"Tubey" sounding tube preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, but I don't mind the retro roll call..

I long ago came to the conclusion that tubes and solid state have converged in many ways...just like windows and Mac OS have.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

That's true in many ways.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I would be surprised if anyone can actually name a current production tube preamp that has the 1980's tubey sound.

4. mds

mds Forum Resident

I own a CJ Classic SE, and love it. The little extra for the SE is worth the money in my opinion. I use NOS Mollard 8080 tubes and they sound really nice.

5. ServingTheMusic

CJ keeps coming up...

The classic SE runs about 4Gs?

6. mds

mds Forum Resident

nope, about $2300.00, Line Stage only. Do not know the up cost for adding phono stage.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. ServingTheMusic

ah, thanks. sounds like a bargain. remote?

8. mds

mds Forum Resident

If you want a remote I believe the model is the ET3 that has the infrared remote however it is more money, about $3000 for the line stage, no phono.

9. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

1980's tubey sound?

10. ServingTheMusic

Thanks. I have a lot of experience with CJ amplifiers but very little with the preamps.

11. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

That's about two decades late. :)

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Hmmmm.....tubey sounding......tubes? As opposed to non tubey sounding tubes possibly? Learn something new everyday I guess!:)

warp2600 likes this.
  13. mds

mds Forum Resident

Actually all equipment has a sound characteristic and describing it sometimes is difficult. With that said, I understand what the OP is going for, I have tube equipment that sounds more like my expectations of what a "tube" sound would be verses another piece of tube equipment that I have that actually learns toward a nice "ss" sound and less of a "tube" sound. Both are nice and accurate, its the subtle flavor that he is going for, I believe.

Slick Willie likes this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

Exactly. Their is a very subtle velvety glow that some tube gear has...and quite frankly some tube components have none of those characteristics and could pass for SS. I have also had overly warm
    SS gear.

15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Thanks for clarifying. Not being a tube dude, this struck me as odd. Maybe it's kind of "SS ey sounding SS equipment? I know that not all SS equipment sounds the same, guess it's that way with tubes too. o_O

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes indeed. That was an era when tube pre-amps had the traditional romantic, harmonically rich sound. Some of that carried on into the early 90's. However, since that time both technologies have merged closer to each other. ARC started putting FETs in front of the first tube in the gain stage and other manufactures made an effort to follow suit in various ways. Which lead to a more "neutral" non tubey sound- industry wide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.