Record Store Day 2015 (Side 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

As much as I love the RSD concept, its hard to argue with your observations.

2. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Alrighty then! I simply went by what was listed on the RSD website.

3. While it's true that stores will likely be stuck with those $13 7" singles, the Bon Jovi picturediscs and those Skrillex 12" from a while back, very, very little else is left on the shelves after a week and in many cases by the end of RSD.

My local even sold at least 4 of the U2 vinyl reissues on RSD. I thought they would sit.

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

the leftovers i am seeing are such a ripoff... the river $26.... a cassandra wilson billie holiday 10 inch for $20! it has like 10 minutes of music!

maybe that is why they are leftovers

5. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The Rough Trade website is rough right now, I did get plenty of stuff from Resident for us US buyers.

6. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

Springsteen's The River a ripoff at $26? Isn't that one supposed to be $37 because it's a double LP?

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for posting this , my order also says Processing ........ kinda bummed as i have seen all the Items i ordered in stores now ..... fingers crossed they pulled all the stuff .

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stopped in a local store this morning and got pretty lucky. Among my grabs were a lone copy of the 180-gram The Basement Tape and Elvis "My Happiness". I also grabbed the mono/stereo Otis Redding Sings Soul set, among several other things. :)

whaiyun, johnnypaddock and Clanceman like this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Nice score. I listened to The Basement Tape and Otis Blue this morning, and both sound fantastic.

10. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Today is my Record Store Day. Was able to get the following vinyl records:

U2 - Songs of Innocence 2LP (#1283);
    Jaco Pastorius - The Warner Brother Years;
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - A Little Something From the Road, Vol. 1;
    Miles Davis - The Prestige 10 Inch LP Collection, Vol. 2

11. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yeah, I laughed at the original post. A double album reissue that bests the original and is marked $11 under list price is a ripoff???

Anyway, the Springsteens aren't unique to RSD. They're gonna be available everywhere and won't go OOP. Should sell over time like the Aerosmith and Miles reissues.

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Dang you're lucky! Both of those are pretty hot ticket items!

13. serge

serge Forum Resident

must vary by region... all the hot items sell out in DC area in minutes

but in some areas people apparently walk in days later and there they are- MAGIC!

MarkO likes this.
  14. So, did anyone splurge on the Creation Artifact singles box? If so, anything to report on it quality-wise? I thought it was a UK-only release, but a copy has turned up at a local shop. And while I can't really justify the $120 price, not least because I have all the music on other releases and some of it really sucks (The Legend!), it's such a great fetish item.

15. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

I didn't suggest eBay sellers made up a large proportion of sales. I was referring to people who queue overnight (who are mostly eBay sellers), which in turn encourages others to queue to "compete" (and buy other things to sell to make it worth their while queueing for ages). The whole thing with people queuing up even longer each year is boring. I don't know what it's like in the US, but in England if you were to turn up 5 hours before opening time at the main record shops you'd have about 50 people in front of you. This year there were probably only a couple of releases you couldn't very easily pick up with no bother over the week after RSD.

16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I saw it and passed too. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised about all of the "UK only" exclusives that popped up in the Great White North. Just yesterday I picked up the Roxy Music 10" and the Mission of Burma. Previously I managed to find the Deep Purple mono and the Small Faces EP set.

17. bill13

bill13 Forum Resident

Hi! Somebody has any info about RSD Genesis first album box set? 3 LP+3 7 ? Many thanks!

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Picked it up and then put it back. The first 10 singles are not that great, only a couple like The Loft that are essential. Ironically a boxset of numbers 11 to 20 would have been far far better.

Had a look at a few UK sites today, as this is the first day they could list stuff, and there is lots of stuff still available at normal prices (well they are normal for us but people in the US will think they are expensive).

19. Was the Roxy 10" supposed to be UK only? Man, even this week, and even though it seemed to be moving OK last week, you can't swing a dead cat in an Ottawa record store without knocking one of those discs off the shelf. :)

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Can anyone comment on the Larry Young 10"??

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have to say I am so glad I didn't stress in line on RSD. Went into the city today and the first record store I went to had all the RSD 2015 records I wanted. Blew a wad of cash, though. Still, it'll be fun to play 'em all. Playin' new rekkids like it was 40 years ago.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

I got the Elvis 10" today and played the first 2 seconds at 45RPM with a microgroove needle. It's definitely 78RPM and I'll take a novice guess at it being a microgroove. The groove looks painted on instead of cut like an old 78 I compared it to. If the record player I bought on ebay last weekend shows up in working order, I'll give it a microgroove stylus-at-78 RPM whirl and see how it sounds.

sassi and MrRom92 like this.
  23. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I played it w/o issues on my Clearaudio Concept TT w/ Concept MC cart (micro line stylus) if that helps any.

sassi, MrRom92 and tingly like this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Just how much do they best the original? You ought to be able to grab a clean, used original for about ten bucks.

25. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

That should settle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.