Here's my review of the $499 iFi iDSD Micro...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Good to know. I checked the review, which was in Hi Fi News (and by Andrew Everard coincidentally) and it was the iFi Nano DSD that's reviewed. No link alas, it's this month's issue. One's good, the other less so...horses for courses methinks. That said, would be interested to read another review of the Nano if you or Lee get one in.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Thanks. That explains it. The Nano is a definite step down from the Micro, but still a class leader at its price point IMO.

3. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Ifi Micro iDSD with the built-in DAC on the Oppo 103? They're both on the same price point.

Thank you.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984 New Member

While listening to the music via headphones port and slowly decreasing the volume level on IDSD you can notice that sound in the right ear disappears first and then only left. It is sensible only at low volume levels. Then after you switch device on and turning volume up you can notice that sound in the left year appear first (like starts to sound louder) and then right and left gets equal.

Have you ever paid attention on that?

Thank you,

5. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

This has been noticed by others and documented over at Head-Fi. The workaround seems to be turning down the gain (with the switch on the side) or attenuating the signal digitally before it hits the Micro. I've only ever noticed it on extremely peak-limited source material with low impedance cans. Once the volume knob gets past 8 o'clock, no issues.

6. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member

It's got a mini stereo input jack which allows it to function as a straight up headphone amp.

Shawn likes this.
  7. Thanks for this info, although I still would like to see standard left and right inputs so I wouldn't have to use a 'Y' connector.

8. I'm down with the iDSD micro, all the way, after trying dozens of DACs (and spending too much money). This one blows them all away, from the W4S to the Oppo-HA1.

Now I only use my iDSD micro DAC section feeding into my SPL Auditor headphone amp and then into my HD800s. Against the Hugo, though?

It seems this is the DAC that most people compare against the Hugo, and I've read pros and cons of both, mostly that the Hugo has the ever so slight edge in SQ.

I'm not worried, however, about a small percentage in SQ, especially with the iDSD Pro coming out in May 2015 (or thereabouts).

I don't think the Hugo will stand a chance... only if you're going mobile, where the iDSD Pro is pure desktop.

On another note, the iCAN Pro has been revealed and it is switchable between tubes and SS. I don't know if it's for me since I have the Auditor as my HP amp, but man the specs sound so sexy.

LeeS likes this.
  9. RalphNYC

I hear you but as it stands the device is such a wonderfully compact marvel. it has different power levels for various headphone sensitivities. I use it with both my in-ear monitors and my NAD cans. It also functions as a preamp. I tried it in preamp mode into a tube power amp into my Harbeths and I absolutely loved the sound. And then it's a wonderful DAC. And you can strap it to your iPhone and have incredible portable audio. For the price I just find it ridiculous. No affiliation.

Shawn likes this.
  10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I like your enthusiasm and I love the Micro but I had the Hugo for a while and it is another level in my opinion.

But we will have to see what the iDSD Pro brings at around $1,500.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Nice review. You wouldn't be able to comment on how it stacks up to the Rega DAC-r, Schiit Gungnir, or PS Audio Nuwave would you?

12. LeeS

Unfortunately no but I really like the Gungnir as well.

13. ServingTheMusic

Lee, when do they expect the Pro to be available...I will probably want one site unseen!

14. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I just bought one of these and really like it a lot so far. I travel quite a bit and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms and it works great as a headphone amplifier / DAC. At home, I use it in the bedroom system where it functions really well as a DAC for an older CD player that I use as a transport and as an iPhone dock when I want to play something off that. I'm still trying to work out some of the features, but overall it's a really great product and sounds wonderful.

iFi is quickly becoming one of my favorite brands. I also have their iPhono phonograph preamplifier that I use with a VPI Traveler and it sounds fantastic. While I don't like paying money for features that I do not use, the ones that are on the iFi products are well thought-out and extend the application of the product so I do not need to purchase multiple items.

gd0 likes this.
  15. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Last I heard was that the iDSD Pro will be unveiled at the High End Show next month in Munich. Ifi has said that it will be available for purchase not long after that.

LeeS likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

awesome, thanks for that update.

17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You guys are making it hard for me to remain content with my Nano. :laugh:

18. LeeS

I'm told around June.

19. RalphNYC

I use the iFi iPhono with my Linn LP12 into LFD Mk iii and this is the best sounding vinyl system I've ever had. Been buying records and just digging it.

20. ServingTheMusic

Thanks Lee. I have serious expectations for this one..It will put other DAC makers on alert...

LeeS likes this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

What do you think about the different RIAA curves?

22. RalphNYC

I haven't tried them yet. I'll check that out this week and reply. I've only used it with the initial factory settings.

23. LeeS

Darren certainly is making a good case for how much value for dollar this is. I hope he is right and I cannot wait to listen to it.

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

That "stealth" display on the iFi Pro is seductive and ingenious. Almost to the point of raising suspicion of form over function. But the playback on my lowly Nano says otherwise.

LeeS likes this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

same here..i rarely anticipate a product like I am this one.

LeeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.