Sold. Thanks for all who were interested.

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Jack, mr. scratchy esq and asdf35 like this.
  10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Tell me more about the sound, pleasssseeeee!

Ha ha, I'm anxiously debating paying too much for one at ebay.
    Looking for either a glowing sound review or a negative review to sway me.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I haven't heard it, but I've read nothing but positive reviews so far. That was enough for me to take the plunge.

asdf35 likes this.
  12. Thanks for the link - I just snagged one too!

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I just got one myself. There may be 2 left from this seller.
    Although still expensive, this is actually an honest price.
    The 180-grams were $39 on RSD.

I was looking at a 130-gram for $39 yesterday, those sold for $24 originally.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  14. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

The 200g sounds incredible. It's remarkably warm and dead-quiet. Unfortunately I have no other Basement Tape pressings to compare it with, so take both of those comments with a 200g grain of salt. My only complaint is a faint amount of feedback present in "Any Day Now" or "Too Much of Nothing." I can't remember which track it is, but there is about 5-10 seconds of massive microphone or rectifier feedback at the beginning of the recording.

"Yea! Heavy and a Bottle of Bread" was insanely engaging. I also found "If Your Memory Serves You Well" moving. I listened to these 2 tracks a few additional times before flipping the LP. Nothing really blew me away on Side 2.

I'd be curious to A/B this with the Mofi release. (Are these even the same takes/recordings?)

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Way to use titles from the tape logs! Can I take it this is how "I Shall Be Released" and 'This Wheel's On Fire" are listed on the RSD LP?

16. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

All Gone
    All Gone

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is the big question.

I think the *concept* of a re-creation of the acetate straight from the original tape is pretty enticing. I'm not sure if it would have any practical advantage over just taking the masters from the recent CD box and collapsing them to mono, but it would at least keep it conceptually unique.

As it stands, the acetate is a fascinating historical artifact. Both because, as you said, it reflects "the originally intended presentation of these recordings" but also because it seems to perfectly nail down (at least in my opinion) all the best takes of the various songs (something both the '75 LP and the 2CD Bootleg Series sets both fail to accomplish). In many ways, it really is the "Great Lost Bob Dylan Album."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    poolie, HominyRhodes and APH like this.
  18. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

It's listed as "355 - If Your Memory Serves You Well (This Wheel's On Fire)" and "358 - Any Day Now (I shall be released)" respectively.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. Not intended in any way to be a regular LP release, but I agree - the 14-track acetate as assembled is not only "The Great Lost Bob Dylan Album", but perhaps the man's greatest work (and that's saying something!).

The practical advantage of having the original mono demo available is as such - all tracks are clean folddowns from the original two-tracks; whereas a mono fold from the recent CD box in most cases would not be. The volume of the parts in each channel has already been altered via the stereo panning done for this set - in most cases (as detailed earlier in the Basement thread) a fairly wide-panned left channel and very narrow right. So I would expect there to be noticeable sonic differences between folddowns of these and the original mono acetate tape.

C6H12O6 and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I know there were several people (in a thread I now can't find) who made their own mono playlist of the 14 song acetate from the 6cd stereo set using Audacity. Interested to hear if any bought the new LP and recognize a difference.

21. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Sound-wise and entertainment-wise, I found this album to be a very enjoyable listen.

One thing that struck me 'tho, considering its provenance as a publishing demo: the idea of him presenting these songs for other bands to record, what with the off-the-cuff, stream-of consciousness lyrics -many of them silly in the extreme, seems to me akin to a practical joke.

cc-- likes this.
  22. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

23. Just got to listen to my copy and it sounds awesome- great pressing too. FWIW I'd say this release is essential for Dylan fans - love the mono mix and the sequencing is much better than the Raw lp box . I just wish they released the whole 6 cd set on vinyl...

williwoods likes this.
  24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Got one and I'm playing it now.

The bass is back, baby! You can follow Danko's loping lines the whole time.
    Especially Side 1. That was one of the things the Big Box sorta sacrificed in the mix.

Matter of fact, I'm bumping along to the bass as the main feature,
    with Dylan's country surrealism and the organ/drums/guitar surfing the basswaves.

Also, something NEW on the vinyl...Bob's spoken intro "if your memory serves you well"
    at the intro to "Wheels On Fire." That's not on the 6cd box, though it is found on various
    unofficial versions. Welcome home, edited chatter.

I got a 180gram at a "fair" price of $46 total. Not exactly happy about that,
    this should be widely available for about $20, IMO.
    It's not like they spent any dough on the artwork!

25. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Given the frenzy and in depth analysis and billions of bytes expended on discussion of every Dylan release, I'm amazed this thread is only two pages and 48 replies :)

Particularly given the significance of this release. Assuming as I'm suspecting from the description of the sound by a previous poster that high resolution digital files were used for this. Which of course were not for the official bootleg series release, that was low resolution.

Mine will be here in a few days. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.