Applying custom EQ to lossless files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Master_It_Right, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I've been playing with the EQ settings in foobar2000 and I found one that I like the sound of. Does anybody know of a way I can apply this to tags, kind of in the same way one applies ReplayGain to tags so that supported programs play it back that way, without altering the original files?

Maybe I can recreate this EQ settings on my FiiO X1 possibly?

Thanks.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How can there possibly be one eq setting to make everything sound better? Serious question.

3. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

You have to change the audio in the file. A million apps will do it if FooBar won't. Then it goes everywhere that modified file goes.

Now....iTunes....you can in fact store an EQ curve on a per song basis that is recalled. This follows to the iDevices, though I don't use it enough to know if custom EQ curves get sync'd....there IS a gotcha, though--you have to globally turn the EQ "on"....and then set everything to "flat"---so that it doesn't have effect unless a different curve is selected--no way to just turn it on for a single song. It also adds a gain stage not accounted for by Soundcheck....so, if you're an avid Soundcheck user, that mostly goes out the window for anything not set to "flat".

Master_It_Right likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Well; manufacturers of equalizers and mini-systems have been trying to make us believe that one of the supplied preset eqs will suit our tastes just fine:laugh:. I have a Pioneer GR-777(top of the line in '92) and LMAO at the presets the second I saw them (never used them)

5. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

We all hear differently, and we also listen in different locations.

For headphones, age, lifestyle, personal taste - all have an effect.

For speakers, in addition to the above, the room and its contents, speaker and ear positioning all have an impact.

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

So are you saying that there IS a magic eq setting? I can't tell by what you said.

Edit...I understand that we all hear things differently. What I'm getting at is sure, some eq setting might work for one particular song but what about the next?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I'm nearly 62. Ten years ago I checked my hearing with test tones and found I could not hear above 12.5kHz. More recently I can't hear above 10kHz and my right ear is a bit different to my left. I can therefore use EQ settings to adapt to this.

Similarly some people use EQ to deal with room problems (there is more to dealing with room problems then EQ but that's another debate).

On both these examples the purpose of the EQ is to correct for deficiencies which have nothing to do with the music. So 'yes, these are what you call magic settings'. They apply to all music you play.

Of course you can use EQ to change the music for your tastes if you wish - more bass or treble etc.. You can even do this on top of the 'magic' settings. That could apply to all or just some of the music.

8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

This is what I was going to say, more or less. Some people EQ for their 'room' or particular setup. Having said that though, I wouldn't want the eq to be saved with the file(s).

gregorya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.