Most underrated Rolling Stones album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Bigger Bang should have been a monster album, the songs and the guitar licks on it are great. But it was so horribly produced it is nearly unlistenable.

Nielsoe likes this.
  2. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Yes and quite often the songs will have a great chorus, or a great hook in the verse, or some great guitar licks...but not much else in the rest of the song. Maybe a little bit (or a lot) of judicious editing could have produced a much better album.

Just an opinion.

3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I thought everything about it is perfect except the post production which squashed the life out of it and sent it into irritating distortion.
    Had those songs been mixed and mastered like Black and Blue it would have been one killer album.

Nielsoe likes this.
  4. Dave Hoos

I agree with the production, but I do honestly think that if they had have carefully turned roughly 12 songs into 6 - to go with the 4 or 5 that are just fine - then they would have a killer 10-11 song album, that goes for around 40 minutes.

In my opinion, Voodoo Lounge has about 5 songs too many as well...but it's a much better album.

5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

You could be right, but it is really hard to tell with the low fidelity quality of the release. The weakest songs on the album might sound killer in high fidelity.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  6. Dave Hoos

To me, the best songs on the album are, "Let Me Down Slow", "Back Of My Hand" and "Biggest Mistake". The rest of it is full of some really catchy melodies, some nice guitar licks and some verses with really good hooks. Unfortunately, they're spread too thinly across the remaining 13 songs. If they had have been spread across only 7 or 8 songs instead, well.....

7. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

"Black and Blue". I'm one of those who just loves albums that are not hallmarks of a career, but just have a crisp sound and guitar work that does not sound buffered or polished. Just clean phrasing , great changes, and strong fills. "Hand of Fate" is one of my favorites. The fact that Wayne Perkins is on a lot of this one (sometimes called the new guitar player auditions), it's just very unique. HOF sounds different than anything they have done. Over the years Mick and Keef have been intentionally cagey about who played on what track. HOF is pure Perkins. And he would have gotten the gig were it not for that last Faces Tour imploding, and then Keef preferring a mate as opposed to a polished session pro from the South.

8. MSG 1979

MSG 1979 Forum Resident

Yeppers. Thank you Wayne Perkins.

sami likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Steel Wheels

mbrownp1 likes this.
  10. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

To me Stones albums almost without exception have their share of filler. That's one big thing that separates the Beatles and Stones -- not that the Fabs didn't have their weak cuts too. Bigger Bang is special to me in that it came so late in the game and was better than it had to be.

11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Well said Sir(s)!

12. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Tattoo You. Minus the overplayed "Start Me Up" it is a fantastic album.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Their Satanic Majesties Request, for me. Great, great songs. 2000 man, She's a Rainbow, all great. Never played on the radio.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cant beat Jaggers voice on that early early stuff can you? Sure, it wasnt really "Stones" as far as songs go, but noone sounded hungrier and leaner than these guys than on those first couple of albums. Yet most of the public having only the GHs albums know very little of this material.

Dave Hoos, Jackson and sami like this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Great to see Emotional Rescue and Black & Blue getting some love, but I would add Undercover to the mix. The second to last album with Bill and, for me, their last truly good studio album.

Prophetzong likes this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

Third to last (Dirty Work & Steel Wheels followed...)

17. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Are Black and Blue or Voodoo Lounge underrated? If so, those.

Oh, and the very first album. Is that underrated? Might be my favorite Stones record of all time. I ask if they're underrated because outside of the quartet of Let It Bleed to Exile, and Some Girls, I'm not really aware of which albums are rated higher than others by Stones fans.

18. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Goat's Head Soup
    Emotional Rescue
    Undercover

Side 2 of Tattoo You.
    Side 2 of Steel Wheels

19. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Between the Buttons

20. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Another vote for Bridges here, at least as their most underrated ' modern-day' album...

bonus likes this.
  21. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Emotional Rescue is FAR from their worst LP. The only tracks I tend to skip are "Indian Girl" and "All About You," but even those have grown on me. I've loved it since 1980 and I think it's only improved with age.

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Ultimate Classic Rock ranked the Stones albums.

The top 12 (in order) were Exile, Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, Some Girls, Between the Buttons, Aftermath, Out of our heads, Rolling Stones Now, England's Newest Hitmakers, Goats Head Soup, and Tattoo You.

There is a separate thread on this.

My vote for most underated would therefore go to Tattoo You. It's the first of the 24 or so studio albums I would have placed higher than it is. For me it would be up there in the top 6 with Some Girls after the classic top 4.

bagofsoup likes this.
  23. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

With very very few exceptions, I think the ideal length for an album is 40-45 minutes. The CD era has largely reduced the ability for artists to put out a consistently great piece of work as an album.

Jonboy likes this.
  24. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

It's only rock n roll...."Time waits for no one" is a great and almost unknown song. "Fingerprint file" sounds like nothing they've done before and very dark. "if you really want to be my friend" is a nice song too. An album to listen on a cloudy and cold afternoon.

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

:thumbsdow

johnnybrum and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.