Peter Cetera - Underrated as a vocalist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I was just watching a bunch of Chicago videos from their golden era, and he had the perfect voice for their hits. I've seen him getting a lot of ridicule over the years but little praise.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great voice. The band would not have been the same without him.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Nice voice but a bit of a cheese fest!!......Very soppy!

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think the "cheesefest" really comes into play after the mid-seventies when Chicago's music really took a turn for the worse. But overall, his voice perfectly suited the songs he sang lead on; at times he could sound aggressive, at times on the softer side and others still, somewhere in the middle. He also had a great range which served both lead and backup vocals quite well. Of the three main vocalists in Chicago, his voice was the most versatile.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Nope.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. Scott S.

Wow, hardly any support here for the guy. I personally think this has something to do with his looks.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Nope.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Peter is underrated as a vocalist and he does have a versatile voice.

9. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Cetera has a great voice. Much prefer his early work with Chicago over his '80s solo career.

Rock66 and Scott S. like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Like a knight in shining armor from a long time ago
    Just in time, I'll save the day
    Take you to my castle far away

I am a man who will fight for your honor
    I'll be the hero you've been dreaming of
    We'll live together, knowing forever
    That we did it all for The Glory of Love . . .

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that it has a lot more to do with all of the syrupy shlock he delivered in the 80s. He's a solid vocalist with the group but not really outstanding, IMO.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

Underrated as a bassist.

Suncola, scousette, Chad75 and 7 others like this.
  13. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Agreed. Great bass player too.

Holy Diver likes this.
  14. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Fair enough. That's probably true. I suppose I am thinking more along the lines of "Glory Of Love". From Karate Kid I think?

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Just the other day I was listening to the classic original COLUMBIA CD pressing of "Chicago's Greatest Hits" and I'm decided that my all-time favorite Chicago hit, has to be, "Feeling Stronger Every Day". Cetera and the entire band just nail that great song, right to the core of a perfect TOP 40 smash!

I have to agree with a few others that I much prefer Peter with Chicago, than his solo career. If any solo album of Peter's that was underrated, it was the "World Falling Down", which had a bunch of great and radio friendly songs, that never got any airplay. Outside of that album and a few one-off hits, like "Glory Of Love" and Bobby Caldwell's "Next Time I Fall", with Amy Grant, Pete's solo career is VERY hit and miss.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Karate Kid II"

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Yes!

18. Scott S.

yeah I wasn't talking about his solo career, really.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I get the idea that Peter has some integrity. He called the other guys bluff when they told him theyd get another bassist for Chicago by saying "Ok, go ahead". And it was their loss.

While starting his solo career the powers that be basically told him he would have to sing Chicago songs. He said no to that also.

He seems to live a quiet decent life and does what he enjoys when he feels its something he wants to sing. But since he isnt strung out or the rock star kinda guy people have an issue with him. Has nothing to do with his voice.

Peter Cetera has a very distinctive voice. Not sure how well known it is how his style got started but he said it was due to his mouth being wired shut and he had to learn to sing in that clenched style. It stuck. And became his trademark. He has a great high range or at least had.

One of the best or underrated? I dont think either. But Id sure love to sing like that for a day.

As far as his sap level. Sure. But that comes down to taste. I bet a lot of the guys who make fun of that big 80s album now were pumped up by it at the time. Chicago is back! was the whole celebration at that time. And, its still a great ballad/love song 80s album.

20. Scott S.

Would you consider I've Been Searchin' So Long to be syrupy shlock? I think he does a great job on that.

Suncola likes this.
  21. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

22. He should've been put in jail for the rest of his life for recording that song.

manco, GodShifter and DCW like this.
  23. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I like him better solo than with Chicago. Great vocals; not a great vocalist. He cerainly knows how to layer/add effects to his voice (well his producer at least)

25. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.