The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I guess Korn isn't well regarded around here but for me these guys are the best at combining hard de-tuned metal with melodic and interesting vocals.

2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

For some reason, Mr. Lawless & co entirely passed me by; ditto Belladonna's legacy.

There was so much intensity in those days and the concentration required to suckle the marrow of your preferred practitioners sufficiently so demanding, that choices had to be made and certain oeuvres had to be ignored: something had to give.

On the other hand, that what was core manna to so many can, thirty years or more, later, represent luscious, virgin territory to the ignorati, has to be good news in some respects.

I've been back to college for a sabbatical in reacquainting myself with the origins of (early) 'Maiden and feasting on one of Metal's most fabulously organic tales of creation.

I find it singularly rewarding to get into the nooks and crannies of a band's lineage and (re)familiarize with the recollections of its birthing and execution: members current and old, folk involved in the management thereof, producers and fans alike, plus the input of seasoned critics.

Thence to pause the VT and hit the turntable or CD, in order to appraise such well trodden pathways with a fresh perspective.

For example, playing The Number Of The Beast to better appreciate the absolute hurricane that is Dickinson's blaring battle horn or the swingier bits of Clive Burr's repertoire and then, better appreciate Nicko McBrain's outrageous technique and finally, the really absurd genius of Harris himself, on multiple levels.

I do feel it's time somebody incorporated a University of Rock & Metal.

Hail.

jeffgt14, slipkid and GodShifter like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

That first WASP album is magical...then you get to stuff like The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol and it took them to a whole other level.

jeffgt14, GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I agree that the first W.A.S.P. album is really good. For me, it's stood the test of time unlike a lot of other metal and hard rock that came out of the LA scene. Blackie's voice has a real gravitas to it even singing about fairly banal subject matter. I think his voice translated to the more serious stuff like The Headless Children very well for this reason. The music is also of high quality as well.

Brudy, jeffgt14, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

See them live - it'll seal the deal. They bring the heavy in concert but retain that weird quirkiness with the country and other influences. Lots of fun - last time I saw them they did this thing where they were picking out people in the crowd wearing different band t-shirts and then doing a snippet of each band's music. They were shifting from Iron Maiden to Rammstein to Motorhead and nailing it every time. Impressive. And they weren't planted 'cuz I was the guy in the Rammstein T.

D.D.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Speaking of "see it live", The Missing Link Tour is on the road right now with Mastodon and Clutch. The night I saw them Clutch was on before Mastodon closed the show. I wouldn't want to follow Clutch onstage and from what I saw, by the end of this tour Mastodon won't want to, either. New Clutch album in the fall and the two new tunes they played were smokin' hot in the Earth Rocker style.

D.D.

Stormrider77 and GodShifter like this.
  7. Trillmeister

Any guidance as to which editions/issues of early W.A.S.P to seek out (for sound quality?)

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Personally I think they nailed it with their remasters...but I'm not as picky as some around here.
    Certainly the Crimson Idol remaster sounds far and away better than the original pressing.

9. Trillmeister

Cheers, Curve; I'll board the time machine next week. ;)

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think we have a lot of folks with PhDs in Rock & Metal in this thread who could be Professors at that University ;)

motorcitydave likes this.
  11. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

The new Tribulation album, The Children of the Night, is well worth catching, too!

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

blackie has a perfect voice to sing hard rock/metal just like alice cooper does. blackie is even good on the handful of ballads w.a.s.p. has done. "forever free" and "hold on to my heart" have killer vocals by blackie especially the unplugged "hold on to my heart"

13. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

The best I've heard is on this collection:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrere-Yea...ie=UTF8&qid=1430019866&sr=1-19&keywords=saxon

Those are the one's I have, tons of bonus and live tracks on them. I can't count the beers I drank listening to their first 2 discs as a teen. Always put them above all the other early 80's L.A. bands.

Rapid Fire likes this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I bought the first W.A.S.P. album when it came out and loved it. One of the few albums (cassette in this case) that I remember when and where I bought it. Not sure why. Still listen to it, and to The Last Command but for some reason I stopped listening to them after that. I have heard The Headless Children and it's a great album.

What are the best three albums not listed above? What are some random great songs?

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the 3 best not listed are
    crimson idol
    dying for the world
    dominator or babylon

K.F.D. is a really interesting album. its industrial metal. the songs worked great live. maybe get the live album DOUBLE LIVE ASSASSINS since it has 9-10 songs from studio albums released after headless children.

some cool random songs not on the albums i mentioned? "who slayed baby jane", "helldorado", "let it roar", "asylum #9", "raging storm" and "clockwork mary"

16. old school

old school Senior Member

Mother Engine heavy psych from Germany!
    Approved bootleg of the bands gig at the KEEP IT LOW FESTIVAL at Feierwerk Munich, October 19 2013.

Setlist:
    1. Nebel (Arbeitstitel)
    2. Trümmer
    3. Colour (Arbeitstitel)
    4. Brett Hart
    5. Relief

Chris Trautenbach - Gitarre
    Cornelius Grünert - Schlagzeug
    Christian Dressel - Bass

Homebase: Plauen, Germany

SwollenGoat and Brudy like this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Since Matthew Tate covered the albums, I'll tackle some random essential songs post Crimson Idol:

Seas of Fire
    Crazy
    Into The Fire
    Mercy
    Long, Long Way To Go
    My Wicked Heart
    Hate To Love Me
    Charisma
    Asylum #9
    Come Back To Black
    Somebody To Love (one of the best covers of all time!)

18. Trillmeister

Although broadly ignorant of their output, that vocal is oh-so familiar.

I do remember it as a soundtrack to an epoch, emanating from innumerable Heavy Rock pubs, bars and clubs which peppered the northern English citadel wherein I cranked out my degree in Creedlore.

Coming after the Zeppelin/Purple/Sabbath genesis, then flashing blade of the NWOBHM, I guess the sight of so much make up and overly starched hair, felt ere so incongruous to a footsoldier of Kilminster: even if it was all executed in subconscious reverence to classic Kiss and that whole 'party' imperative.

It's why I was always so impressed with BOC; to a Limey, they conveyed certain, inexplicably romantic tenets and critical aspects of '70s [heavy] rock 'n' roll Americana' but with a twist so so intelligent it transcended that whole, mindless binge vibe, even though their own 'experimentations' undoubtedly transpired.

Just listening to Blackie, now, its like, "oof! What a voice!" Bring it hither...

GodShifter, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  19. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

The Burning Crows - Murder at the Gin House

[​IMG]
    1. Hell To Pay
    2. Come On
    3. Shine
    4. Alright
    5. Goodbye (To the Sunshine)
    6. 11:27
    7. Little Bit More
    8. She's the Summertime
    9. Feels Like Home
    10. Holding on

Having listened to The Burning Crows Murder at the Gin House a few times now, I can say that it is a very good album indeed. The big riffs, infectious hooks and hard rock swagger we all know and love are there in spades. Whippz and Lance's dual guitars complement each other perfect, Will's dirty bass groove, Chris's tight as f**k drumming, and of course Whippz's vocals make for a fine hard rock recipe.

Shine

From the first album

Time

Slow Up, Get Down

All The Way

I should note that it is not on general sale until June. I got an early copy as I was a Pledge music contributor.

slipkid likes this.
  20. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I’m not sure about the remasters but I like the originals a lot. The Headless Children is a great sounding CD. Either way, no matter what format or version you listen to, Blind in Texas will still kick your ass.

21. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Oh man - the Terminator thing. Totally...

22. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

That's awesome. They have an album on Spotify from 2014 I'll have to check out.

old school likes this.
  23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Question: Are UK pressings (LP) of Priest better than the US ones? I just have the UK of 'Killing Machine' and that one kicks.

24. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I prefer US for everything except Sin After Sin and Sad Wings.

motorcitydave likes this.
  25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, that's cool. I'm listening to the US 'Sin after Sin' right now, which prompted my question. It's a little flat sounding. Anyway, have you heard the UK 'Killing Machine,' because to me, it's really, really good.