Mapleshade Anti-static brush. I wish I bought one a long time ago!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Ballew, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Ballew

Andrew Ballew Member Thread Starter

STATIC ! I have been fighting static ever since I re-entered the vinyl economy back in February. I bought a Rega RP3, which I like very much, but have really had no luck in getting rid of those frequent, loud jarring pops from static discharge. It has really detracted from my listening experience in a major way.

I have replaced the stock mat with a cork mat, I have bought a Milty Zerostat gun, I have tried anti-static sprays on the back of my mat, on the floor where my walking path to and from the table is. I have tried steam cleaning my vinyl. I have a Record Doctor vacuum cleaner as well... nada. Still have a problem.

I finally bought this grounded Maple Shade brush. It looks like it might fall apart at any moment. It is a bit cumbersome in use. All that aside, the bottom line is IT WORKS.

My vinyl is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter now. Finally enjoying the analog experience and not cringing every 20 seconds!

Sailfree and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. Andrew Ballew

Andrew Ballew Member Thread Starter

And finally my Turntable is getting more listening that my iFi iDSD Micro DAC. One helluva DAC, especially for the price. But I am an analog guy at heart, and finally I am realizing more of my 'table's potential.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I have the same brush, bought it after somebody I know recommended it. Can't say it does or doesn't remove static though. I still have static, just don't know how bad it would be if I didn't use it.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Easy; just don't use it and you'll know. My bet is that if you use a traditional wet brush ala Discwasher, you'd have at least as good performance if not better in reducing static. It can be of some benefit to have a ground point on your stand where you can discharge yourself before touching the equipment after walking across some rugs in a dry room. The best result will be by controlling the humidity so that it doesn't fall below 40% and you'll never have a bad static problem to begin with.
    -Bill

5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

You need to ensure that the grounding cable is attached to the brush and then connected to a good house ground (not the rack unless it is grounded) for it to work at its best.

6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Lightly wiping your record before play with a USED Bounce brand clothes dryer fabric softener sheet wool eliminate static and will not harm your records. If you do laundry, try this FREE no fuss solution, it works! Just never use the sheet right out of the box, it must run through the drying process to eliminate the chemicals and soften up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.